Need help for pot bellied mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Lori.

Speaking of Cayuga Feed, I just wanted to mention that we use their Master Mix (sweet feed) with soya oil added. I've been using it for years (although the addition of the oil is new) even when we used to drive Chico five miles a day, and it has been a fabulous product for us!! So far we haven't had any belly problems (except for a few that got a little too big maybe!
biggrin.gif
).

Just another suggestion to add to your list.....

Are you ready for Nationals yet????

Sunny said:
Hi, Lori.
Speaking of Cayuga Feed, I just wanted to mention that we use their Master Mix (sweet feed) with soya oil added.  I've been using it for years (although the addition of the oil is new) even when we used to drive Chico five miles a day, and it has been a fabulous product for us!!  So far we haven't had any belly problems (except for a few that got a little too big maybe! 
biggrin.gif
). 

Just another suggestion to add to your list.....

Are you ready for Nationals yet????

459002[/snapback]

Hi Judy

That is the feed I was using in the winter that HAD selenium in it and it is my usual feed although like you say the soya oil is new - I don't use it cause I put corn oil in their grain. The oats switch was something I do with the driving horses cause then I can add only exactly what they need in their diet but this guy has me baffled - hoping the minerals do the trick. I have switched him back to the sweet feed that he was on during the winter when he was in great shape - remember the Old Bell show at the start of the summer - he was tight as a drum - now he is as round as one!!! Everyone else is in fighting shape and ready to go! Me - well, I'm getting there! Nationals here we come!!!!!!!!!

Can I add something without being flamed by Milo.

This is a friendly forum and has been for several years. I know other forums aren't quite like this, but we want to keep it that way. I see your new to here, please keep it friendly and respectful
yes.gif

minisch said:
This is a friendly forum and has been for several years.  I know other forums aren't quite like this, but we want to keep it that way.  I see your new to here, please keep it friendly and respectful 
yes.gif

459202[/snapback]

wub.gif
.:Ditto:.

minisch said:
This is a friendly forum and has been for several years.  I know other forums aren't quite like this, but we want to keep it that way.  I see your new to here, please keep it friendly and respectful 
yes.gif

459202[/snapback]

I don't believe I "flamed" anyone. I merely pointed out to Lyn that she was mistaken in believing that I was disregarding her advice as useless. As it turns out it is looking like she was wrong in her assumption. I have had Beau on loose mineral with selenium for 4 days now and he has been gobbling it up. He is already showing improvement - his belly is considerably less swollen then it was. I am increasing his grain but there hasn't been a big enough increase of grain to have had any effect as yet AND he is still getting his 15 pounds of hay per day!!! To the lady who sent the email about her chubby girl and the advice her vet gave her - one BIG THANK YOU!!!

midnight star stables said:
Hello
saludando.gif

I myself think you are being pretty respectful, & I don't see anything wrong with what you posted.

Desiree

460208[/snapback]

Thanks - this being my first time posting I don't exactly know how everything works but I did come on here with a legitimate desire to get some help! Wouldn't have asked if I didn't want some answers. I truly appreciate EVERYONE'S efforts to help even if they may not have had the solution. I am hoping that I now have something to go on and am already seeing some improvement so I think I do! I appreciate your comments and want everyone to know I wouldn't go out of my way to purposely offend anyone. Thank you Forum for being here when I needed help!

Hi Lori!
saludando.gif

I too, think, with what you posted is fine. You have to defend yourself sometimes and you did it (IMO) without flaming anyone...just making your point respectfully!
yes.gif

Good luck with Beau, and let us know how he progresses!

Good luck at Nationals!
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif

-Kristin

Well hello,

I'm new here also..gosh, I also posted about my pot bellied yearling and got good advise. Some I will use but not all of it. Feel that is my choice but appreciate all the help regardless. I sure do love my new mini. I show and fit big Paint horses and still will be finding fitting my mini to be a blast. So different then fitting my big halter horses..Check out my big ones at www.washingtonstatepainthorses.com

((hugs)) to you all!
yes.gif

I would also recommending reworming and do NOT take him off salt. We knew some people years ago who about lost a whole herd of horses because they had no salt blocks for them. They finally called the vet because they could not figure out what was wrong - that was it. (they had all lost weight like they were starving) I would still offer salt blocks- plain and mineral. Ours eat a lot.

Latest posts

Back