~*NEED HELP AND ADVICE URGENTLY*~ UPDATE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with our neighbor for sometime. They have a german shepard, lab, pitbull (all adult dogs) and 3 lab/german shepard mixed older puppies that continue to get loose and chase our cats/horses on almost a daily basis. We have warned the people numerous times, and all they can say is they are trying. But most times when the dogs are in our yard chasing our cats or horses they are right outside and ignore the dogs until they see me coming outside or yelling at the dogs. I have told the mayor of my town who has also warned them numerous times with the same results.

These dogs are very skinny, and are more then likely not fed more then a few times week. They have been a nusience in the neighborhood for some times getting into everyone trash, and even caused one of my next door neighbors to move. It has gotten to where as soon as I start up my vehical they come running into the yard. And today I was gone all day, and came back to skinny horses, dog tracks in the pens. And 2 are even now limping (I am not sure if dogs acutally got them, or if they slipped in the mud as it was raining/nasty today) We have set up a camera and have multi videos of the dogs day and night coming into the yard and chasing the cats and getting into the trash. But whenever they got in with the horses I never have my camera with me, and I usually just take off running after the dogs.

I am not sure what else I can do, My uncle suggested getting a bb gun or paintball gun and shooting the dogs. Or to call the county and see what they will do. I am just afraid the neighbors will retaliate against us by doing something to the horses, since our main horse pen shares a fence with their yard. They have told me themselves that they have come onto to my property in the middle of the night to stop "coyotes" from chasing the horses. But there are no coyotes in the area, I have talked to my uncle and he is a hunter. And they even saw me out there tonight, and all they can say is they are trying but they are digging out. All I have to say is just chain the dang things up or get rid of them. They have killed cats in the past. Which is why I am really worried they are not far off from killing a horse or running it into a fence. And I have tiny weanlings (25"-27") And the puppies are bigger then them, much less the older dogs.

Is there anytime of guard animal I can get to help out? I have heard of donkeys, llamas, and Livestock Guardian dogs. I am hesitant to get a dog as I do not want to get it and have it just become friends with the neighbors dogs (which is why we had to get rid of our puppys, the neighbors dogs continued to get with them and make them chase/bite the horses. And no matter how hard I tried the puppies continued the bad habits
default_sad.png
)

Any and all suggestions of what to do are needed! I am at my witts end and If it weren't for money being so tight I would just move also
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Update on page 4

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to call the county and check the ordinances in your area about loose dogs, especially in relation to chasing livestock and getting on your property. If there is an ordinance like we have stating that NO dogs can run at large off a leash, then they are violating that ordinance and call the sheriff's department and have them issued a summons. We also have a law that protects livestock in that we are able to shoot anything on our property that is after livestock!

I personally have an ongoing issue with BARKING DOGS that hunt hogs that are tied to trees next door and he is tired of going to court so is is finally going to get rid of them! If they got loose, they would be chasing my horses also! That is what they are bred to do! Very long story, but you must call your local officials and find out the laws in your area before it's too late! Talk is cheap and they will continue to tell you they are trying to do something with them but until they get a summons to appear in court over it, you run the risk of those dogs doing what their instinct tells them to do and that is to act on their PREY DRIVE and CHASE things that run from them. They will eventually catch something besides a cat and you know where this is eventually going! It's not the dogs fault, it's the lack of responsibililty of the owners so you must take action against them and unfortunately the dogs are going to pay the price for their ignorance .... hopefully not your animals!

You do have a problem - there have been enough horror stories on here about dogs chasing and injuring or killing horses to know it's a serious issue. Do you have an animal control officer in your area? Find out what your county or city laws are regarding loose dogs. If there is a county leash law, they may be able to come pick the dogs up and impound them. It is legal here to shoot a dog if it is chasing your livestock.

Talking to neighbors about their dogs doesn't usually work unfortunately - you will probably have to take some action. Maybe a group of neighbors at once would be persuasive enough to convince these folks their dogs are a serious nuisance to everyone.

I'm having a problem with my neighbors dogs too - it hasn't come to threatening my horses - yet - mostly they are hungry and cleaning up our dog food, but I'm not crazy about feeding someone else's eight dogs. That's also more than enough to develop a pack mentality and go after anything that runs from them.

Good luck

Jan

Shoot to kill!

You have been more than nice, talked to the people who owned them, the Mayor and so on, done everything you can do. They will KILL your horses or mame them so badly you will have to put them down. You don't want them to suffer like that.

As for the law you have every right to protect your animals if they are being threatened or attacked. The Sheriff will tell you that. He will probably tell you to shoot the dogs and then bury them. They wont' do anything for you, only give you that advice.

I am sorry if this sounds harse, "been there, done that" more than once and so have many folks on this forum.

