Neck sweats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
OK very basic Q!

How do you use a neck sweat, how long do you leave it on? How often do you put it on?

I am assuming you use it to sweat their neck and loose the excess fat and therfore show off the neck better? If I am wrong, please tell me why you use them?

Also can anyone direct me on how to start an exercise program for an overweight young stallion.

I know I have seen a thread on this before just cannot seem to bring it up???

Thanks!

Hi,

You would use a neck sweat to lose excess moisture from the neck. It helps to clean up a neck, most horses can use a little help in this area, some of them can use a lot.

If you have a properly made neck sweat w/polar fleece lining, you can leave it on quite a lot. The sweat that I have that is made by Joanne Anderson of Gold Vision farm is nice this way.

I leave it on my horse for as long as 20 hours at a time, but usually do not leave it on for more than 12 hours. It consists of a throat latch sweat, a neck wrap and then a full neck sweat that covers him from ears to withers.

There are many variations and if the sweat is neoprene only, do not leave it on very long, i.e., just when working them, and then remove it and rinse the neck area w/clear water.

I find that the combination throat latch and neck wrap work best, w/the fleece.

Give them at least 6 hours per day to air out and go w/out the sweat for comfort's sake.

Liz

Oh, yeah, as for the overweight program, start exercise very slowly. I would be hesitant to decrease feed dramatically, instead I would start the exercise. If he is not showing signs of losing weight w/just the exercise (say start w/ten minutes of light work per day and move up every week to about 15 minutes, then twenty, etc. til he is at a half hour or so by the end of two months or so.

If he is severely overweight, I would progress even more slowly, and if he is younger than a year, same thing.

You might discuss the feed program w/the vet and get a weight on him as opposed to his ideal weight.

It would help greatly to know a) his age, b), his current feed amounts/types, c) his current activity level, and c) a photo along w/height.

Sometimes a horse looks overweight when in fact they have a bloated belly due to a lack of proper nutrition or worm load, etc. Many owners mistake this for a hay belly or a fat horse and they further decrease the feed, resulting in gross malnutrition. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but it does happen to the best of us.

Liz M.

Hi Nootka,

Firstly, Thanks for the info. Does that lady have a website, where you bought the neck sweat??

I just got the stallion today. I will start to worm him and make sure he is not suffering from worms.

However, he was in with a gelding and I now have both. The gelding is very underweight and the stallion has a fat belly. The seller said that the stallion was the dominant horses and would eat most of the grain. Can worms make one horse pot bellied and the other one very thin???

The stallion is 2 and 30" tall and I think just hung out in a small pasture with his buddy. He is getting sweet feed 12% and beet pulp. I will have to go and check the directions sent, I am not sure if it said 2 cups or 2 scoops, it is a large scoop, can't imagine that would be right???

I will go now and try and take some pics!

I just went out to try and get to know them and the gelding seems very uninterested in food??? But he has just travelled a long way, maybe he is out of sorts??

I will take pics and see what you can tell from that!

THANKS!!!!!!!!

What does Nootka mean??

Latest posts

Back