Natural ways to induce labor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So, Im at the end of my pregnancy, and I cant wait to meet my little man. He's due Friday, and I welcome him to come anytime before then. Actually, I hope he comes before Thursday, because my 23 year old sister is scheduled for a mastectomy on Thursday, and she really wants to be at the hospital when Colton is born. That said, what are some of the old wives tails you've heard to start labor? going walking, eating egg plant, pineapple, etc? I wont do anything potentially harmful to the baby, but while Im on maternity leave I can certainly take a few extra walks. I would rather he come out on his own, since they already have my induction scheduled if he doesn't make his appearance by a certain date.

Just for fun, here is a picture of me about 7 weeks pregnant, ready to go out for halloween with my hubby, and another one of my 39 week pregnant belly from friday.

388455287.jpg

388414608.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh I know that feeling I tried EVERYTHING. Pineapple, walks, warm baths, spicy food. Do not try codliver oil that was the one thing I was told, so I didn't. In the end I had an induction at 40 weeks. It was not the most fun 36 hours of my life and in the end I had a section anyway. How engaged is the baby so far? I think that has alot to do with then labour starts.

awwww look how cute you look! There are so many different things sex is one of them but honestly when I was 39 weeks I could not think of anything in the world more unappealing
default_new_shocked.gif
:OKinteresting

I have heard driving over bumpy dirt roads but of course while we all wanted to the baby out at this point in pregnancy I personally think nothing will hurry them up until they are good and ready!

Good luck cant wait to see baby pics!

Foot Massage is supposed to induce labor but I know it didnt work for me.. I had to be induced as well...

I feel for you...I've got twelve more weeks to go.

I, too, heard sex is supposed to help induce labor and walking up and down stairs (carefully). Then again, I, too, was induced last time. Maybe you could hold off for a few weeks and wait for your sister to recover....I'm kidding, of course.

Sending good wishes and thoughts to you, your baby boy, and your sister.

Walk, walk, walk, and then you might walk some more. Other than that there is the "intimacy" card. I taught childbirth classes for years and those last couple of weeks were the busiest time for my telephone. 30+ years later i still remember MY last two weeks with each of my kids. Try to get your mind off of it (yeah, right, I know) because in a couple of weeks you are going to wonder why you wanted that baby out so much. It is so much easier where it is right now.
default_wink.png
Good wishes your way, and get out and go for a walk....

Wbecause in a couple of weeks you are going to wonder why you wanted that baby out so much. It is so much easier where it is right now.
default_wink.png
LOL well that is true-

It is castor oil not cod liver oil and My mom went to the DR and she said she was done and was going to have that baby. He warned her NOT to take the castor oil. On her way home she bought some. She got home and took it. that evening, before it could do anything she went into labor and had the baby. The DR really had a good laugh and she had diarrhea all day the next day. I wouldn't mess with mother nature. Your baby will come when he is ready. Which by the way, may not even be Friday. You never know.

I've heard raspberry leaves can induce labor and are supposidly very safe. Can also affect the heat cycles and hormonal issues in mares by feeding it regularly. Often used in a Tea for humans. Maybe do some research on it. Can't hurt to try if it's safe.

I've heard raspberry leaves can induce labor and are supposidly very safe. Can also affect the heat cycles and hormonal issues in mares by feeding it regularly. Often used in a Tea for humans. Maybe do some research on it. Can't hurt to try if it's safe.
Sorry to interupt, but Boinky...I tried to PM you, but it tells me you cannot get any new messages...is your box full?

This is not an old wives tale but I will share with you both times I birthed a huge sneeze broke my water. Not intentional, I was laying in bed asleep both times and sat up abruptly and sneezed! First time six weeks early and second time 3 days late. I am not suggesting you take a whiff of black pepper but it's your call.
default_wink.png

Speaking from experience with "over due" babies, 42 weeks is truly over due. Inductions happen a lot of times too soon and end up in c-sections due to one complication or another. Baby will come when he's ready and not before. My first was a 26 weeker and spend 15.5 weeks in the NICU, second was 40 weeks 5 days and third was born a full week past my due date! They come on their own time.

I would recommend walking, sex, etc... But speaking from experience, you DO NOT want to do castor oil! It's horrible!
default_sad.png

Good luck!

Your belly photo looks a lot like mine did at that stage, looks still a bit high. I used to laugh when people would say ages to go you haven't dropped yet. I thought I couldn't drop anymore and I never did. Second baby was breach and that was a very different experience.

My belly looks different everyday, somedays it looks like im carrying him between my knee's lol, others he looks high.

Here is my 38 week picture, I almost think I look bigger and lower in it than my 39 week picture.

388122240.jpg

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon, lets hope they tell me I've dialated some more.

PS, ignore my jammies, Im to that big and miserable stage where even my XL maternity clothes dont fit right, and at this stage of the game, Im not spending more money on maternity clothes lol I have enough that if I need to go out I have some, but at home its strictly sweats or jammies lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I can sympathise, my first was 12 days late - the midwives did 2 sweeps which I think started labour, although I reckon he'd have been happy waiting a little longer! I have a 6 month wait then I'll be thinking just like you as my second is due December 15th.

Best of luck with it all, hope you have a swift labour and easy birth!

Maria

Just like mares and foals babies come when they are ready
default_smile.png
I know its miserable but its best to let mother nature say when the baby will come. I had one baby induced out of 3 and it was the worst labor and delivery by far. The other 2 I had in 1hr and 3 hrs. The induced baby took 8 hrs and was way worse pain then the 2 natural.

The road I live on has been used multiple times to induce! It's a private road, not maintained, and very rocky/bumpy. Several of our friends have literally driven up and down our road a couple of times and had their babies within 2 days of it. Something about the bumping around I guess.

My Grandmother made my Mom scrub the kitchen floor on her hands and knees.

Don't know if it worked, I was in utero for that fun activity.

Can't relate to your discomfort, but I have a good imagination.

Latest posts

Back