Need advice about checking to see if colt dropped yet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I bought a colt a month ago, kind of a rescue, with the intention of gelding him asap. He is 10 months old. He came here full of worms and way underweight. Now he feels better and is a little stinker !

My question is will my vet be able to feel if he has dropped yet or is it too cold ? It has been in the uppers 40's recently so not freezing cold.

If its in the 40s your vet will be able to determine if he is ready to be gelded yet or needs to wait. It is better to geld in the cold than the heat because of the risk of infection spread by flies. My vet just warms her hands up before she checks (out of courtesy).

Some vets are good at finding them, some are not....always harder in the winter not only because of the weather but because it is not the normal breeding season and both mares and stallions tend to take some time off during these months....anyway sometimes a bit of tranquilizer can help find them or a ride in the trailer.

He is a good vet, I hope he finds them LOL I want this little guy gelded !

Thanks for the advice amysue, stormy, and rabbitsfizz.

I've honestly checked my colts myself and then had my vet come out.

Obviously when I'm able to feel them, they are decently dropped and will then be easier to geld. Also helps with handling. Most of my boys are just fine with being handled down there which helps with sheath cleaning in the warmer months.

I am going to TRY and feel myself but he is so dang fuzzy down there LOL

If you can't find them, SOMETIMES you can have your vet sedate them, lay them down ( in a nice way is what I mean) and roll them on their backs, this can get them to show themselves lol

Karen

Latest posts

Back