need advice asap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
Have 2 mares that are drooling constantly and every once in a while seem to vomit some. They are eating fine and drinking ok so do appear to be choked. Appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Cannot get vet to answer. Left message but need suggestions on if I should do anything now. Thanks

Sounds like they may have been eating clover! It will cause them to salavate a lot but it won't hurt them! It's White Clover that causes this!

Bill

We had two quarter horses that did that one time. I thought they were dying!!! We had them in the trailer and the floor was literally wet under them. Were fine a few hours later.

I agree - it sounds like clover! If it is in their hay you need to change to a grass only hay or check it for clover... other than that keep them off any clover in the pasture....
default_yes.gif

same here sounds like clover slobbers

our 1 gelding is doing it now

ours is in the pastures

when we put them in theirs stalls

it goes away before morning

with their hay but comes back again the next day

we had it last year with a few different horses

last year was the first time I saw it

it lasted a couple weeks then we didn't see it again

till recently

they can make quite a pudding and when they open their mouth they actually let alot

out they have been holding in their mouth I guess

strange

But our vet said not a problem just dont let them in the pasture for awhile

if we want to stop it

I believe it is actually a fungus on the clover (if I recall it correctly).

I agree it sound like the culprit, but none the less, monitor them closely.

Use the process of elimination by removing them from the clover covered area and see what happens in 12-24 hours.

Well without being there I can't be sure of course what the cause is, but it is likely that a white froth/foam is from clover. None of my horses eat clover (it's very sweet), but I have seen other horses have this happen to them- kind of like the froth from eating an apple. If they are indulging themselves on the clover that much, though, you may want to limit their access.

I can assure you that they are not vomiting though- horses can't ;) (unless under very extreme conditions)

That's odd, my horses eat hand fed clover and some was in their last load of hay and it doesn't do anything to them. Around here right now in central PA Buttercups are popping up all over and those are the culprits of slobbering and frothy horses.

Years ago we had this happen to a mare. Other symptoms after the drooling are skin peeling from the head and heels. We had to keep her out of sunlight for 5 days as it makes them photo sensitive. If a horse is sensitive to it it can damage their liver etc if they keep getting clover. She had it happen again a couple years later and the 2nd episode was much worse then the first.

Latest posts

Back