Need advice/instruction on major life change

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I can do this... Right? Here's my cons... (not really cons... But contributing factors)

I'm a high school drop out

I'm 32 years old & never really had a "real job" other than graphic work, computer work, & website design.

I have 5 kids ages are 14, 13, 12, 10, and 6. (most of you know this lol..)

Married to Donnie who is a volunteer firefighter (since July of this year)

I have my horses to take care of

I have Retinitis Pigmentosa which makes me night blind, and is affecting my peripheral vision

I have Macular Degeneration, which will eventually affect my central vision but the degree isn't known.

I can't see to drive at night, but I can get Donnie to do it for me.

Here's what I want to do...

My best friend is the Captain of our local volunteer fire department. He got my husband on as the Safety advisor and chaplain. I struggled with it so much because I couldn't take care of the guys and make sure they're ok... that's my job. Mother hen is practically my new name. Ok... So , I threw a fit till Donnie had to quit just to shut me up.

That's not what he wanted, and really not what I wanted. So... I told them what I wanted and Brandon (my best friend) went to the Chief and talked to him about it and the Chief says he'll put me on the Department as a firefighter and put me through the courses. So, I can be a firefighter (they do SO much more than just fight fires); so that's the first step in my new life plan.

The other part is the BIG part. I've always wanted to take care of people. Physically and emotionally. I am seriously a mother hen.
default_yes.gif
: So here's my plan, and I have the full support and encouragement of my husband, my best friend, my Chief, my family, and most surprising of all... MYSELF...
default_yes.gif
:

My plans are

1. Become a firefighter & complete the training (can do... Easy) I will NOT be fighting the fires, but I will be there at the fires and will be a responder to the many many things firefighters respond to.

2. Major goal... Become an EMT/EMS. Chief says he really needs one, and I can do that too ... Easy.

3. After I complete my EMT/EMS training I am going to begin courses to be a Post Traumatic Councilor. I will be the one who councils the responders after they've seen things people normally don't have to face. This would be a great help to all of the local departments.

4. Once that is secured... Then I'm going to take courses on becoming an Arson / incident investigator. I LOVE that stuff!!!

Ok. So.. I don't know where to get started. Chief will help, but I don't want to bother him right now... there's a lot going on and he's busy. OH.... Donnie IS back on the force, I told him to go ahead, I would settle down and ease off of the "freaking out" thing because I will gain a working knowledge of fire fighting since I will be one as well. Something we can do together and support one another in.

After talking to many of the most amazing people in the world... People that support me and encourage me.. And have faith in me when faith is the ONLY "F" word I can't manage to force myself to say... True friends, true family... I have realized that YES, some day I might become blind. But I am NOT going to let the thief and fear of tomorrow steal away my today!!!

My realization is... "Don't count me out when I aint even down yet!"
default_yes.gif
:

Realistically yes, it will be a long hard journey. It will take dedication, education, and self discipline... But I can do it. I believe I can do it. I did drop out my freshman year of high school, but I'm not stupid. I taught myself to use, repair, and rebuild computers. I taught myself to teach others how to use their computers. I taught myself to use an advanced website designing program and to build websites. I taught myself to use major graphics programs and make animations. No tutors, no courses, no books, I just became determined to learn and did it. There's probably better ways to learn things, but I found how the why's as well as the how's doing it the way I did.

I want my kids to be proud of me. I want me... To be proud of me.

Is there anyone on here that is in the EMT/Fire fighting/ or PTS counseling field that might be willing to mentor me?

Oh... And please please don't discourage me simply because I have some contributing factors or because I am a female, or because I am starting from dirt... I don't even have a foundation, but I promist you I can build one and I can make this work.

No experience in the field, but good luck and success on your journey. I admire your enthusiasm and spirit!

default_smile.png

Liz M.

You can do anything you want to do.

You can be anything you want to be.

Besides being a wonderful, carring, geniune friend, you have one of the the biggest hearts on the planet.

Not to mention that you are one of the most highly intelligent people I know.

If I was in a wreck, I'd want you there with me. No bull, just plain fact.

I'm so lucky to have you in my life.

Now don't forget; when you become a counsellor, I'm going to be your first patient, and you better believe it.

Latest posts

Back