~*NEED HELP AND ADVICE URGENTLY*~ UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, trap them. And there was a reason why I said to film them and try to take pics with time/date stamps on. So if they do get the dogs back, and you re-trap them, you'll have proof that they are not just doing it once but keep doing it. Because cops are some times like the 2nd one that came! No help!

It is a sticky situation and I feel bad for all the stress you and your horses (and cats!) are going through!

I just looked up the 'dog' laws in Missouri. The second officer doesn't know what he's talking about. You have the right to kill the dogs if they are killing OR chasing livestock. Here is a quote from the law:

"Dogs may be killed, when.

273.030. If any person shall discover any dog or dogs in the act of killing, wounding or chasing sheep in any portion of this state, or shall discover any dog or dogs under such circumstances as to satisfactorily show that such dog or dogs has or have been recently engaged in killing or chasing sheep or other domestic animal or animals, such person is authorized to immediately pursue and kill such dog or dogs; provided, however, that such dog or dogs shall not be killed in any enclosure belonging to or being in lawful possession of the owner of such dog or dogs.

(RSMo 1939 § 14536) "

Here is the link to the website where I found the information:

Missouri Dog Laws

From the way I read the law, you have the right to pursue the animals (off of your property if necessary) in order to kill them. The only place you can't kill them is if they make it back home, or if they are actually in the possession of the owners (even if they are not on the owner's property).

I don't like the idea of killing anything, but I would rather humanely kill dogs that were chasing my horses than wait and have the dogs injure and horribly kill my horses. There is nothing humane about the way that loose dogs kill or injure livestock.

Well have some good news. Both today and yesterday the dogs have not gotten loose (Or atleast in with the horses that I have seen) The horses themselves seem so much more relaxed, and are actually back to laying down some during the day. Something I have not seen them do in awhile. I am turning the 2 geldings in with the babies just in case. I know they are a good force to have out there.

The dogs, while in there pen (They are in a large pen that shares a fence line with the horses. They have wire mesh fencing, the kind that comes in rolls. And Its only 2-3in off my horses fence) Everytime they see me or the 2 geldings, they snarl and bark and go crazy. But are fine when they see the babies (I think they know who they can/can't mess with) So keeping my fingers crossed that the second trip from the officers finally put some sense into their heads.

My mare Belle is still limping slightly on her right rear leg, I am thinking she kicked at them threw the fence trying to help the babies the other day and hurt herself as she has been limping since then. I don't think they got ahold of her as I can't find/see any wounds. But I know when I try and touch that leg she pulls away and DOES NOT want me near it. And she was never like that before.

Oh well, there is no way to prove the dogs did it. So just have to let it go.

I'll keep you posted
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Christina, Glad you are having a break.........But please don't let down your guard. Keep your camera handy and be ready to document. I have a feeling that your neighbor will allow the dogs to run again when you think things are okay.

Still think trapping them and RE-trapping, if necessary is one way to go...........since I know you don't want to SSS. (I don't blame you about that. I'd be hesitant too, but it would be understandable.)

I must be meaner than most on this thread - I'd trap them and shoot them. Bury 'em quick. Nope - never seed your dogs.

Why waste gas and time taking them to the shelter when they will just come back?? I'd bet that many poster's opinions on this thread would change (from taking to shelter) if one of your horses gets killed.

I guess I am mean too then Ruffian, cause I would probably do the same. Even if he doesnt get them back, what if someone else adopts them that owns livestock and it kills theirs?

Just because there are no marks does not mean they didnt get hold of your horse that is limping. Or it may have been injured in the chase. The dogs intentions by even growling and snapping through the fence show what is on their mind.
default_wacko.png

Agreed- do not let your guard down. Either he will ease up, thinking enough time passed, or the dogs will just get smarter and figure out another way to get out- which they usually do if they are determined and dont like being locked in.

Wishing you the best! What a headache!

Latest posts

Back