Need extra hole in web halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonloubri

Reaction score
How do you neatly get an extra hole in a web halter? I tried a leather punch to no avail, tried an ice pick but couldn't get the hole hardly big enough to use the buckle. Is there a way to get a nice neat hole that won't ravel?

Get a metal object... parents used to hate when I used the Phillips screwdriver
default_wink.png
... a nail or the ice pick... heat it up and burn the hole easily right through.

Oh, and do this outdoors cuz it STINKS bad! Be sure to use the heated "thing" to melt sharp edges flat, because the melted nylon will make sharp edges as you burn it.

Hot metal goes through it like butter, and it won't unravel.

Andrea

Thanks for the replies. I did try ice pick heated but perhaps I didn't get it hot enough. Will try again.

I was just going to ask about using a soldering gun. I have one and thought about it and wondered if anyone has used theirs for this. Now i know, I will try that. Thanks.

We've used a soldering iron for years. It is the only thing we use it for, LOL.

I've used a nail. I heat it with a propane torch until it is red hot and it will go right through. I'm not sure about the solder gun, but I suppose it might do the job.

I have a drill for drilling holes in shoes for some horses I shoe with pads and used a small drill bit on the drill and easily drilled a hole in a halter I had that was a little too big. Took just a few seconds. You can also burn the hole after you drill it to prevent it from fraying.

~Jen~

I use a nail (hold with plyers!) and heat it red hot. Dont use screwdrivers or ice picks- I am sure the repeated heating isnt good for those after a while.

Latest posts

Back