Need advice on taming new minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's wonderful!!
Don't worry about being on a plateau. It's normal for things to level off for a while then move forwards again. Stick with what you're doing and they will get there, the more time you take the faster they will learn they can trust you.

I am making great progress! They both will easily take treats from my hand. They follow me around when I am in their pen and seem pretty comfortable with me. They have also taken treats from my kids (with a little hesitation)! I have been able to lightly touch their noses and under their chins while feeding them, but they back away if I do it too long or if I bring my hand near their neck or body. So how do I begin touching them and where should I try to touch them. When do I know it is the right time to try touching them? When I'm sitting down in their pen, they will come right up to me and rub their noses on my pants or coat searching for treats. They are right in front of me, but how do I begin getting my hands on them the right way?

You might start by gently, briefly touching them for just a second a little further back from the chin than where they are letting you now, just as they are taking the treat from your other hand so they start relating your touch to something good. It is important for them to begin to trust you so you can tend to their needs. Eventually you will want to be able to touch them everywhere, but that's going to take some time. I would touch and remove my hand as they take the treat and the next interaction later in the day or the next day move my touch back a little further until they are comfortable with that, progressing to the neck and withers as they allow. For now I would keep the touch brief.

We love our horses and so we desire to touch them! I saw this video (link below) a while back and I liked what this guy had to say about petting horses in general, so thought I'd share it.
Sounds like you are already very sensitive to your horses. They are very lucky to have ended up with you!!!

Last edited:
I always start with when they take the treat I use my thumb to touch their muzzle and build up till I can give it a rub with all my fingers right after they take it, kind of cup their muzzle. After that I move my hand up the side of their head a tiny bit at a time until I'm working my way along their neck etc. If you let them move away any time without pushing to touch them they will be more confident about it, just start again next time. Like Willow Flats said I then give a treat with one hand and use the other to touch as they will allow. You don't want to sneak at all but no sudden movements(as I'm sure you know). They will tell you by staying there when you can do more. Sounds like you're doing a great job 🙂

You sound as if you are getting on great! I agree with Taz and Willow Flats on the touch and treat system. The best advice I got was 'be clear with your asks and rewards so they associate to it better'. So, I would touch for a second or two, take my hand away and reward immediately with praise and a treat. Then do it again, and again, and again... All fairly close together and for a short period of time e.g. 10-15 min sessions.

You'll know when you're ready to move to another area when they show absolutely no signs of stress on the area you are working on e.g. no flinching, moving back, or ears back in defence. Sometimes they may even start to get a little curious/cheeky as they associate that action with a treat. Mine would begin to look for the treat and get a little cheeky demanding it lol. While great to see the confidence growing in them I knew that was my signal to stop giving them a treat for that action, I'd give verbal praise and a nice rub instead.

I was advised to just work on one area until they were completely happy before I moved to another but do what is comfortable for you and the horse. I worked on getting them used to me touching them around their head, then onto the feel of the lead rope, headcollar training, being able to put the headcollar on and off, spending time clicking the lead rope on and off etc. All until they were completely calm with each move. If they stressed too much on a new move I'd just go back to the last step we had mastered for a few times to rebuild their confidence and then try the new area again. I hope that makes sense! Baby steps and patience but it sounds as if you're off to a great start!

Thank you for the great information and telling me what has worked for you. I appreciate all the tips and will begin using these suggestions! They are getting much more confident and even follow me around some!

You might start by gently, briefly touching them for just a second a little further back from the chin than where they are letting you now, just as they are taking the treat from your other hand so they start relating your touch to something good. It is important for them to begin to trust you so you can tend to their needs. Eventually you will want to be able to touch them everywhere, but that's going to take some time. I would touch and remove my hand as they take the treat and the next interaction later in the day or the next day move my touch back a little further until they are comfortable with that, progressing to the neck and withers as they allow. For now I would keep the touch brief.

We love our horses and so we desire to touch them! I saw this video (link below) a while back and I liked what this guy had to say about petting horses in general, so thought I'd share it.
Sounds like you are already very sensitive to your horses. They are very lucky to have ended up with you!!!

Nice Video! I really liked it. I wish everyone could see it and take it to heart! I have one that always wants attention; one on her own terms (like a cat); Snickers who is pregnant who doesn't appreciate much touch at all; and now like the author of this thread, I have a "wild" one who is terrified but wants touch. If I am still she may or may not approach me and stand about 4 feet away. Every day it may be one step forward, two steps back. Or like tonight, she actually surprised me and came to me and asked to smell me so I put my hand out but not towards her, kind of to the side. We did this several times. I sweet talk to mine, but I think that's more for me than them! She's terrified of hands. After she smelled my hands tonight I offered her my face to smell and she did. Then I back up slowly a couple of steps and when she took two steps forward we did it again (and again!). Then I ask her permission to touch her (and yes, I actually ask her verbally..keeps me on target). I very very slowly and gently touch her muzzle or under her chin. We do this several times. One thing she does seem to enjoy is little kisses on her muzzle or nose. But be careful, not all horses like this (Snickers once offered her teeth!) and others seem to enjoy it almost like mutual grooming. Once I get past the head she is good. I have a heck of a time haltering her for the vet and farrier. She is scared of visitors still. She let me put one on her yesterday afternoon (after spending a whole afternoon cleaning their paddock, feeding, etc. An hour later I found the halter literally hanging from a tree branch! So, I am learning as well. So awi720 please don't feel alone in this area! A lot of it is very gentle persistence. Today I even got to "brush" her with my hands as she is shedding something terrible. But tomorrow I will probably have to start from the beginning again. So for now, I know I can use my hands but no tools. I think she is scared of being "caught" as once haltered I can literally touch her almost anywhere and she stands still.

