Neck Streaching and Leg Streaching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
To streach the neck can I use a small treat in she show ring? And are you aloud to set your mini up by moving his legs with your hands? I have to have my mare streached out because she has a belly right now, is that ok? Will the shows dock me points for streaching her out? Thanks in advance!

Katie

Yes, you are allowed to "bait" your horse in the ring. People have become very creative with different things, but you have to be considerate of the other horses in the ring too. Dont bring in something that would spook or disrupt any other horses...

Yes, you can set up your horse with your hands, or any way. You can basically do anything to make your horse show it's best to the judge....

It depends on the judge...some like them stretched, some dont. But, if you think she looks better stretched, then stretch her.

-Kris

Thanks! What would happen if I took her to compete in a local show against big horses(full size) and tried to set her up using my hands? The judges would think I was nuts and porbably disqualify me, wouldnt they? Can you only set them up like that in AMHA?AMHR shows?

Katie

I wouldnt know since I have never shown with big horses with the minis.

But, if they do...it is quite easy to train them to move there feet with out touching them. Try "figiting" with his halter, pulling in dif directions, and see what works for him. Keep working on it till he knows if u pull a certain way, to move a foot. Then back off touching the halter...and control it by just the lead shank....

Its hard to explain..but does this make sense?

BTW, I dont think the "big horse people/judges" would like the stretching.

-Kris

BTW.....in showmanship, you are not allowed to touch your horse...so if you plan to do that with her...then I would train her by not touching her legs, and use the halter technique.

Good luck!!

-Kris

My friend shows their minis in open shows against the big horses, and they are allowed to "manually" set up... and bait also... and might I add... they do quite well against all the big horses.

On the stretching if a judge doesnt like they will ask you to restack them up. At Estes Park a 4 judge show one of the judges preferred them not so she asked people to set them more square. Ive seen them ask before. Ive personally never seen them ask you to stretch them out, so start out more if you want they can always ask you to restack.
smile.gif

like others have said judges will ask you to "square your horse" so be prepared to do that, and as far as bait goes some horses do better with a treat and some do better trained to a hand.

Ok thanks! So, in the mini showmanship shows I cant touch my horse, or in big horse showmanship?

-Katie

In any showmanship class. All the commands are to be done through the halter. For example, to teach them to move their left near foot, pull backwards toward the near side with the halter. To move the front near foot, pull their head sideways and back. It takes time and patience, but once they learn it, it looks great.

Latest posts

Back