Need help on hac ked up mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
My stud rubbed his mane a few weeks ago.I started using a slinking to stop it. But yesturday I took it of.And now his mane is worse. He has some areas that have no hair.Is there any ideas what I can to do for the local fair in 2 weeks for it. It is not a big fancy class for his halter.Will I get penalized for this.
mane001.jpg
mane002.jpg

You might have to take a lot of it off leaving a small section of mane where it hasn't been damaged.

Many people leave only a short section of mane giving the appearance of a longer archy neck.

Give him a good wash, really scrub the mane and rinse it well. I would use MTG on his mane per the directions on the bottle. Then I would do one of the longer bridle paths, as many minis owner do anyway. Then try and blend his shorter mane into the longer mane hair with pulling. Does that make sense? It is difficult to see if he really has a bald spot or just shorter hair in some areas.

You may also take a look at your set up, I am assuming that he is reaching between the boards of a fence either to itch or get grass on the other side or both. Maybe you can had a hot wire there so he can not get his head through? Just a suggestion.

You could do a patch, pull some of the longer hair and then match it up on a string and temporarily attach for the show. I have had to do this.

With his neck I wonder if doing long clip would hurt him confirmationally. It looks IMHO that he would need it.

Can you wash his mane, condition it well, comb it out then get a picture that shows from his head all the way back to his withers? It will really help everyone evaluate your horses conformation to see how to clip his mane best. How far you clip back depends a lot on the conformation of the neck.

Just an fyi for future reference. If you leave even a small bit of shampoo or conditioner in the mane it will cause them to itch like that. Also never put a hoodie on a soaking wet mane. That also causes them to itch.

I would NOT clip all the way to the withers. Your going to have to just make do with what you have. If you flatten it really well you can cover some of those holes a bit. Then I would hair spray the crap out of it right before you class
default_smile.png

Good luck!

Kay

PS I would get some MTG on there to regrow it but remember do not put MTG on and put them in sunlight as the oil can burn

Make sure if you do as Kay says to wash the mane after you are done with your classes for the day so he doesn't start itching from that.

If you don't have hairspray - you can try some pomeade - after a suggestion from pony friends (which I couldn't find the brand they were talking about) I found in the ethnic section at Wally World, a pomeade that was thick enough to set a mane and also condition while showing!

I might suggest if you don't patch in, then I would shorten the longest a bit to make an overall match of the mane, since it is choppy.

I had the same exact situation with Tulip's mane last year for Congress and pulling (or trimming if you are talented) to even it out made a great difference and made her look even.

Here's a pic:

Anderson51-9SC08.jpg

After much work and a good feed program over the winter, she has got about 8" on her mane now and her tail drags!

Just my 2 cents, but I think roached manes look fabu!

I've seen some ah... "accidents" come into the ring roached, and they always seemed to do just fine. I think it really helped them. Mocha's Keep Her In Kalico showed her yearling year sans mane. She had an awesome neck and it just looked even more awesome without the mane.

I'd rather go in roached then spikey, hacked up or with an artful comb over. ;)

If he were mine, I'd say "to heck with it!" and go to town.
default_biggrin.png

I would not roach the mane but I would do as a couple of folks suggested and give it a good wash and conditioner, and make SURE he is not in a place where he can reach through to rub it out. It will grow back in and I have known others who had temporary 'disasters' like this (or their show mare that another horse ATE the tail off SHORT just two months before Nationals!!) and it didnt seem to count against them. They are looking at the horse and conformation- or should be, not how much mane the horse has. Just go show, dont worry about it much and have fun!!

If you are showing - PLEASE DO NOT ROACH THAT MANE. Sorry, but that is not normal in the miniature world. Hacked up manes, bitten manes, bitten or chomped tails, judges do see that and seem to pass over that fact for the most part. But roached manes on miniatures in show is not normal. JMHO!
default_biggrin.png

If you are showing - PLEASE DO NOT ROACH THAT MANE. Sorry, but that is not normal in the miniature world. Hacked up manes, bitten manes, bitten or chomped tails, judges do see that and seem to pass over that fact for the most part. But roached manes on miniatures in show is not normal. JMHO!
default_biggrin.png
Ah, where's your sense of adventure?!
default_firstprize.gif

After one of our shows a Worlds judge was telling us that he'd rather see a roached job being shown then one who's got a rubbed out zig zag mane. We have shown a lot of times over the years with only about 4/6 inches of mane left down by the withers because they were rubbed scraggly and a few times there were huge holes between parts but the bottoms were even so they went that way. This year my fave guy is going almost roached because he's been a busy boy over the winter on the corner of his hut and it's a heck of an uneven rubbed out mess from his poll down to the last hairs on the withers so l'm thinking thats all he's going to be showing with is that little 2 inch patch on his withers for measuring. To me a mane is only on the one side anyway so if there's a thick neck to hide it's not fooling anyone standing looking from the other side..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Well I did suggest evening out the mane. I know each judge has their own opinion. Oh well! LOL!

Thaught I update on the bad mane. I did the best I could without trying to loose too much.As I really loved it when he had the long mane and tail before. IHe got High point halter horse of the day. Was about 20 halter horses shown that day. And it was hot hot hot.
HPIM0842.jpg

Littleum said:
Just my 2 cents, but I think roached manes look fabu!
I've seen some ah... "accidents" come into the ring roached, and they always seemed to do just fine. I think it really helped them. Mocha's Keep Her In Kalico showed her yearling year sans mane. She had an awesome neck and it just looked even more awesome without the mane.

I'd rather go in roached then spikey, hacked up or with an artful comb over. ;)

If he were mine, I'd say "to heck with it!" and go to town.
default_biggrin.png
muffntuf said:
default_biggrin.png
More importantly, roaching is against the rules if you show AMHR. Too bad, I love the look on some horses and would love to be able to do it for CDE!

Leia

His mane looks much better and you did exactly what I have done just pull the mane so it is not so obvious and wait for it to grow out. I have showed with a pulled mane and did just fine

oh dear.i would put a running plait in the mane, down to as far as it goes until its okay

I would cut a rather longish bridle path and leaving some of the dammaged main and undammaged. Then I would blend it from the under side using one of those combs they sell at wal-mart they call the fur-buster. You could even take a blade apart and using the sharp comb part of the blaed to get the job done. These two methods work when someone gets that chopped off look on a forlock.

Latest posts

Back