Need advice for my young kitten

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhorses

Reaction score
I have my orphan kitten that was injured about a month ago that I have been raising. He is about 9 weeks old now. His ears were chewed up and healing nicely. However last week he started scratching his ears alot, and is losing hair on his ears and face, and also grooming his legs alot, one front leg he has licked the hair off. At first I just thought maybe the edges of his ears itched because they are healing, but they are just about fully healed and the hair loss is spreading. I was figuring it is likely ear mites, as I cleaned his ears good with q-tips and got lots of dark waxy material out. No smell to the ears at all. I do notice when I scratch the base of his right ear, it is extra sensetive and he shivers or shakes when I do it, but doesn't do it when I do the same to the left ear. I also thought maybe he has fleas. Went to the pet store and they said I can not treat for ear mites or fleas until he is at least 12 weeks old. They said for now I just have to tolerate it. Also in some google searching I read that ringworm is a potential cause of hair loss.

I guess I am wondering if anyone with more experience with kittens than I do has any ideas what I may be dealing with and if there are any treatments out there I can try for him that are safe for a kitten of his age. He is eating, drinking and playing normally, so otherwise acting like a kitten should. Thanks for any help or advice!

I have my orphan kitten that was injured about a month ago that I have been raising. He is about 9 weeks old now. His ears were chewed up and healing nicely. However last week he started scratching his ears alot, and is losing hair on his ears and face, and also grooming his legs alot, one front leg he has licked the hair off. At first I just thought maybe the edges of his ears itched because they are healing, but they are just about fully healed and the hair loss is spreading. I was figuring it is likely ear mites, as I cleaned his ears good with q-tips and got lots of dark waxy material out. No smell to the ears at all. I do notice when I scratch the base of his right ear, it is extra sensetive and he shivers or shakes when I do it, but doesn't do it when I do the same to the left ear. I also thought maybe he has fleas. Went to the pet store and they said I can not treat for ear mites or fleas until he is at least 12 weeks old. They said for now I just have to tolerate it. Also in some google searching I read that ringworm is a potential cause of hair loss.

I guess I am wondering if anyone with more experience with kittens than I do has any ideas what I may be dealing with and if there are any treatments out there I can try for him that are safe for a kitten of his age. He is eating, drinking and playing normally, so otherwise acting like a kitten should. Thanks for any help or advice!
Ear mites, mange, ringworm, allergies would come to mind quickly, but there are still some other choices. Good products are available for these things and a quick trip to the Vet is likely to have good results.

Dr Taylor

Latest posts

Back