Need Advice on Breeding Rascal to My Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyMiteVillage

Reaction score
On Valentine's Day I decided to go ahead and put my mares in with Rascal and see if he would bring them in heat. He loves his mares. He has three mares to call his own. He is very vocal when I come home from work and when it is feeding time. But a very sweet boy..........

Do you think I should take the mares back out and wait, because nothing seems to be happening. Or should I let them stay with him and eventually he will bring them into season.

Or should I take them out and put them in one at a time.......looking for advice on the best way to let him breed them. I would like for the girls to have early spring babies so the summer heat is not bad on them because two of them are black and the Georgia summers can be pretty miserable. So I want to try to get them bred early so they have them early in the year I mean.

He has bred other mares. So I know he will breed horses, but my girls have only been bred by horse studs so not sure how they will take to him breeding them. But they all seem to get along well together.

I am looking for any advice on breeding a mini jack to mini mares.........

Valentines was only 12 days ago, so maybe they just haven't cycled yet. I've had mini mares that have cycled most of winter, but seem to stop for Jan and/or Feb, so I'd just leave them until the whole cycle would have happened. If you're desperate, I know some breeders do use Lutalyse to bring into season or for those in quiet heat.

Have these mares ever been bred by a donkey? Some mares won't. I have 1 mare that we had to tease with a stallion and sneak the donkey in.

dbarj could also be right about them just not cycling yet. It could be to early for them yet.

Good luck with your project!

Yeah I kow it was just a few days ago. I was thinking that with it still being winter they just are not ready to have their cycles. But now that the days are getting longer that might change. I am definitely keeping htem in with him. No none of them have ever been bred by a donkey so we will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back