Need Help with a 15 Year old Broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danielle I will have to see if the feed stores carry it here.

I have one more question about the sunflower seeds.

It is ok to give to a mare that is nursing and is it ok for the foal to eat?

Thanks again I will update you on her progress.

Thanks Deanna I appreciate the help. We miss you.

My horses all get BOSS, regardless of age or stage. I will second the Equine Sr suggestion - I have a 29 year old QH mare who is a bit of a hard keeper. She does beautifully now on Equine Sr, coastal hay, beet pulp plus about 1/2 cup BOSS 3-4 times a week. I've had the same experience as Marty with Purina. Years ago I was feeding a locally milled feed and switched to Purina. Suddenly my horses were looking better and getting slicker on less feed. I"ve pretty much been a Purina fan since then.

Jan

Thanks Jan I just wanted to make certain that it was ok for all of my horses.

aktion033.gif

Just be careful with the BOSS and the babies. The seeds are pretty hard and crunchy and a baby might have a hard time with it at first. If it were me I would feed the BOSS seperately to the mare and keep the baby away from it, I think it would just be too hard on those baby teeth.

Carlene the only thing I would add here is on the "all in one feed" mentioned earlier or any all in one feed, I was told on here and by doc that those feeds are great for big horses as that is what they are designed for but the other products in the feeds....in order to get the daily reccommended amount you would have to feed your horse since it is a mini a larger amount of feed would need to be fed to get the proper amount of vitimans, beet pulp, boss or whatever is in that particular feed....hopefully I worded that properly, but most reccommend feeding suppliments seperately it is more of a pain but in miniatures it is easier to make sure they get the correct amounts check with a vet or local feeds stores the two we have spoken about have been great with us as far as explaining what would fit our needs, and oh Carlen Mauriceville also sells purina this is who we bought from.....and I know farmers has their senior feeds which he has told me is just like purina senior feeds.....very knowledagble man!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would K I S S her. Keep It Simple Silly Find a good Senior Feed, Purina makes a superior product. She wouldn't need any additives. Look it up at Purina Feeds.com and click on equine feeds then products, scroll down to Equine Senior and read.

Thanks to all who responded and I will change her over to equine senior. I think this will make a difference with her.

saludando.gif

Most horses will lose weight in the heat of the summer. Especially with the triple digits we have had in Texas this past week or more.

Try feeding her something with less protein in it until the weather levels out and also a pelleted feed.

Beth

I think you will see results with senior feed.

Just want to put a plug in for one of the ones I use. I feed all my minis Blue Seal Vintage Senior for breakfast, no hay. For dinner, they get a small amount of Purina Equine Senior and some soft orchard grass & alfalfa hay.

I like both the purina and blue seal senior feeds. WHAT I like about the blue seal over the purina is the shape and texture. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it looked like I was feeding my minis dog food. The feed is extruded and shaped in these larger and oval / rounded. It takes my minis quite a long time to eat it, vs. the little pellets that are Purina Senior. I like it to take them a longer time to eat.

Latest posts

Back