Need help with biting baby mini!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa R.

Reaction score
This is the first time I've posted and look forward to talking to all of you!! I've owned horses for many years and just recently purchased a mini jack. He is now 8 months old and is getting a little bratty! At first he was very sweet and loveable, and still is for the most part. But, when you turn your back on him, he charges you and nips at you. I have popped him on the mouth and told him "NO" and that seems to back him up, but as soon as I turn around....... here we go again!! Oh, he also needs to be gelded. As soon as the twins make their appearance, they will be removed!! I'm hoping that will help. I have a 3 yr. old daughter who loves him dearly, but I am getting worried about him biting her or knocking her down. He also attacked my dog this past weekend, and actually knocked the dog out for about 5 minutes!! Is there anyway to teach him not to attack the dogs and cats or is that an instinct that can't be changed? I would appreciate any help out there and thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
saludando.gif

Oh, he also needs to be gelded. As soon as the twins make their appearance, they will be removed!! I'm hoping that will help
That will also help the biting problem also... It is a male thing.. Because a donkey matures lots faster then horses...Some have even been known to settle mares and or Jenny's at under 12 months of age.. So He is now 8 months and may already showing a few sign of being a stud...So I would say as soon as you can see that is has dropped or even if one has feel around one maybe just under the skin and they both can come out...

Hi, and WELCOME to the forum! I would say too, that as soon as the twins drop, I would get those twins removed. He should calm down then. Dogs and cats do seem to be a instinct with donkeys, I have had a few, when I first got them home they would chase and try to stomp my barn cats out of there stalls, in the pasture it was the same thing. After a good 2 weeks of the donkeys finally realizing that the cats were only going to sit on the top of there stalls and look at them, things seemed to get alot better. Now if a cat goes into the stall or crosses thru the pastures all they do is put there heads down and chase them out. No stomping anymore. Hope you enjoy your donkey and we would love to see a picture of him! Corinne

Thanks to both of you for your advice!! I look forward to visiting this site often and will try to post a pic of my baby.

Lisa

Donkeys have a natural dislike for dogs. That is why many are used as guardians.

If the donkey has the chance and inclination your dog will at somepoint become a pasture pizza. If he behaves when you are around the dog will have a false sence of security and it will be all over. They will need to be separated and or watched at all times.

Latest posts

Back