Need help for pot bellied mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MiLo Minis said:
lilfoot said:
Hi Lori?  Is that you?  I feel your frustration on the pot belly issue.  I've got an older guy here that I've been working on since the fall!  Still no real changes
wacko.gif
   Our guy had his teeth floated, dewormed on schedule, dlb dose 5 day too, grain increased gradually, beet pulp, flax, exercise...& we've followed all forum advice.  He is now on 4 cups X2/day Purina Senior & I'm waiting to see.  I agree with all the others that it's the right grain that helps.  Sometimes just increasing isn't enough.  You need to find out what that individual is lacking or what his own special diet requirements are.  Good Luck!

And thanks again for the driving clinic you gave for our 4-H club 2 wks ago!!

Sandy

457863[/snapback]

Hi Sandy Yes its me! Finally got frustrated enough with Beau and his belly to try this out. I have tried pretty much everything you have and one lady suggested a selenium deficiency which I think could be the culprit! Our hay IS deficient in selenium and none of the feeds Beau has been getting have selenium in them but over the winter he did have it. I went out Monday and got some mineral with selenium and he now has it free choice - he is gobbling it up literally. I will let you know if it works - maybe it would help your guy as well! I talked to the guys at Cayuga Feed again and they are baffled as well - we have been in touch with their suppliers several times but of course they aren't really well versed in mini feeding. They are eagerly awaiting my results!

458020[/snapback]

To the lady below who seems bound and determined that she is the only one that could possibly be correct and seems to have blocked me from replying to her "blunt" and rude comments: I think that if you reread the posts you will find that I HAVE agreed with you and that my first step was to increase his feed and fat content of it and tried the opposite direction when it did NOT help. I have exhausted all other options and have given this a great deal of effort and the selenium deficiency seems the most logical possibility at this point - MY feed dealers agree! I also stated that I will gradually increase his grain as I myself would like to see him on more concentrates but he WILL continue to get his hay which ALL horses, minis and large, NEED! If you could see the condition of my other driving horses I don't think you would have made this rather nasty "last" post!

I don't know what would help your guy, and it sounds like you are trying, even if it is not going anywhere....have you had your vet out? Sometimes it is not the feed, it is the horse--a health issue that is not easily visible but is affecting the horse.

And, BTW, Lyn, you know I respect your opinions a lot....however, horses can and do exist very nicely on an all or mostly hay diet. Obviously your feeding program works for you...but my horses get alfalfa hay(would rather have them on a grass/alfalfa mix, but that is a little expensive) and a cup of performance feed(if they are working), and are in good weight and good stamina. The ones that are working have no potbellies(actually no one does, but the workers are lean and muscled) and are very fit. And these are minis. I also feel horses are grazing animals and should get hay/grass if possible.

Let us know if the selenium addition helps.

MiLo I have not blocked anyone. I dont even know how to do that. I also never said I was the only one that knows anything. Visit my site and see my horses and you will see that the way I feed IS successful. Sorry if it sounded harsh but there have been many who ask, dont take advice and keep posting on the same subject asking again, Gets very frustrating!

www.landkminiatures.com

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
lyn_j said:
MiLo I have not blocked anyone. I dont even know how to do that. I also never said I was the only one that knows anything. Visit my site and see my horses and you will see that the way I feed IS successful. Sorry if it sounded harsh but there have been many who ask, dont take advice and keep posting on the same subject asking again, Gets very frustrating!
www.landkminiatures.com

Lyn

458082[/snapback]

MiLo Minis said:
lyn_j said:
www.landkminiatures.com

Lyn

458082[/snapback]

458101[/snapback]

Sorry but when it just kept telling me I didn't have the authority to reply and yet could reply to everyone else I assumed (you know what that does!) that you had blocked me somehow. Anyway I am perfectly willing to take advice and I do intend to only ask once! I do appreciate your point of view but it has not worked in this situation and I do also have my own point of view. Once again, thank you for your input.

havent read all of the replies yet but wanted to clear up something I said about whole oats.

I do feed whole oats to my horses they get alfalfa hay, whole oats and beet pulp along with a ration balancer.

My horses do get hay they get 3-5 lbs of hay a day depending on the horse.

