need help suggestions something!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mona said:
How about blindfolding her?
463397[/snapback]

This has worked for us and also works for deer. Can't hurt to give it a try. Maybe since some time has passed the horse may be a little more relaxed.

Nerve line also known as a War Bridle. Someone tried that on my QH when I was a teen and she almost killed everybody around her. There were some VERY surpirsed people.

If there is a bar or something you can use for leverage at the front of the trailer, take the lead, loop around the furthest front bar, do a double loop around the second bar. When ever the horse steps forward to get relief from the pulling of the halter pull the line tight, you will be able to stand there without wearing yourself out because of the leverage. It may take awhile but she will get in the trailer. I had to do that to a horse once that wouldn't get out of the trailer. it took about 1/2 hour, I was a teen at the time and the adults had given up.

Robin

Another thing is might want to have the people who have been trying it step back and let others try all togther. sometimes there feeling of pressure will make it harder she may just walk right in with "strangers"

Personally I would try sedating her with Rompun (Xylazine) in the Muscle so that it relaxes her before it knocks her out. After giving her the shot wait about 10 minutes and then blindfold her, wait another 5 or 10 minutes and then try to load her.

I have also used the snake approch......using a lungwhip or driving whip, gently "tickle" her back ankles with it, ok more than a tickle but not whipping either.

Pack her in, no ropes use your hands. Lock your hands together two people and push her in. Done it a million times if not once and I used to be a skinny thing and two of us could push in a 1200 lb racehorse. Last resort lip chain. Instead of rope or twine use a stud chain run it over the gum. Use the two together and she should go in. I hope!

If she is already wound up the Rompun wont work that and other sedatives need to be given before they are ticked off.

Here is something I saw, wouldn't recommend in any type of situation but this.

Two people were trying to load a horse, horse would not go in. They tied the horse to the inside of the trailer (obviously need a good halter & lead) One got in and drove while the other held the door open and walked along. They went forward just fast enough that the horse had to trot to keep up. Driver stepped on the brakes and horse's momentum made him hop in. The second person slammed the door shut behind him and off they went.

Yep I have issues with some of the "technique" but if we are talking last chance here.
whistling.gif

minicount, thats unbelievable! Boy they were using there heads huh? I guess you got to do what you got to do huh?

Good suggestions here... here is another one...

Make sure that the trailer seems "open" enough... (ie: Take out dividers, open windows, etc...) to make sure there is enough light in the trailer.. take the trailer to an area where it can be backed up into something that will make the trailer floor, (if you do not have a ramp) level with the ground. Take a large SOFT rope and make a butt rope out of it, with the end threaded through the bottom ring of her halter. Have someone thread the lead through the front window of the trailer and, wearing gloves, start a slow pull backwards on the rope to snug it up on her hindend. At 900lbs you should be able to have two men lock arms behind her and while the rope is being tightened behind her, start pushing her forward towards the trailer. Above all, make sure the handlers are staying CALM and praising her everytime she makes a step forward. I don't know that I would use Rompun as I have seen alot of horses that just do not react well to it. Talk to the vet about an alternative..

Best of luck with her...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Is there another horse on the trailer or have they already moved all the others?

The buddy system would probably help some if there is still a buddy around.

When my sister bought Pacific Bailey's grand daughter she was three. Had only been loaded once when she was weaned to go to this woman's house. We tried everything trying not to rush her into it. Finally we had some guys link arms with their forearms at her buttocks and push her to encourage her up into the trailer with my sister inside the trailer and this did work. We did lift one of her hooves (my job) up on the trailer before they pushed. Now she loads like a charm. Normally we do the approach and walk away with them method if there is time.

Fran

Latest posts

Back