~*NEED HELP AND ADVICE URGENTLY*~ UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_gaah.gif
We have some new neighbors and the first thing they did was turn their two dogs loose cause they live in the country and it's o.k.
default_no.gif
(remember no bad dogs just idiot owners) so the first thing the dogs did was run the minis around & around barking & having a good ole time...even getting kicked in the head was fun
default_wacko.png
course this doesn't set well with me cause I have ZERO tolerance for people that have no control of their animals
default_nono.gif
Hubby had a talk with them
default_new_argue.gif
course the guy laughs it off and say's to hubby "AH-if they get to be a problem, just shoot them" :DOH! Hubby says "Well...I probably won't but my wife will,
default_hypocrite.gif
so I'll tell her it's o.k." Course the neighbor looks shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
cause he was kidding and hubby wasn't. So nx time dogs come in the yard and deposit their "GIFT" right at my front door
default_gaah.gif
I get "BERTHA" out and load her up and shoot
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
- in the air of course...This goes on for about a week and I think the guy got the point about the crazy lady nx door cause he put a fence up for his dogs and have not had a problem in almost two months.
default_rolleyes.gif
I won't say what the sheriff suggested I do but will say it came very very close to happening. I cannot tolerate irresponsible pet owners
default_frusty.gif
but felt I needed to give his pups a chance (it's not their fault they have an idiot for an owner) but sad to think the alternative for them if he had not put the fence up
default_no.gif

I don't think you should kill the dogs they don't know any better it is there owners fault!! what about taking them to the animal shelter maybe they can find a good home. Is your yard fenced if so maybe you should try hot wire on the bottom of the fence if they dig under. Hope this helps.

I would not say you don't have coyotes. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there. We live in a rather well developed area and when we were walking the minis in the hills about 1/4 mile from my house we did see a coyote. One day on my way to work a coyote came out of a subdivsion and crossed a very busy road and went into the wharehouse district. Even if there isn't a wooded or wild area they are around. But, on the subject of the dogs, I would turn them into animal controle. We have a neighbor that from time to time they get a pitbull or something of that nature and it runs the streets and they even chase the kids off the street. The problem is they lose one dog and get another. I bet your neighbors will just do the same.

Get the county , sheriff and dog catcher and see if they can fine these people since you have some photos. Call your local news station and see if they can do a report on dogs tresspassing on other peoples property.Being a responsble dog owner. Call your local paper and have them do a story about it. If you township has meetings go there and complain.Talk to the neighbors again and tell them they have to keep there dogs on there property or other legal steps will be taken.and follow through with that.I beleive that people who have dogs should be responsible dog owners and do what is necessary so there dogs dont bother others. We have dogs but have trouble with one neighbors dogs. Hope that these can be resolved. We put fencing almost around all of our property and do have donkeys.

Some people are soooo stupid. I bought 25 acres that connects to my daughters farm (was a TB breeding farm) so our barns are are on two different roads. The people that boarders us were sooo stupid. I caught the man shooting his hand gun from the back of his property on to mine. I went nuts when i heard the barns getting pinged. We had a LOUD talk. He told me that he looked to see if we had a horse in that pasture. He could have hurt one so easy as it could have been in the run in when he looked. Then one day I was walking to the other barns and he was outside shooting at geese (in the direction that i was walking) I was on my cell to the DNR so fast. They were at his house in no time as i told them i had trouble with him before with his guns. He doesn't have enought land to shoot any kind of gun. No more trouble with him as he knows one more call from me and he is in a lot of trouble. Could you call the DNR and get some help from them? They were great to me.

In Ontario, Canada you can shoot stray dogs that are on your property.............. No questions asked.

When I was small I had a pony, as did all my siblings, and the ponies were pastured on our 100 acre farm.

We bordered a small town and one night my horse was killed by a pack of dogs which ran her until she dropped.

'That's what dogs do in a group, things that they would never do on their own.

The dogs take turns keeping the horse running till they can finish them off.

