Neck covers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I'm taking 2 of my girls to the PA Horse expo in late February. Right now, I plan to clip their heads and necks. I have blankets but not blankets with neck covers. I'm looking at ordering a couple of neck covers. Can you use them alone? I've also thought about doing something with fleece, but am not sure it would be thick enough, keep the warm enough.

Generally, I don't clip this early but I don't want to take them 100% winter wooley. The goal is to show the breed in it's best light and they do look better without the woolies.

Purhaps you could use neck sweats at night. I would think that at the end of Feb. they may not need something for day time, unless the weather gets freaky again like it is right now. I've used neck sweats the end of Feb. when I'm getting the horses ready to show and also used the slinkys, but know I don't leave slinkies on my horses anymore since one time I went into feed in the AM and one of our geldings had some how undone the velcro on the nose section and the slinky slipped up into his eyes and rubbed them.

I bet the stretchy hood and neck cover would stay on by itself. I use the ones that pull over the face and velcro over the withers and thru the legs so it cant slip up or down. Eye injuries are no joke, riverrose, I hope ur pony's eyes are okay now. The quilted hoods and neck covers may slip off without a blanket holding them but you could try it and see what happens before u clip just for a trial run. there is no reason u cant use one alone especially if just the neck and face is clipped. I know schneiders makes a horse sized "faceless hood" thats made out of blanket material but fits like a neck sweat but does not actually sweat the horse. It may be worth looking in to. Have fun at the expo, sounds like a ton of fun.

Latest posts

Back