Need advice from any Yorkie owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAminiatures

Reaction score
I accepted a 6 year old altered male yorkie that my neighbor was getting rid of due to having twins. The dog was trained to use puppy pads and didn't go outside very much so never learned to go outdoors to do his buisness. I have tried putting the diapers outside and crating him as well but it's not working. I have to watch him closely or he will go anywhere he wants. My husband likes the dog but not his behavior and wants me to find him a home as he has had it with the dog marking everything we own. He feels he needs someone to be with him more than we can.

Can this behavior be fixed? Can anyone advise me with things to try.

Thank you in advanve for any help at all.

There was a great thread a while back on housebreaking a dog. Here's the link:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132758&hl=housebreaking

Lots of great advice from ShortHorseMom in there.

No, it's not impossible to retrain an older dog but it's a matter of going back to the basics and totally retraining and it's going to take time and lots of patience. Another option many tiny dog owners use are belly bands. You could use one in the house and take it off outside.

This isn't a yorkie specific problem, but dog habits in general. My nieces yorkie is great about going outdoors but does occasionally mess in the house. One of my mini Aussies is wretched about it. The only solution, keep the dog by your side when out of the crate by using a collar and leash. Upon taking the dog out of the crate, bringing it outside and praise it when it does it's business. Make frequent trips to the potty when it is by your side, go overboard with praise when it does what it is suppose to. It can be resolved, but it takes consistency, time and patience. Do not scold the dog upon finding an old mess, it is not effective. If you catch them going a simple no and taking them out immediately to finish, followed by praise is the way to go.

I take in rescues and have run into this problem time and time again. Right now I have 7 "permanent" rescues in my home. 6 are chihuahua mixes and like all toy breeds (for the most part), are difficult to potty train. 4 are boys, so that adds in a new element (marking). 2 are pretty bulletproof, but the other 2 are totally unreliable. Therefore, I use belly bands. They work great and rarely do they ever go when they have the band on. It helps to "remind" them that they are not to go in the house. Everytime I put the belly band on them, I make a big deal out of it. Praise them and remind them not to go in the house. Works 99% of the time. One of my boys is handicapped and incontinent, so he has to wear the band. What is interesting is that for the most part, since he has been wearing the band, he is able to hold it until he gets outside. But if you take the band off, forget it!! I buy my belly bands on Etsy or Ebay. You just put a womens pad in them and you are good to go. They wash up great and the boys do not mind them at all. We call them their "shorts' and I have them in all different patterns and colors. Good luck and hopefully you will find a solution and the little guy will not have to be rehomed again.

Thank you all so much. I just ordered some belly bands for him. The last thing I want to do is rehome him. He is such a great little dog other than the marking everything. I have always had Boston Terriers and Dobermans and never had this problem. He is a feisty little dog but so darn cute and loving he just melts my heart. Thank you again.

Something has to work or I guess I will miss my husband
default_yes.gif

I see you've already gotten lots of information, but thought I'd share my story anyway.

This was quite a few years ago, I was still living in CO (not that important to the story), a friend had to help her mother's elderly friend move into an assisted care facility. the woman had a Bishon (sp?) that was totally unhousebroken, the lady did let the dog out to go potty, but was so afraid it would run off, so she always called it back before he did his business, so he messed in the house. My friend took on the dog when the lady went into the assisted living facility, and brought him home to her three dogs and a doggy door. I don't recall his previous name, but we renamed him "Whizzer" and it fit him; bringing him into this home iwth three other dogs that happily used the doggy door to go do their business outdoors, I don't think it took Whizzer a month to figure it out and within about 2 months he was 100% housebroke and even did well when the doggy door was "closed" and he had to hold it to wait for a person to let him out. He was probably 5-6 years old when my friend took over his care.

Yup can be done. See the link above so I don't have to retype everything. I don't like belly bands. Sorry. They absorb and hide and you don't catch the dog in the act of peeing. You will miss the timing of when the pee comes out or the leg starts to rise, correct, and redirect outside. Leash in the house at all times, no exceptions. Put on an "umbilical cord" at all times. Use a snap and attach leash to your belt loop. Does he pee in his crate? Just curious. some do. If they pee in the crate, they get no bedding in the crate until they are not having any more problems. I have house broken many older dogs and guided many folks on how to do it. clean up using natures miracle. Skip the bellybands, keep dog on a leash or in the crate, 100% supervision or confinement. Get rid of the pee pee pads, they teach the dogs that it is ok to pee in the house on something absorbant. Lots of praise and don't let the pup see you clean it up and never scold or show him the pee. Just praise for doing it right.