I would see if you can PM Robin C she is sort of our resident nutrion expert and can spit out facts and numbers so fast it makes your head spin but I do know i talked to her about what I wanted change wise- what feeds were available to me and she helped me come up with my program which works great for me and my horses

[SIZE=14pt]Sometimes when your computer somehow signs you offthe forum you have to sign back in to post a reply. I was just suggesting that you didnt give the increasing grain a long enough time to see if it worked or not. If he has something metabolic going on with his absorption or something it will obviously take longer . I would also reduce his work load UNTIL he gains wt again. The stallion I had with a similar problem came from a very big farm into my small farm environment and in the following spring was looking like you describe. The advice I was giving you we used with him and it took him all spring and summer to improve.[/SIZE]

Lyn

MiniHGal said:
I don't know what would help your guy, and it sounds like you are trying, even if it is not going anywhere....have you had your vet out?  Sometimes it is not the feed, it is the horse--a health issue that is not easily visible but is affecting the horse.
And, BTW, Lyn, you know I respect your opinions a lot....however, horses can and do exist very nicely on an all or mostly hay diet.  Obviously your feeding program works for you...but my horses get alfalfa hay(would rather have them on a grass/alfalfa mix, but that is a little expensive) and a cup of performance feed(if they are working), and are in good weight and good stamina.  The ones that are working have no potbellies(actually no one does, but the workers are lean and muscled) and are very fit.  And these are minis.  I also feel horses are grazing animals and should get hay/grass if possible.

Let us know if the selenium addition helps.

458078[/snapback]

The vet was out today and is slightly puzzled as well. Feels that the selenium IS a good thought and wants to know the results. He knows me well enough to know my horses are wormed regularly which would have been his first guess. Will be back if the free choice mineral doesn't improve things!

Thank you for your support re: no hay for minis! I too have lots of minis that do very well on a largely hay diet just like horses are supposed to have.

I really believe there are lots of different ways that keep our minis in good health and each of us tends to find the one that works for us.

I know that many beautiful show horses are fed lots of protein and concentrates and look great! :)

I do not show much at all, and do not keep my horses in show shape, but they are in good flesh and healthy. And I know that for me, I am fortunate to have some of the very best grass hay around, with protein levels not as high as alfalfa but higher than most grass hay. It is largely timothy and grown at our altitude of 7500 feet and it is by far the main thing my horses eat.

I know they like to be munching or grazing probably somewhere between 50% to 80% of the time. I do think that is one trait that is universal to ALL horses.

I also feed Super Horse Manna Senior feed since it is easily digestible and they each get around a cup of that a day with Horse Guard added since I found out our good hay, is low in selenium.

In the winter here they pretty much get hay free choice as I know it wll keep them warm and not run the risk of colic or founder like feeding richer feeds.... free choice.

But our winters can be fierce, and my horses live outside with run in shelters and tend to be very healthy and hardy. :)

Also my little 24 year old stallion gets himself very thin in the breeding season, and more so now that he is getting older. I kept increasing his senior feed last year until he was getting around 7 cups morning and 7 at night with about a half cup of BOSS daily also, and he put his weight on his topline nicely with that much, and was in great shape for the winter.

At any rate, I do hope you find what works for your little guy (and if selenium helps!) and do agree that many minis can do well on mostly or all good quality hay, since most of mine do. :)

But I know some need other things as well and am in no way condemning those who feed different ways and whatever works for their minis. :)

Susan O.

I have a mare that dropped weight last fall after foaling. I tried uping her grain and it didn't seem to help much. She got nice grass this spring/early summer and didn't have much improvement from that. Now I have some good alfalfa that I am feeding along with grass hay about 1:2. She seems to be filling in finally! I think her problem may have been protein.

crponies said:
I have a mare that dropped weight last fall after foaling. I tried uping her grain and it didn't seem to help much. She got nice grass this spring/early summer and didn't have much improvement from that. Now I have some good alfalfa that I am feeding along with grass hay about 1:2. She seems to be filling in finally! I think her problem may have been protein.
458156[/snapback]

I've been wondering about that as well cause it had occurred to me. If the free choice minerals don't do the trick I am going to give that a shot. Increasing his grain will also increase his protein intake some so it may be a double shot!! I feed my lactating mares foal food with high protein levels along with their hay until they regain their shape even sometimes after weaning if necessary. I start them on it in the last trimester and keep them on it as long as necessary. Usually only the really good milkers (moms) need it for long. Mares going into birth with good weight that don't feed their babies heavily quite often don't need it for long at all.

You've already gotten lots of good advice....so I won't add anything.

