Naval Cord

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineyoaks miniatures

Reaction score
I don't often post but I have a question that maybe some of you could maybe answer.

My mare had a foal a month ago that never broke the cord when born, the sack and all seemed to come out when she did. Was already on the ground when I found them. Anyway, I waited till it quit pulsating and then tied it off two places and cut between the ties. Put iodine on it two days in a row and so forth

But my question is, it is dried up but still hanging on, I cut it about 3 inches from the belly, and it is still about the size of my little finger. When do they normally fall off? To look at the foal you would think it is a boy but it's a filly.

I've never had that happen in all these years........even when we had to do the "tie and cut" of the cord.

I take it that it's all dried now.......I would cut it even shorter at first. And perhaps with some manipulation it will fall off on it's own. If it doesn't, I'd consult with your vet.

We had a quarter horse colt do this. We didn't have to cut the cord, but after it dried up it was still hanging on. It ended up that the navel cord never dried inside. It was still "alive". He also had a double hurnia. I would have a vet look at it. Eventually his did heal, but was always bigger than a normal foal. The vet said sometimes they need to have surgury on it.

That is a human method of taking care of a persistant cord
default_smile.png
The prefered equine method is to PULL the cord apart with your hands, without tying. The stretching closes the blood vessels and prevents bleeding. Cutting the cord promotes bleeding and delays healing. Unless the cord is too thick in some abnormal way, its better to tear the cord rather than cut it.

I have had this happen with one of my mares--twice. I read in one of the books I keep in my foaling kit--exactly what Nathan said. (He knows a LOT more than me!
default_yes.gif
) But I followed the book's instructions: 1. find the weak spot in the cord near the foal's belly. 2. Knead the weak spot between your thumb and finger until it breaks. 3. Treat as usual.

I always make sure my hands are clean.

It's hard to picture what it feels like until you'be done it once. But there really is a "weak" spot.
default_yes.gif

Nathan and BarnBum have it right....as far as any vet would tell you. I had a preemie born this year that the cord and placenta came out with her....called my trusty vet and she told me once again....find the weak spot on the cord and pull it....This year was a bit different as we could not find a weak spot at all on the cord...so my husband just kept "milking" a spot close to the belly and it finally thinned out enough to break.

Becky

Latest posts

Back