Beth

OK here is my suggestion (of course my firast thought was to do as mizbeth suggested and end the problem once and for all but that type of pet owner just replaces the problem with another one anyway) There is a thread on here about electric mesh fencing and if you could put that fencing up around your property (or even just one area) I would bet those dogs would look else where for their 'fun' Just a thought

I have thought more then once about shooting to kill these dogs. The problems is the neighbors have full few of our yard, and someone is sitting outside their house literally 24/7. I talked to a friend who said to trap them and haul them off, but again I am afriad the neighbors will see me doing that and just come and take the dogs back.

Yes there is a leash law in our county. And the mayor is suppost to enforce this but doesn't. The main problem is once they are loose as soon the dogs see anyone in the our yard they go running right back to their pen. I am definatly called the county tomorrow and seeing what can be done.

Another issue with shooting them is we are within city limits. And I do not want to get in trouble for protecting whats mine.

Obviously THEY are not going to do anything. So you have to.

More secure fencing on your property. A roll of Hog wire isn't that expensive. Hot wire.

You have to fence your horses in to protect them from outside dogs.

Before it's too late.

And you are right.....if you get a dog, those dogs will teach it to chase your horses. Then there will be 7 dogs chasing them.

You are far more tolerant than me.

Maybe if they sit out on their porch all the time and they see you come out and fire off a round even if it be in the air, they will realize you mean business. On the other hand maybe they dont care if you shoot their dogs. But either way you need to press charges!! We had the same problem and had a great outcome when they got a fine from the county. I understand your worry about retaliation, but at the same time, your horses are in danger from the dogs too so either way you could be in for heartache. I would take that chance and let them know your serious. If not, the fencing works too as do Llamas!!

I suppose you live within the city limits as you mentioned the Mayor. If you live outside the city limits then you need to call the Sheriff. Unfortunately, now that the neighbor knows that you are having this problem and is watching ... if you did do something to the dogs, they could act first and file a complaint against you and everything would just be a big mess! It happens! You must make a trail of complaints and paperwork, documentation, calls, etc... about the actions going on over there so that when something does happen and gets reported, the authorities will know in advance about the ongoing problem instead of the "he said, she said" situation that occurs. We have a very important saying that rings true in things like this .... "If it's not written down, it didn't happen"

Document, document, document! Take pics, make notes about the events daily, statements made, etc.... and keep it for future reference! It will pay off! If you ever have to show what has been going on and you pull out that info to show a judge/deputy, etc... trust me ... they'll know you're not playing around! I not only have recordings of dogs barking for hours, but pics and reports and written complaints from neighbors in a file.

Call your local law enforcement and have them write a report/complaint so it's on file!

I would start also by calling your county sheriff, local police or whatever and animal control. (Our animal control is through the sheriff's dept). Put your foot down and tell them you have HAD IT, and you are going to start shooting dogs if they do not DO something!! Having it on film helps also- you have proof right there what is going on. MAKE them take action, or tell them YOU will. Many times that seems to spur them into some sort of response.

Do the dogs bite? I wonder if you caught them and tied them to trees and called animal control to come and get them? That is ridiculous that those people are always out there, but they can't 'see' their dogs over there??

Yes, I see where this is headed and it's not good!!! They ARE going to take down one of your horses or two.... Yep, been there, done that in the past.... I use the SSS method, and that permanently has ended the problem, as much as I hate doing it.

Do what ever you have to do and do it right away is my advise. Loose dogs that are running in a pack can be so dangerous, they feed off of each other and even a pretty decent dog can turn into a nut case in a pack. You not only are saving your horses, but maybe a child as well. Very dangerous situation building in my opinion. Video, document record, call the law, county official, anybody that will help. Many counties have laws on dogs chasing deer and livestock. My heart goes out to you! I hope you find a solution real fast. Your neighbors sound ignorant. I once knew a woman whose foal was killed by a dog and her horse mamed so badly it had to be put down. I love dogs and horses, but I have little tolerance for dogs running at large, packing and chasing everything that moves. In the meantime, I would try to find a way to at least keep the stinkers out of your pasture if you can, it might cost some but would pay for itself if you can avoid an accident and big vet bill. Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

I would start also by calling your county sheriff, local police or whatever and animal control. (Our animal control is through the sheriff's dept). Put your foot down and tell them you have HAD IT, and you are going to start shooting dogs if they do not DO something!! Having it on film helps also- you have proof right there what is going on. MAKE them take action, or tell them YOU will. Many times that seems to spur them into some sort of response.
Do the dogs bite? I wonder if you caught them and tied them to trees and called animal control to come and get them? That is ridiculous that those people are always out there, but they can't 'see' their dogs over there??

Yes, I see where this is headed and it's not good!!! They ARE going to take down one of your horses or two.... Yep, been there, done that in the past.... I use the SSS method, and that permanently has ended the problem, as much as I hate doing it.