However once they do start the practice and they get the taste of blood they are always a problem.

The dogs will have to be tied forever, or have to be put down.

I would not have a problem shooting a "pack dog" as it has become a whole different animal once they start these activities.

Just a suggestion, but I would contact the county for advice before doing anything. In some counties there are laws about shooting animals and you don't want to be the one held responsible in that case. It is a sad deal where we have to watch out for the neighbors animals. We had your problem a few years ago and the dogs belonged to not only a neighbor, but she was also our veterinarian. A wonderful person it seemed, and oh so friendly when we took our dogs to her, but when it came to keeping her five big dogs home it was a problem. I called numerous times and nicely asked her husband to call the dogs home. He would hang up on me, but did call the dogs home. The pack continued to run on our property so I finally called the county and they came out to talk to her. It happened again so I called her clinic and said that I would call the county again. She later called our home and said that I was neurotic and we were bad neighbors because good neighbors let others animals run on their property with no problems. Keep in mind that this is a veterinarian that said all of this. She told us to never come to her clinic in the future and although years have passed she still refuses to wave or even look our way. How sad is that?

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Janet

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with most everyone, call the sheriff/police and animal control. Keep calling them. Tell them until something is done you will be calling them everytime those dogs step foot in your yard. Eventually they will most likely get sick of you calling all of the time and they will do something about it. As well get the gun out. You don't need to shoot them but you could use something with alot of bang. If someone is sitting on their porch, then I think a gun going off will make them think twice about letting those dogs out unattended again. Have your town/state rules all set and ready to go. In most states its legal to shoot an animal in protecting your livestock.

~*UPDATE*~

Well got up this morning and just had a real nervous feeling, like something bad was going to happen. So I quickly hooked the camera up from the small tv to the large tv in the livingroom. I just knew soemthing was going to happen. And no more then 5 min later, here come Red (My friends gelding) and My gelding Krackerjack, and they were herding the babies (Pyro, Diva, Queenie and Pinky) into the farthest bottom corner of the pen (off camera) and they went back to the top of the pen (Also off camera) And all the sudden here comes red and Krackerjack running, being chased by the german shepard, and the 2 puppies that always get out. And they ran them toward the babies, but Red was smart and quickly turned back. They chased him back towards the rear of the pen, and Krackerjack and Queenie quickly ran behind red and chased the dogs out. Thank god I put the 2 geldings with the babies. Well I got this all on camera, and plain as day you can tell that is was there dogs. I was filming as my friend was running out the door to shoo them off, but the horses beat us to it. Gotcha!

Well called the county right after, and no more then 15min later the sheriff pulled up. Talked to us and we showed him the video, and the best part was the dogs where still loose when he showed up so he got to see them, he also saw the dogs get right back in their pen. Well he asked us if we wanted to press charges, and we said no. I just want them to get a stern warning from an officer. Well he went over and of course it took sometime for anyone to come to the door. He talked to them and came back over.

He said they know that they are being bad, and they said the puppies are the main problem. And that the german shepard just follows the puppies whereever they go. So they are going to get rid of the puppies, (take them to the humane society, but I really doubt that, i think they will just kill them or drop them off somewhere) They also said that there are other dogs, not just theres, getting in with the horses. That may be I don't know, but the only one i have ever seem personaly are there dogs.

And the sheriff also said keep all our videos and evidence, and the next time we get them on video chasing the horses. The county will step in and take/destroy ALL the dogs. I am still keeping the camera on my horses 24/7 and sleeping in the livingroom so I can watch them.

Well heck, Was finishing typing this and the german shepard just chased the horses on camera again, but the people quickly called him back so I did not get it on film. ugghh. I am calling them myself right now and telling them if I catch any of there dogs over here again, that they are gone. I am sick of being terrified for my horses. I hate to see the way they are acting, they are all jumpy and on edge, and run when the leaves blow.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Will keep everyone posted
default_unsure.png
default_unsure.png

Also the officer did say we have the right to protect our livestock and shoot the dogs on site, he himself has animals and can understand. I hate the fact I was nice to them and did not press charges. The people know full well what the dogs are doing, and are more then willing to let my horses get hurt.

