Need fencing ideas....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
We're expecting our first mini baby.....a donkey. Our place....the majority of our fencing...is set up for big horses. I have an area for the minis and goats, but I'm going to be keeping my donkey and her foal separate. Got a nice area for her, but it's fenced in 4 strands of Electrobraid fencing. I have a round pen I could set up, but considering we've had a large horse foal get underneath the panels, a mini foal would have no trouble I'm sure!

I'm looking for ideas on what I could do..... I considered just running an extra strand or two of Electrobraid closer to the ground and letting that be ok. Do any of you keep your mares and foals out in strands of wire, braid or tape, and have good luck with that? It would only be during the day. They'd be inside at night. I considered hog panels, but that would be quite an expense....

Has anyone been in the position like this to set up a temporary paddock for a mare and foal? Buying a roll of wire, like the 2x4" squares or something, would be a lot of work for something that's temporary....so I'd rather not do that....

Just looking for ideas! Thanks!

Angie

I've had foals in electric fencing with success. I would think the electric braid like you have would definitely work since it is more visible.

We've had real good luck with the plastic frncing for temporary fence. From Home Depot or Lowes. It works best when placed over another fence or gates for support, but have used it alone for short periods....just on light posts.

charlotte

p.s. And I've had babies go right through the tape electric fencing. By the time they get shocked, if they do, they already have their head through and just keep going.

This works for both temporary or permanent fencing........Using metal fence posts and attaching either goat or cattle panels. We are gradually installing the fence panels for all of our cross-fencing, we like them so much.

To keep coyotes at bay, we also have a strand of electric tape that runs the perimeter at about 6 inches off the ground.........We did this at our old place too. And in over 16 years this has successfully kept coyotes from crossing whatever pastures we have done that to. (Knock on wood.)

[SIZE=12pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]We put up a corral like a round pen, the tube kind and then put 1x6 boards around the bottm and tied them to it and the baby couldn't roll out. That kept our little mini filly in after 3 times rolling out. [/SIZE]

Here's a picture of of it, this isn't a mini but it kept him in to so I know it works.
Ritasson015.jpg

This works for both temporary or permanent fencing........Using metal fence posts and attaching either goat or cattle panels
I second that. We recently made a nice little dry lot pen at my grandparents. They have a nice large pasture with great fencing but there is too much grass for them to be out to long..and I currently only have two muzzles. We just used the matal T posts I think they are and some cattle/goat panels..we actually just used heavy duty zip ties..I think that's the name.. to attatch them to the posts. It's cheap..easy and you can easily take out the posts and move the pen.

I'm not sure what the goat panels are? But the cattle panels...you're talking abotu the 16' length panels, right? I think they're somewhere between $16-$20 a piece. But might be easy enough to move around too...I don't know how heavy they are....

Thanks!

Angie

(LOL....my hubby calls me the zip tie QUEEN! I can NEVER run out of them! I use them for everything! Ugh...the day I start using them for fencing...he'd kill me....LOL)

Angie

Latest posts

Back