need help with a rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane=P

Reaction score
We had neighbor ask us to take their pony & mini donkey for them, we knew they were thin, but I had no idea how bad they were, until I saw them , then I knew I could never leave them there, she would be dead soon . The donkey is thin, but should be able to bounce back with some good food. But the pony mare is in terrible condition. I would call her on a scale of 1- 10 , a 2 .She is skin and bones. The pony is only 4or 5 yrs old , not sure on the donkey. I have my dentist coming Saturday and will have her check their mouths

They told me they were to busy to keep up on feeding them and then they were only feeding them a 10% sweet feed, and probably feed them every couple of days , from what I am hearing now

I am working them over to trotter (14% pellet) and feeding 3 times daily and giving all they hay they want . I also gave the pony a little red cell to help her appetite. I found a pony blanket for her, its a little bit big, but better then nothing. I am attaching pic's of them. Any ideas on how to help them, let me know .It has been awhile since I have done a rescue and never one this bad. I will talk to my vet tomorrow about her, I just email him pic's of her. Any ideas or help would be helpful

Thanks ...JANE

pony

pony

pony

pony

donkey

donkey

That is just so sad. Thank heaven you are able to take them in. Ms Pony looks more like a 1 to me.
default_sad.png

A study was done a few years ago. I don't remember what university. They found that alfalfa was the best thing to start out the very bad starved ones. The horses were able to utilize the nutrients without any bad side effects. In the study, the ones that were started on grain products went bad after a week or so. The Alfalfa horses improved and survived.

Small feedings of alfalfa many times per day.

I wish I could find that information again. If I do I'll post it here.

Bless you. I hope those kids survive and thrive for you.

Charlotte

Oh my - those backbones - they both look TERRIBLE, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what that donk has in the belly is worms:(.

Do be cautious on overfeeding, I took in a very underweight mare once and my equine vet recommended full hay, the first night she started to colic from overeating. So for me many small meals is less scary.

Thank you for taking them in.

Good for you for taking them in. I would give them soaked beet pulp, that will help with some weight gain and water intake. Smaller meals are better than larger ones. Watch that your hay isn't too rich, that will also cause a problem.

It just breaks my heart to see animals starving,so sad
default_no.gif
. Thank you for taking in these 2,they're gonna think they've died and gone to heaven
default_hypocrite.gif

I rescued a biggie a couple of years back that was in just slightly better shape than your pony. He had been living on moldy alfalfa and what wooden fence boards he could eat until we got him home.

I started him out on a grass/alfalfa mix and Purine Equine Senior. When a horse is so poor in shape, they have a hard time digesting anything rich, and the Equine Senior is formulated so that it can be digested even if it is not chewed. It is very mild yet carries all of the nutrients for a horse in this condition. My biggie gained over 200 lbs, and now is fabulously shiny and happy and will never need for food again. I hope the same fate is in the future for these two.

I can't wait to see updates of them as they get fat and happy, they are lucky to have you.

I had a donkey that looked like this one, is the donkey a jenney or jack, do you know where your neighbors might of gotten it from?

Hi, I justed wanted to say I agree with Reijels Mom. I would give them handfuls only and slowly increase more feed. I would NOT give them all the hay they want definetly at first.

I have my CCW and a bullet with all animal abusers name on it. This makes me sick sad and then MAD as heck!

I would never hurt an animal I would like to hurt some humanes! I wish I could lock bad people up in a stall with a paddlock

And not feed them for a month they would be lucky if I gave them water! Sorry about my rant.

You Have a HEART OF GOLD bless you for saving them! I send you all the luck.

Please keep us up dated for I love happy endings!

Desiree'

Alfalfa is great, Equine senior is usually the choice for many animal hospitals. It is extremely gentle on their system.

Good for you for taking these two.......And taking pictures is a good idea. I can just imagine the owners coming back after you've brought them up to snuff and then wanting them back!

Both are probably going to need worming. We've had six full sized horses in similar shape as the pony this past year get dumped on us..... We still have two we are working on. I agree about feeding Equine Senior feed (gradually introducing), plus mixing some alfalfa into their menu. We have done both the alfalfa pellets and the forage, depending on the horse.

Be sure to give us some before and after pics in a few weeks.....Please?
default_smile.png

When we did a huge rescue of minis here in KS. a few years back. We did a senior feed and BP soaked four times a day in small amounts. Then in two weeks cut back to three times a day and after a month to 2X daily. Use care on worming them right away. They were body scale of 1-2 and their teeth were horrible. Good for you for taking them & good luck.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you for taking them in.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah That poor pony wouldn't have lived much longer. I agree with the smaller frequent feedings. Talk with your vet about which wormer would be best and when. I can't wait to see what the "after" pics look like!! Please keep us updated.

I would suggest if you do deworm them, start with something mild like Strongid, not with Ivermectin. Your vet will best be able to advice a deworming program.

Be sure you don't feed them too much, too soon. Regular, good quality food with have them bouncing back quickly, so don't try to push it!

You are a good soul to rescue these two. I agree the donkey doesn't look as bad... donkeys are often angular like that, moreso than a horse.

Andrea

You are a angel for taking in those poor babies. I agree on the small feedings 3-4 times a day.

Good Luck
default_wub.png

That is just shameful. Why didn't they do something sooner? Years ago I sold my brothers horse I had given him. She was thin. But, not that thin. He wanted to ride her and have all the fun and none of the work. I think he had her about a month before I put her up for sale. I told him if he was unable or unwilling to take care of her he could not have her. I did feed her when I saw he was not doing it. I also think that if someone does not feed an animal or is otherwise cruel, Whatever they do to that animal should be done to them. That might slow down some of the cruelty that goes on.

Thank you for the giant heart you have! You can IM or PM me if you need any donations...food, blanket, etc of course $. I don't have a million bucks to donate, but I certainly would be willing to help out anyway I can!

Thanks Everyone, I will try the vintage feed, and I have alfalfa pellets, I will add in, I will try to make small meals, My husband is out of work for his back right now, so he can do feeding thru out the day for them. We will just try to take it one day at a time. and I will try to get my vet tomorrow and go over things with him and I will in the next day or so worm them .

The pony is the sweetest thing, she just loves attention , donkey is little bit more stand offish , but will come around. I am so peeved at my neighbors, I am hearing more about how they just didn't feed them, and didn't really care, they just keep fighting about who should take care of them, instead of doing it.

I had my husband call them and tell them they are lot worst then we were lead to believe and I want them to sign them over to us , its going to cost alot to try to save them and I am not doing all this and then giving back, so he said he had to talk to his girlfriend , if he tries to say he wants them back, I will be calling the SPCA, they had already been called about the horses, and he told them are gone ,and wouldn't tell them were they are, so I will let them know where they are and how bad shape they are and get them in as much trouble as I can possible can. We know where the other horses went too. I will be taking alot of pictures of them.

I wish I had seen them sooner, they moved them up behind the house, were they couldn't be seen and until they asked my husband to move the other horses they had given away, we didn't know they were in that bad shape and told them we would take them , I just hope that it was in time to save them.

I will keep updates on them and Thanks for all your ideas and wonderful offers of help...JANE

Latest posts

Back