Need a mini blanket in Iowa!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopSpout

Reaction score
Figures! I clipped my mini last week because it was up to almost 90 on Sunday and now I'm worried that he's getting cold at night.
default_sad.png
It's been down to the 40s and next week it might even be a bit colder.

Does anyone know how I can get a mini blanket FAST? I found one on Amazon and it won't even ship until next week. I called the Tack Room in Waterloo and she said no mini blankets in stock but she's checking to see if they have any foal blankets that might work.

I need a 42" blanket and I am willing to drive a couple hours if need be, so if you know any place in Iowa please let me know! I live almost exactly right in the middle of the state.

I guess my lesson learned here is always check the 10-day forecast before clipping! Or at least have a blanket on hand. :/

You could always go to the store and buy a wool blanket--just an ordinary for-you-bed blanket & cut it down into horse blanket size/shape. I have used the wool hudson bay blankets to make foal blankets & they work so well--I didn't have to finish off the edges, just cut the blanket to the right shape, hand stitched the front closed, and then used a strip of fleece for the belly band--fastened it with velcro. They were very quick to make and the same sort of thing could certainly work for a larger size mini as well.. Even if you can't get a wool blanket any blanket would work. My foal blankets have stood up to several years of use; for an older mini they might not hold up as well but it would get you through to warmer weather and a real horse blanket.

You could also buy a fleece throw, but I don't find the fleece as warm as wool.

Anyone clipping before mid May should have blankets on hand before clipping...as you now know! It's okay for those in the southern states, but furner north we just can't count on the weather not turning cold again!

You could always go to the store and buy a wool blanket--just an ordinary for-you-bed blanket & cut it down into horse blanket size/shape.  I have used the wool hudson bay blankets to make foal blankets & they work so well--I didn't have to finish off the edges, just cut the blanket to the right shape, hand stitched the front closed, and then used a strip of fleece for the belly band--fastened it with velcro.  They were very quick to make and the same sort of thing could certainly work for a larger size mini as well..  Even if you can't get a wool blanket any blanket would work.  My foal blankets have stood up to several years of use; for an older mini they might not hold up as well but it would get you through to warmer weather and a real horse blanket.

You could also buy a fleece throw, but I don't find the fleece as warm as wool.

Anyone clipping before mid May should have blankets on hand before clipping...as you now know!  It's okay for those in the southern states, but furner north we just can't count on the weather not turning cold again!
Thank you for the tip, I am going to see what I can find tonight after work.I have him inside at night and the temperature is usually +20 in the barn, so he should be okay. But I'm going to need the blanket for the fall anyway if we were to show later in the season.I am still kicking myself for clipping him early!
default_sad.png
Thank you for the advice, I will make sure to have blankets on hand in the future before clipping.

You could also go to a second hand store, or your kids bedroom if you have any young children, and get an old sweatshirt to use. Or if it is an adult horse, use an adult's sweatshirt??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Top Sprout! Clipping this spring is really iffy, isn't it? We had 36 degrees last night..........and 93 degrees on Monday. If you want to contact me, I've got a blanket I could lend you until you can find one. It's used, but would work. What size is your horse?

If you go to the Tough 1 site, you could probably get one shipped today. I have 5 horses clipped and some heads and necks and we live in the northeast. Everyone has a blanket or sheet on and then we take them off to work them or if it's sunny and 50 degrees. Most of the time we can take them off. They will be sure to find a poop pile to roll in! Then of course, they have to be blown off and brushed before putting their blankets and neck wraps on.

Good Luck finding a blanket.

We have some new mini blankets if you want to contact me, I can check to see if we have 42" when I go over there later otherwise I might have a new or used one here in Dysart, IA. The others are located in Center Point, IA. I can always bring one back with me if we have that size if Dysart is closer for you. you can call or email me [email protected] or 319-560-1859.

Hmm, I realized I said Dysart because that is our address but we are actually closer to Keystone, IA :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all so much for you help! Herron Stables has some options for me so I'm going to run over there today after work. I really appreciate those who offered to lend me one, you guys are all so generous.
default_smile.png

Now I know my little man will be comfy in his stall tonight, whew! As long as he's happy momma's happy.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back