I DO believe everyone has the choice to do what works for them...but in this case, there is NO right or wrong way. There are many different feeding programs that will keep Minis in superb shape. I happen to be one of those who believes that ALL horses (big or small) NEED roughage & grazing time to be healthy not only in body, but in "mind" as well. Horses are grazing animals...you take that away from them & it "can" lead to bad habits.
sad.gif

My minis (who are fed individually) get anywhere from 1 to 6 cups of Purina Complete pellets daily, as well as hay & a few hours of grazing time each day. They are in good flesh with no "bellies"...even tho they are not 'worked'. So...you CAN achieve this with feeding programs that allow hay & grazing, as well as those that don't. I, personally, just don't like depriving my horses of doing what comes natural to them...grazing & eating roughage. I like to allow them to be horses...I think they are happier that way.
yes.gif

But as I said before....I would never insist that my way is the only way. Each person has to do what they feel works best for their horses.
yes.gif

Dona said:
You've already gotten lots of good advice....so I won't add anything.
I DO believe everyone has the choice to do what works for them...but in this case, there is NO right or wrong way.  There are many different feeding programs that will keep Minis in superb shape.  I happen to be one of those who believes that ALL horses (big or small) NEED roughage & grazing time to be healthy not only in body, but in "mind" as well.  Horses are grazing animals...you take that away from them & it "can" lead to bad habits.
sad.gif

My minis (who are fed individually) get anywhere from 1  to  6 cups of Purina Complete pellets daily, as well as hay & a few hours of grazing time each day.  They are in good flesh with no "bellies"...even tho they are not 'worked'.  So...you CAN  achieve this with feeding programs that allow hay & grazing, as well as those that don't.  I, personally, just don't like depriving my horses of doing what comes natural to them...grazing & eating roughage.  I like to allow them to be horses...I think they are happier that way. 
yes.gif

But as I said before....I would never insist that my way is the only way.  Each person has to do what they feel works best for their horses. 
yes.gif

458242[/snapback]

Well I am glad to see that I am not alone in thinking that miniature horses still have the right to be horses! Even my "show" horses get plenty of daily turnout time and grass to eat. Judging by the number of ribbons we have on our walls it hasn't hurt them any! My horses seem quite happy with their lives and I would not want to have it any other way. I won't compromise their health and vitality for the sake of a few more ribbons. With the incidences of colic on the rise as one of the other forum people mentioned to me I think a few more people should think about how a horse feeds naturally.

You spoke of a selenium problem. Did you know that you can get a selenium block (salt block) We have a selenium problem ( big time ) and I seen one at my friends, you now see the blocks here. It may be something of interest to you. Good luck with your horse, I know what it is like trying to get a horse looking the way they should, and struggling trying to get there. May God bless your efforts.

SILVER said:
You spoke of a selenium problem. Did you know that you can get a selenium block (salt block) We have a selenium problem ( big time ) and I seen one at my friends, you now see the blocks here. It may be something of interest to you. Good luck with your horse, I know what it is like trying to get a horse looking the way they should, and struggling trying to get there. May God bless your efforts.
458347[/snapback]

Just a note on the salt blocks...I replied earlier about our mare that had the pot- bellied appearance and that we put her on the trace minerals with selenium in "loose" form and that seemed to do the trick for her. We actually had the salt blocks available for all our horses and this particular mare was known for constantly eating on that block but it wasn't until we gave her these minerals in "loose" form that she was able to get the amount she needed to help with her deficiency. We still have the blocks available for all our horses and that is enough for most of them however, we have noticed this particular mare goes through her "loose" minerals very quickly in relation to the others.
smile.gif

CAM said:
SILVER said:
458347[/snapback]

Just a note on the salt blocks...I replied earlier about our mare that had the pot- bellied appearance and that we put her on the trace minerals with selenium in "loose" form and that seemed to do the trick for her. We actually had the salt blocks available for all our horses and this particular mare was known for constantly eating on that block but it wasn't until we gave her these minerals in "loose" form that she was able to get the amount she needed to help with her deficiency. We still have the blocks available for all our horses and that is enough for most of them however, we have noticed this particular mare goes through her "loose" minerals very quickly in relation to the others.
smile.gif

458420[/snapback]

I did get loose mineral and he has been literally gobbling it up so I really think there is a good chance that this is the solution! He obviously needs it and so even if it doesn't help with the potty belly I am glad they now have it! I put bowls of it out in every shed and all of them have been indulging but not to the extent that Beau is. Fingers crossed for rapid improvement!!!!! Thank you for your blessing.

I do use loose, free choice minerals as well, but do like the idea of having the block out there as well. I don't think the block by itself would be enough. I thought I had read earlier that you used loose minerals and had hoped that the block would be another idea for you to put into the picture. Hope all goes well with your horse and the problems you are facing with him.

I hope Im not repeating as I didnt read all the posts cut back on his excercise to every other day.

Here is a little something I learned in a Purina Horse Owners Workshop this summer... a big horse, on pasture, needs approx. 16,000 calories a day..a big working horse needs 30,000-36,000 per day!! I had no idea it was that many!! Now, divide that by 4, and that should give an idea of what a mini needs. Also, like has already been said, minerials are the keys to protein need...calcium,phospherous,copper..and add biotin. And, it also depends on the age, work level, Metabolism,hay/pasture quality.

Carbo energy=fuel horse energy=calories. It was an evening well spent
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back