Nationals-Sleeping in trailers or stalls...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhminis

Reaction score
For those of us that will be sleeping in our horse trailers - how far away from the barns are they parked? And do you use the RV/Camper area for hookups; or do you use a generator for your lights, etc in your living area?

For those sleeping in the stalls - are there showers, etc. to use when needed?

Jane sleeps in the horse trailer, not parked in the campground. They are pretty far from our stalls- maybe 200 yards or so. No hook ups for us, no generator. She does have a camp potty in the trailer since it's rather far.

I sleep in the stall. Where we are is about halfway between the restrooms (we are normally right at the crux of Barn A and Barn B). The restrooms are clean, and I've never noticed the showers to be awful bad. There are showers at the ends of the barns I've been in.

All in all, it's a pretty neat and clean place.

Lucy

I have been told there are a lot of vendors there - how fun!! Is there also several food vendors there that you don't have to actually leave the barn/arena area - if you are staying in your stall/trailer. Is there a vendor that serves breakfast food, lunch food, etc.? Or will I have to unhook and go get food to eat?

RV camp area is about 2 blocks from the arena area so you will need a scooter/golf car to go back and forth during the day. RV slots are $35/day and paid in full at the time you make your reservation. Lots of folks rent extra stalls and make kitchens/bedrooms out of them. You must have some sort of cover over your sleeping stall or you will have presents left from the piegons. There are showers in all the barns I believe. I know in Barn B there is a large restroom area with changeing stalls, showers etc. Barn C I don't think has showers but is real close to B. Facilities are clean and neat.

Lots of vendors, as for food that is controled by the Expo Center and they do have breakfast but you will get extremely tired of hamburgers during you stay. There are lots of places to eat close to the expo center--one of the best is Talley's which is just about a 1/2 mile north of the fairgrounds. Wonderful food and great prices.

I get an extra stall that I turn into a Kitchen. I take a small refridgerator, crock pot, electric griddle, toaster oven, etc. There is a great Grocery Store just across Yale Avenue from the fairgrounds. We can have breakfast every morning. Having the crock pot make it easy to put something on and let it go until dinner time. My son who lives just north of Tulsa will bring over his grill so we can also do some grilling--nothing better than baked potatoes done on the grill. Having the kitchen sure saves of the food bill.

Bring a credit card with a big limit as there are vendors all over the place and you can alway find something to buy.

Can't wait just OH GEEZE little over 60 days before the big event. See everyone there

We have stayed in the rv area with hookups. They have showers there too in case you need them. It was really handy and fun. We have stayed at hotels too, but never in a stall.... however know others who have. And yes, if you can make some of your own accomidations in the stall, that is great. However, there really are not any food vendors there. You have about one choice and yes, it gets old FAST. We would stock up the ice chest with our own water, juice, etc... and stuff for sandwiches and other stuff during the day. The last time, when we stayed in the RV thing as we had living quarters, we did some of our own cooking there and that was nice. I get tired of eating out really fast, LOL

We stay in our trailer. We don't have any hook ups. To be honest, we haven't needed them. After 4 years of thinking our trailer was wired wrong we found out it was our old truck. So now we just have to flip the switch in our dressing room and we have a light. But what we have used the last few years were battery operated lanterns. We just are not in the trailer more than an hour or two a day besides sleeping. We are parked in the lot just off from our barn, not the RV campground so it isn't too far away. We have a camper potty in there in case the kids need to go. We do have a mini fridge in our tack stall and stock up on food and drinks. We also bring our microwave.

A lot of people think we are nuts sleeping in a trailer for 10 days. We even do it with my kids who are now 4 and 9 but were 4 months and 5 years old when we started. I just washed bottles in the bathroom and we used a pack n play. The showers are nice and usually clean. There are also washer and dryers there if needed.

OK so I'm planning to sleep in my stall. This Ontario girl needs to know...what about the SPIDERS?

OK so I'm planning to sleep in my stall. This Ontario girl needs to know...what about the SPIDERS?
Personally, I've never seen any spiders.
default_biggrin.png

Now, at HOME, that's an entirely different story!
default_new_shocked.gif

Lucy

Spiders don't bother me, but, mice do! LOL

I have a 2 horse bumper pull and we clean out, sweep well, the back where the horses are, have an inflatable air mattress with the legs, put down a tarp or rug, have the micro, sm.ref and a small air conditioner for a window if needed...a portable potty in back tack area and we're just like home! Oh yeah, put a rope on the back door and tie it shut...Hey, works for us and alot cheaper than hotels..

Spiders don't bother me, but, mice do! LOL

I have a 2 horse bumper pull and we clean out, sweep well, the back where the horses are, have an inflatable air mattress with the legs, put down a tarp or rug, have the micro, sm.ref and a small air conditioner for a window if needed...a portable potty in back tack area and we're just like home! Oh yeah, put a rope on the back door and tie it shut...Hey, works for us and alot cheaper than hotels..
I'll take a mouse over a brown recluse spider any day! I was under the impression that there were a lot of these guys in the barns at Nationals.
default_new_shocked.gif

I've been to Tulsa show grounds many times and never seen a spider - well, not one big enough to even be considered a brown recluse. That's not to say that they couldn't be there but they are more likely in a weedy area or someone's yard than the barns.

We've never stayed in a stall there as I was concerned it would be too hot. The weather can swing anywhere from 100s to 50s with rain that floods a few of the stalls. We have a couple of other places and I actually enjoy being that close to the horses and not wasting time driving. I'm not much of a pool or hot tub person.

We stayed in a camper a couple of times there and the campgrounds are about 1 to 2 blocks from the barns, depending on what barn you are in. The people (those that run the campground and the security staff) are very friendly and helpful.

No matter where you sleep, I wouldn't advise running around alone at night. Not that it's dangerous but you have to be careful; that's all. The area is not a "high end" part of town and security has to run off at least one vagrant a year that is found sleeping on someone's rented couch.

National's is a blast. Just try to relax and enjoy!

No matter where you sleep, I wouldn't advise running around alone at night. Not that it's dangerous but you have to be careful; that's all. The area is not a "high end" part of town and security has to run off at least one vagrant a year that is found sleeping on someone's rented couch.
And that is the main reason I take my dogs with me- everywhere. They sleep in the stall with me and come with me when I need a potty break in the middle of the night- so, if you see a chocolate Lab and a Jack Russell in the restroom... I'm in there somewhere!
default_laugh.png

Lucy

I'll take a mouse over a brown recluse spider any day! I was under the impression that there were a lot of these guys in the barns at Nationals.
default_new_shocked.gif
Well I don't think I like those kind! LOL Maybe take some bug spray that will kill spiders and spray around the tack room..And put a tarp on top of the stall.

We have stayed in the stalls the last 4 years. I love it!! it is like a camping trip and i can hang out at the arena and watch all hours of the night while my early to bed family can go on to bed. I like being near my horses too. I just feel they are safer that way. Plus you could never stay in a hotel for 2 weeks for only $70. i would suggest a potty chair at night if you have a tendency to need "to go" if you stay in the stall. Thats what we do and we love it!!

Latest posts

Back