Thank you all for all the supportive encouragement and advice! Things are going slow, but I am making great progress! I am able to touch one of my girls on her nose, under her chin and she will let me run my hand up her face between her eyes as long as I have treats ready! The other one comes right up and has let me touch her nose and under her chin but no where else yet. They follow me everywhere and are very curious about what I am doing. They often check out my coat pockets while I am cleaning their pen! I have made good progress from where I started, it is just very slow. Do I need to keep them confined in a smaller area still, or can I let them out into the rest of my pasture? It is about an acre. I thought I could let them out during the day while I am at work, then call them into their smaller pen when I feed them in the evening and close them in until morning. Would this be ok, or do they need to be kept in the smaller pen until I get them more trusting of me?

If you can bring them back in easily I'd say let them out. Part of what you want them to do is see you as the one who provides everything, food, water safety etc.

Oh wow ! I read your thread, and I've been going through the same thing ! It's almost the same scenario. My two newest additions (a mare and stallion) came from an older couple who knew nothing about horses, even less about stallions !

The mare was not too bad, as she is sweet by nature and the former owner's grandchildren would brush her and braid her mane... but the stallion... I was told he had not been groomed or had his hoofs cleaned out very often. And it was true ! Hoofs were horribly long... they must not have been trimmed for a year or two. I called my farrier in emergency. Thankfully, the hoof structure was ok for the stallion. The mare's is a bit deformed, although it's getting better with each trim she gets.
When I got them at my place, I thought it was all a big mistake... But now I realize it was not.

I've had them for nearly 10 months, and have worked lots of things with them since... Like everyone else was saying, it definitely takes lots of patience and baby steps.

There is one saying I just love: Act like you have 15 minutes, it will take a day. Act like you have a day, and it will only take you 15 minutes.

I've been using it all through the process and it works tremendously well ! Now, I can pick up Jumper's hoofs and he won't blink an eye. And I can put a blanket around him without seeing him flinch.

Keep at it, perseverance is the key. Just watch your horses, and learn from them. You can do this !

Just an update.....I did let them out in the bigger pasture today and pinned up my other minis so they could explore without any other distractions. They spent the whole day out there, but when feeding time came and they saw me, they came running back into their pen to eat! They gave me no trouble at all! I fell like we made 2 steps forward today!

I just have to share a couple things that came up today. First off, my neighbor had her farrier out today for her horses and she was telling him about my new minis hooves and how I was making such progress with them and working toward getting them tame enough to tend to their overgrown hooves. His response was that it was all unnecessary and that since they are small i should just have my farrier rope them and hold them down and get it over with. I couldn't believe his attitude toward the situation! My farrier told me i was doing the right thing and she suggested having the vet come out and give them a shot to relax them while she works on them. Wouldn't roping them completely destroy the trust with humans i have established so far? Now for the next item/ issue....after I feed i usually go around the pen and scoop up and my new girls are always close by in case a treat is offered. One of them has gotten pretty brave lately and has been coming up beside me while I'm scooping and nosing around my pockets. I was trying to finish up before giving any treats and then out of nowhere she bit my leg. I immediately popped her on the nose and said no. It happened so fast! I then finished up what I was doing and did not give any treats afterward. I hope I didn't do the wrong thing. I wanted to be sure she knew this was not ok and hopefully stop it!

I would definitely never use your neighbors farrier! keep up with what you're doing.

As far as the nosing pockets/begging thing. My advice is to not let it happen again. Teach them about your space. Unless invited in, establish a bubble around you.
My story is a cautionary tale! I let my 1st mini jelly Bean get away with begging for treats,(she was so cute!) now I can't stop it and sometimes she does bite. I also used to praise her for not being afraid of the broom when I swept. Now she thinks it's her job to get in my way whenever I clean up. It's hard to get anything done! I usually tie her up if I'm in a hurry or it takes forever.
Be careful what you let them get away with! Bopping her on the nose and yelling is ok in my book. Sometimes you have to react fast and the closest body part is your target.

I wouldn't rope and hold down any horse unless it was an emergency and the only thing that could be done. Giving them a tranq when you start doing their feet is a great idea, your vet can give them a shot or can give you powder to feed them.

Smacking them when they bite is a natural reaction we all have but I wouldn't do it if you can help it. It will probably put you back a day or two till they get that bit of trust back. No, biting is not allowed. What'a happened is they are feeling confident but don't know the rules since you haven't started working on that yet. I would just start not letting them nose at your pockets. All you have to do is push her nose away gently or make a movement that makes her back up a step or two when she does it. Don't shoo her or make the movement at her to chase her away, flap your arms, hop, slap the leg that's not next to her, anything that will get her attention off mooching and onto you. If she doesn't get the hint just get bigger with what you're doing until she does.

Oh, a really good habit to get into when you hand feed is to give it to them away from your body, not up close to you, it helps with being mobbed.

Thanks Taz & candycar! My neighbor was shocked by her farriers comment as well. She even said she might start using mine after hearing this. He comes and does her horses sometimes when she isn't there and now she is wondering if he mistreats her horses. What a jerk! He probably has the mentality that the little horses are useless. I love my farrier. She is gentle and compassionate and loves mini horses.

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back