Nationals...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph G

Reaction score
I am thinking about sending a horse to nationals next year and was wondering what the average cost is. I know it's a long way off, but I'm just curious as to how much I'll need to budget. I've never done anything on that level before and I'm sure there will be something I won't think about that will add to the cost.

So, if you don't mind posting the total cost and then tell me what things you are factoring into that cost(kinda like a mastercard commercial
default_biggrin.png
)

Off the top of my head ....

Stalls $60

Open classes $35

Amateur $25?

You think I would remember as I just got done filling out 10 entry forms.
default_wacko.png

Jamie gave you the link so that'll help you out.
default_yes.gif

You will also need to factor in mileage - if a trainer hauls your horse - and fuel to get yourself there, plus hotel, meals, shopping (oh yes!), trainer expenses if applicable for training, showing and expenses......

That should get you started.
default_smile.png

Jan

Also, don't forget shavings. I think I used 3 or 4 per stall for the 10 days we were there and also the office fee--which I think is $10 per horse this year. You will need to contact the trainer you would like to use because that will probably be your biggest expense. Figuring 2 open classes + stall + office fee + 3 or 4 shavings, that adds up to about $175 per horse. For me, that is not bad. The travel expenses are what eats me up. We have and will stay in a stall instead of a motel if we go again this year. They have great shower facilities.

Angie

Aha, shavings! I hadn't thought about that.

Soooo...

trainer (mileage included)

entries

stall

SHAVINGS

office fee

anything else?

Trainers will generally bill for their hotel costs and meals as well, though they will split those up between all of the clients. Will you be going to watch your horse too? Figure in your hotel costs, meals, etc.
default_yes.gif

I don't think I'll be able to go. I'll have to see how much sending her alone costs first, then it'll depend on what classes fall on what days. It's hard for me to get away from work.

Thanks everybody!

Back