Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frizzle's Gal

Reaction score
My parents and I are trying to decide weither to go down to Nationals to look for a new horse or not. I was there back in 05' and there were many horese for sale, but I havnt been there recently, and I know many of you have. What do you think? Is it worth the money to go down? Thanks!!

What are you looking for?

Never been to Nationals, this is my first year going ....but i know a few people who will have horses for sale at Nationals, would be a nice place to find a youth gelding
default_wink.png
. As of today however, my shopping for the year is done and the 09 show string is full
default_biggrin.png

The Nationals is a great place to locate a farm from which you can purchase an animal to fit your requirements. There are usually several great minis for sale & the price can/does easy change once they go thru the show ring. I love to just browse way before talking to the owner so I can judge the way they treat their minis. Many many times I will keep on walking because of there actions. I also choose a trainer this way. I do not win at any cost, the mini is 1st, but we have done very well over time in the ring.

Why I say, choose a farm at the Nationals, because many farms eventually will be noted for certain types of minis & you need to keep in mind your future as many of the best minis are sold BEFORE anyone sees them.

That relationship you build with farms that fit your requirements will pay dividends over time.

Its just like working with a vet before you have that 2am bad delivery in a ice storm.

Hope you make it to the Nationals...the best come to this show...

okay. thanks for the tips! Could I find a reasonably priced horse? I know the best of the best are here, but with the market being so low, are they still going to go for a lot?

Prices are all over the board. It all depends on the purpose of the seller with their minis & what is your need. Some people try to break even, other use it as a living, some help newbees, others want their minis in the top shows to build or keep a name on top, many will sell cheaper to a youth or some not.

How do you price a used car/truck from an individual?

Good hunting for your next mini.

Hello! It is an awesome place to buy a mini! We are going to bring some of our horses to sell there. Laura Tennil of Ten-L Training Center will have some babies I bet. She is our trainer and she is a very nice and personable person! Best Wishes on finding your dream horse,Amelia Lee

I know of a few people heading out to nationals, and yes, I would say it would be a good place to go shopping.

the mention of the price changes in and out of the show ring is an important tip BTW.

I went to Worlds a few years ago, and Really liked a filly. I dragged my feet, she got top ten in her class, and out classed my wallet! :DOH! I was thrilled for her owners however!
default_yes.gif

Okay thanks everyone! so if I like a horse try and buy it before it goes in to show? Its that possible?

It is a great place to see lots of horses in person. Personally, you might get a better DEAL by shopping online and taking your time and comparing... but you can't see the horses in person and you have to pay shipping.

I would second being sure to try to buy the horse before it shows if you REALLY like it, because if it does well the price could go up or another buyer might beat you to it. On the other hand, if it doesn't do well, the price could decrease too!!!

All in all, GO to Nationals even if you don't buy anything. Pay CLOSE attention to the classes and what is winning... and check out those horses closely if you can. It's the only way to get a better eye, and try to get a show horse similar.

Good luck,

Andrea

My parents and I are trying to decide weither to go down to Nationals to look for a new horse or not. I was there back in 05' and there were many horese for sale, but I havnt been there recently, and I know many of you have. What do you think? Is it worth the money to go down? Thanks!!
It is positively worth it! There is no where else that you can find such a selection to choose from. Many from top show farms, prices are always nego! We are bringing several AMHR/ASPC colts and fillies that will be for sale. However if there is a horse you like before it goes to Nationals, I would not sit and wait on it. Many people have lost out on a horse this way.

Last year there were many minis for sale and there was a lot of buying and selling going on. In fact many horses get sold that are not even listed for sale. Most people would take it as a compliment if you liked their horse enough to inquire about it.
default_yes.gif

We are bringing several 08 weanlings in appy and overo to show and they are for sale but if they dont thats ok as they are all nice enough to be keepers
default_biggrin.png
So dont be shy walk the barns and I bet u will find your dream horse.

If you would like I can send you some pictures of one of our colts?!?Amelia

Or you can go to tenltraining.com. Laura Tennil is a wonderful person. She has some of our horses in training. She has some you might like on her sales page,Amelia

We often go there to deliver foals & horses we've sold. We are only a few hours away from Tulsa.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back