Do you have another dog in the house to show him how it is done? Helps a lot. If not, "borrow" a friends dog for a doggie visit. Pick one that is well housebroken. Take dogs out together to do business. Praise. You MUST go out with these dogs on a lead and not allow them to "free roam" the yard. Potty business can be a command like any other. I say "hurry up" because it makes me feel better on a cold day. I recently housebroke a 12 week old pup in one easy afternoon using my collie as a "show me" dog. My bonnie was 6 years old, she peed on her former owners bed, pillows and sofa and all over his house. DIdnt know how to walk on a lead or go outside. One year later, she is reliable and we only rarely have an accident. Usually my fault when we do have an accident like a stinky barn coat left on the floor is much too irresistable. typing fast, sorry if I repeat anything or this sounds rushed.

ps... just thought of something. Since he is a little dog and you are used to big or medium dogs... I just wanted to add here that you should treat him like a big dog. Feet on floor leash walk, no picking him up and carrying him around like a baby. He has feet, he should use them. No dressing him up in clothes either. Sorry, some folks treat little dogs like babies and they turn into tyrants. I have had tiny little dogs and they walk on a leash just like the big guys do, unless I think they are in mortal danger, I don't pick them up. Attitude and alpha helps with the the "I am boss guy pee on everything macho tiny dog" syndrome. haha. Like that description. I had a toy dog puppy once that weighed 1.6 lbs at 8 weeks and marched up to a 90 pound rotweiller and bit him on the nose. Rottie backed away and a tyrant was born. take care and bless you for adopting a special needs dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
My one shih-tzu was not housebroken when I got him..He went to his crate at night and when we were not home..This is how I housebroke him.I take him out in the morning,when he pees he gets 2 little doggie treats ( Natural doggie biscuits and they are small) when he poops he gets 2 more..He never gets treats other wise..Before long he would piddle, then walk up to me for his treats..Now he comes to me to be let out to go..He knows he is going to get a treat..But, no piddle no treat..Now he is in the crate at night,taken out before we go anywhere and not put in his crate when we leave..And he was 10 years old when I got him..He VERY seldom goes in the house now and when he has, it was OR fault,not his..I agree with NO belly bands..My Sister has Yorkies and keeps a belly band on her male but it does NOT teach him to potty outside..I see him hack his leg everywhere..And he has gotten the belly band off while she was gone..I ALWAYS go outside when my dog goes out..Rain,sleet.snow...LOL..But it got him house broke..

yep, izmepeggy is right, rain sleet snow.. go out with your doggies. You must watch their habits. I paid the price this morning by asking my daughter to let the dogs out last night. She took a shortcut, just opened the door, and then let them back in. did not watch and didn't make the old guys go off the porch. I found out about the shortcut this morning while I was cleaning up two nice stinking piles of poo and some pee. Going out with them keeps them honest. They know that if I am still out there, they are not getting food or treat and you see them say "oh shucks, might as well go". If they delay too long, I just start scooping the yard, that always gets them thinking. The only thing I regret is not asking my teenager to clean up the piles, might have been fun, but she has school today and after all, she is a teenager. Might have to roll up some tootsie rolls and put on her pillow later as a fun reminder. hahaha. Just kidding. Anyway. Everybody has one of those days. We know the rules here and what works. I have a houseful of geriatric dogs and know what works for mine. Hey didn't want to think the earlier poster that suggested bellybands was being bashed for her suggestion... I just don't like them. An obedience trainer friend of mine was fostering a dog and went with the bellybands. His little soggy belly bands got to be a pain and he would leave little wet marks everywhere and it was harder to clean up. By the way, a black light is good for spotting old marks you might have missed. Critical to keep marked areas clean. Also, he might be stressed with the rehoming, takes a good 6 months or so for most dogs to get over a major shift in family. I used DAP diffuser and that really helped my girl settle in and when stress is lowered training becomes easier. Keep thinking of things, what are you feeding this little dog? There are many dog foods out there with byproducts and salt and corn and fake coloring that encourage dogs to drink more and make housebreaking impossible. I would only go with a high quality food with decent ingredients as the top in the listing. take care still thinking... ps, be sure he does not have a medical reason for his marking such as a bladder infection. My bonnie was diagnosed with a bladder infection and stones. Took a prescription food to get her on track. Some dogs are trying to tell you something is wrong with their marking. I always rule out medical problems for lack of training. Worms or a ph problem can make any dog impossible to housebreak.

Latest posts

Back