I found one spot in the fence they are getting in, so will patch that today. Altho they are also coming up the driveway and there is no way to fence my property in, as these neighbors are so close to leave we have to back out of our drive and into there to turn and leave, and they do the same with ours. And also going to look into getting a donkey/llama. Altho I think Krackerjack is just as good if not better. He HATES dogs and has run dogs out and into fences before. Including this same german shepard. But a donkey would be quite the noisemaker and make the neighbors angry, but hey they made me do it.

So glad you got it on tape, and now the sheriff has the complaint recorded.

Just hope they decide to get rid of all dogs, if they loved their dogs they would keep them in their area, not let them run free to get hurt and hurt others..

I think you have done what is right, and do not beat yourself up for not laying charges,

I would have given them a chance to make it right also.
default_wub.png
Good Luck

Wow!!! Talk about perfect timing!!!! Yes, keep that tape, and I would also keep a notepad of dates, times, when you called the officer (sounds like he was really good about trying to help) and what is going on. It is not just the pups if the Sheperd came right back over.... he now has a taste for it too, and will continue if he can. Even one dog can take down a horse... I had to 'get rid of' a dog that attacked the owners full sized foal, then turned on the neighbor that tried to get it away from it. The foal survived but had weeks of doctoring huge gashes in her neck... dogs will rip them all over and it is a horrible thing to see. I have seen a few dog attacks in my life and dont care if I ever see another. And yes, like 'Silence of the Lambs' I still hear the neighbors goats screaming and screaming while 3 dogs killed all the young ones and then started in on the adults- they had two left out of about 10, and one of those was so badly maimed she didnt make it. The people were home and didnt even pay any attention to all the noise going on at their own place... and yes, those dogs turned on ME and I am lucky (was only thinking of saving the remaining ones) I didnt end up in a really bad way!! Two of these were their OWN dogs who had been raised with the goats!!

You did the right thing, and I would say if ANY of the dogs come over again, to call and press charges this time. They will at least get fined or something, or the dogs taken away and prevent a horrible tragedy to your, or someone else's livestock and pets.

We had several new houses go in in our area about 2 years ago, and same thing- some folks down the street just thought it was ok to let their dogs out to run the neighborhood. The coyotes here are BAD and have taken out even good sized dogs. Also it was really hot out and this dog was wandering with it's tongue hanging out- so I caught it and got the number from it's tag. The lady told me when I called 'Oh she'll find her way home eventually'!!!! I told her I would be worried about coyotes or a car hitting it, or a heat stroke. Didnt see the dog out again after that, but I am not sure if they kept it home or if something happened to it. Yep, I agree- it's the owners that are complete idiots.

Well I though the problem was solved, I though wrong. The dogs at 3:20 this afternoon were back, the puppies and german shepards. Not only chasing the horses, but they got into our barn and where tearing up bags of feed. So right away got them on tape again, and called the county, again.

A different officer came out, I told him I wanted to press charges. (as soon as the officer pulled into out drive, they quickly locked the puppies up and snuck the german shepard into the house) So he went over to talk to the people. Came back with a whole new story. The now sweet old man (he is never home, but was there today) told the officer he is trying to keep them locked up but they keep getting out, and he now says that one of the black puppies is not even his, its a stray he found several months ago (Well that makes it his now, doesn't it??
default_wacko.png
) Anyway, he said that he is trying, and that if they get out again to call him personally and he will get the dogs and lock them up himself. ugg. All the officer said is "Well he is a nice old man, and he sounds like he is really trying". WHAT!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

Where the cops not out here this morning when he said the same thing! He basically made me feel like i'm the bad guy who just wants their dogs gone because i'm an evil horse owner
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
Also this officer also said since according to him I live out in the country (My town is not big enough to be called a town I guess) that there is no law against having your dogs out loose. And that I would be the one to get in trouble if I shoot the dogs. And I am only allowed to shoot the dogs if they hurt/kill a horse. And I have to prove that there dog was the one who hurt the horse. WHAT!!! I have never heard such b.s. in my life.