I am sure those dogs bite. I hardly ever see the people handling the puppies or others. The only dog I think is remotely friendly is the german shepard. And he by himself has never been a problem. Its when he is with other dogs. They have had the shepard for sometime, the problem started when they got the lab. Bred her to the shepard and pit this summer, and kept the puppies. I know they had close to 10 pups at one time. And they are now down to 3. I do not know if they are giving them away, or they are dying, etc. I know they offered us puppies after they were born and also friends we have had stop by. I guess I should have said yes and taken it to a shelter. Oh well, lesson learned.

I am going to be filing a complaint with the county in the morning

Well, at least they are nice enough to talk with you in a civil matter. Most don't
default_wacko.png

Not sure if this would work, but make up a letter stating if their dogs are on your property and kill or hurt any animals they would be responsible for vet bills, and replacement cost? Something along that line.

Date it and sign it, and ask them if they would read and sign it, this might save a lot of problems down the road.

This might just get them to thinking or they will try alittle harder.

Least you will know where you stand if something does happen to your horses?

Good Luck, hate people who have their dogs run loose. My daughter has been having the same problem with their neighbours dog, she reports them to the dog catcher, takes him forever to come.

Usually the next day, than sometimes does not answer his phone anymore.
default_no.gif

Just keeps pooping on her property and barking at her back door because she has a couple of dogs.

When they come out, she runs home. Cars have slammed on their brakes many times.

People just do not care, they think they have the right to let thier dogs run loose.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING NOW**** I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, THE DOGS FINALLY GOT ONE OF MY HORSES AND SEVERED HIS HAM STRING.NEEDLESS TO SAY WE HAD TO PUT HIM DOWN.BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS WE FOLLOWED THE DOGS AND FOUND THE OWNER BATHING THE DOGS. WE CALLED THE SHERIFF AND THEY GOT A WARRANT TO HAVE THE DOGS DESTROYED THAT DAY.AND THE OWNER ENDED UP DOING TIME BECAUSE HE KNEW THEY WERE DOING THINGS AND DID NOTHING.

Ok, so im so sorry for your losses but I would get somthing for those dumb dogs, i agree, fire a few shots off in the air. What ever you do do not get a gaurd Llama! I can not stress this enough (llama person here) if this is a pack of like 5 or 6 dogs, they will attack and most likely kill your llama it only puts the llama into more risk so please dont do this, one of our non gaurding llamas was killed by two alone, and the guy shot one dog dead on the spot, if they are really crossing the line with your horses by all means shoot them... its not worth the risk. my neighbor had three higlhy agressive pit bulls that attacked my dog and another one that stayed on its own property line, they just went after it and shredded her leg so she had to have her leg amputated, so shoot em if need be thats what id do best of luck

We have problems with our neaighbors dogs sometimes too. Last week the boxer was over barking his fool head off at the boys and finally got zapped on the electric fence. Our problems don't compare to yours yet.

In our county, animal control will not respond to any complaints of dogs running at large out of city limits. We can shoot to kill, but have been warned if we choose this route, we would need to drop the animal on our property to prove it was there. If we shoot and don't kill and the animal goes home, we are in trouble. All the Sheriff will do in this county is confront the owner which in our case, will do nothing. Basically, we would need to shoot to kill the dog attacking the horses to prove anything. Even video of the dogs barking/annoying the horses isn't good enough.

Our mini pasture is steel pipe with electric in between which we know now works on the neighbors boxer.
default_laugh.png

I'm sorry Christina. This is terrible!
default_no.gif

You do need to do something to ensure the safety of your horses, but because it is going to escalate. I know what you mean about being concerned with them retaliating; I have a similar situation here. But, you can't have them chasing your horses - limping is just the first thing that will happen.

I'm going to sound like a real jerk here, but you need to do away with those dogs. The life they're living isn't a good one anyway. But whether it's with a gun or with some poisoned bait, they have to go. This is just get worse if left unattended.

I'm so sorry you're going through this!!

Shoot to kill! You have been more than nice, talked to the people who owned them, the Mayor and so on, done everything you can do. They will KILL your horses or mame them so badly you will have to put them down. You don't want them to suffer like that.

As for the law you have every right to protect your animals if they are being threatened or attacked. The Sheriff will tell you that. He will probably tell you to shoot the dogs and then bury them. They wont' do anything for you, only give you that advice.

I am sorry if this sounds harse, "been there, done that" more than once and so have many folks on this forum.

Beth
In total agreement. If there were any dogs here threatening anything or anyone (people, horses, dogs, cats, property), Kev would have the gun out and they'd be history (he's done it once and would do it again). Especially if they're known for this.

Latest posts

Back