need help w/ 10 day old filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am also sorry that you are so far from me. I have a mare that will nurse anything.

As of right now she is doing great. Drinking her milk like a pig but won't have much to do with the water. LOL. She is still trying to figure me and everything out. She is curious so that helps. I try to sit with her as much as i can. helps me take my mind of things too. Nice having a quite place to be.

I did see the post on the igloo cooler, she still doesn't care for the nipple. she licks the syrup off and that is the end of it, so as long as she drinks all her milk I figure she will be fine.

At least I hope. God keeps handing me things to keep me going I guess, first saving the Great Dane, Blade who loves taking a bale of hay and turning it into a giant chicken nest in my feed shed.

Then 3 weeks ago I rescued a very small yorkie from a puppy mill that has no teeth. Stopped and bought her some chicken wings on the way home and couldn't understand why she couldn't eat them. 5 year old female with no teeth, skin problems and loves to sleep on my head.

Then now this little bundle of kicking, licking love.

God if your reading this, " I'm busy!"

Love to everyone and thank you so much for being there for me again.

Dont worry about her drinking water at this point if she is drinking a lot of milk -- foals do not drink water while they are very young and rarely before they are 2-1/2 - 3 mos old. Actually drinking water instead of her milk could be a sign of ulcers, so watch her carefully (I might even suggest that you put her on UlcerGuard now, just as a precaution since she is in a stressful situation) You might be able to switch her to goats milk which has a high fat content if it looks like she needs a little something "extra".

Good luck - big job, but so rewarding - if you can get her a buddy, it would be helpful from a social standpoint - even a little goat would be great.

Stacy

I am just now getting to this thread. I am so sorry for the loss of your mare, but also very happy to read that your little one has taken to the bucket so well. What a relief, and sure beats having to bottle feed! I really hope things slow down now a little for you! Take care, and best of luck.

I'm so sorry you lost your mare.
default_no.gif
Sounds like the filly is doing good though! That's a relief!
default_biggrin.png
Your "rescues" should keep you very busy.....but the love and companionship they give you makes it all worthwhile.
default_yes.gif

Back