I am crushed. I thought after talking to the first officer that they would come and get the dogs and they would go to court and it would be done! I guess not, oh and after all that. He did not press charges, just filed a complaint. And it ....may.... go to court. And he really did not care to see all the videos I have, or care that they chase them all the time and is tearing up feed (which ain't cheap!)

I am going to call the county everyday and bug them and bug them until something more serious is done. And I was looking for a guard donkey, but a friend was kind enough that they found me a mature male guard llama, all I have to do is pick him up. Can't get him till Saturday tho. So I guess I am on guard duty for the week. More days of restless nights here I come!

And there are no holes in the fencing. We have cattles panels around the whole property, and these puppies even tho they are big dogs, are so skinny they can fit threw the holes. So there is literally nothing I can do.

Should I go get atleast a bb gun and shoot them that way as some type of deterent? My poor outside cats can't eat anywhere, everywhere I put their food the dogs are finding it. I thought the barn was safe, I guess I will have to move them into the garage and hope the dogs can't get in there.

As much as I hate to say it, and I Really Do hate to say it, I think you need to invest in some poison and put it out. I once had a pet die of poisoning in my arms and always thought it was a horrible thing but with your circumstances you really need to do something. Since you can't shoot them I'd try something quieter, less conspicuous and it would be really difficult to prove that you were responsible. Of course you'd have to keep your outside animals up where they couldn't get to it.

Another idea, depending on how big an area would have to be done, is to put a row of 2" welded wire up along your cattle panels. I did that around my yard to keep my dogs from slipping through the fence.

Whatever you do I definitely wish you luck!

ETA If you have to call the authorities again I'd be sure and ask for the first officer who came out. Hopefully you remember his name and can ask for him specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be furious. Is there any way you can contact the original cop who came the first time?

YES, bb gun at the least. And don't feel guilty about it, they have been warned. I have zero tolerance for idiots.
default_wacko.png

Hi I had the same problem you do... I took Chain link fence and used it behind my panel fence then ran HOT WIRE on the Outside !!

no Dogs ever got through it and after a year I still see the dogs run the fence and still they have not gotten in.....I have in the past caught roaming neighbor dogs and taken them to the Humane Society but onlu after telling the owners that I would , they of course do not care and when thier new puppy gets hit by a car its no more than a day and they have a new puppy.

My Stallion Excalibur will and still does chase any dog that chooses to run HIS fence line but allows our dog to be in His pasture and even his stall...I keep my dog in a 15 X 15 kennel with a close top for the fact that she does not like other Dogs and has in the past attacked and badly wounded a neighbor hood Dobe mix.....She is only allowed out when I am outside feeding the horses or doing yard work for she is a fence climber.

I would try putting Hot Wire on the out side of the fence and see if that works....Also is there and way you could make a temperary "gate" using a lenghth of Chain link and two poles? Attach one side to the pole then pull it tight across the drive and use double ened snaps to scure it around the other pole and snaped back to its self? I have done this across my front drive where I have no fence and can turn my horses out to "mow" the front yard. It might be a pain but if you have enough room to do this and still sfely get in and out of your drive it might stop the dogs from getting in.

Jenn

Be sure to contact the Animal Control officer who may be off duty for the weekend. Do you have ASPCA or county animal countrol? There needs to be someone who understands dog behavior and neglect. This will likely lead to escalating bad behavior for the adult dogs and puppies. Anyone officer who cares about the dogs would get them out of that situation immediately for their own good. Three possible scenerios otherwise: puppies trampled by horses, dead farm animals, or shot dogs. There aren't many alternatives in my opinion. The if the owner won't take care of them - someone else needs to.

Latest posts

Back