NATIONALS...I love seeing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
This is not a criticism of others, as I think it's great when trainers involve youth in their programs, and it's fantastic for the kids to get a chance at showing a national caliber horse, but...

I LOVE looking through the AMHR youth results and seeing where the youth showing is also the registered owner (some appear to be owned by all the kids, or the kids and their parents).

I realize this is no guarantee that the horse is the AMHR equivalent of AOTE -- some of these are big farms or have been with trainers, but I'm hoping that at least a few are small farms where the kids did a lot of the training

...maybe I'm just totally naiive, but it would be nice if there were special recognition of youth who make it to Nationals on their own with their own horse...

I bought my own horses, trained them myself AND took them to nationals where Dealer pulled a top ten in jumper ((4th)) out of 57 and although Peanut gave it his all in showmanship, we didnt place. BUT he was the only horse to pivot correctly and stand still the whole time. I was proud!

Dealer was also the only horse who really pivoted. Dealer digs a hole with his foot when he goes around. Yet some of the horses didn't stick a pivot, and they placed. I don't get it. The show-ers didn't take a step when the judge passed the withers ((its IN THE RULEBOOK)) and their horses didnt stand still, yet they placed over mine who was an angel about everything and I did a perfect pattern...

Sorry little vent there. I worked so hard for that, and didnt get anything.

Regardless of how the judge placed you, be very proud that you know you and your horse done a super job.
aktion033.gif
Wish that all you kids that work so hard could be placed first but ya gotta remember it is just a judges opinion. I commend you for going and giving your best.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Mary

Feather1414 said:
I bought my own horses, trained them myself AND took them to nationals where Dealer pulled a top ten in jumper ((4th)) out of 57 and although Peanut gave it his all in showmanship, we didnt place. BUT he was the only horse to pivot correctly and stand still the whole time. I was proud!
Dealer was also the only horse who really pivoted. Dealer digs a hole with his foot when he goes around. Yet some of the horses didn't stick a pivot, and they placed. I don't get it. The show-ers didn't take a step when the judge passed the withers ((its IN THE RULEBOOK)) and their horses didnt stand still, yet they placed over mine who was an angel about everything and I did a perfect pattern...

Sorry little vent there. I worked so hard for that, and didnt get anything.

465965[/snapback]

firstprize.gif

CONGRATULATIONS, Jamie!! This is exactly what I'm talking about!

You should be SO proud of your accomplishments...I sure am proud of you!

Yes, Jamie....you should be very proud of yourself!
aktion033.gif
Years from now, you'll look back at the "experience" of showing your horse and will just sit back and smile. These are the best times of your life!
yes.gif

Susanne, as I browsed through the online results I couldn't help but notice the same thing you just said..........I am in TOTAL AWE of the families who's kids/grandkids show their own horses. Quite a few forum members too
yes.gif
aktion033.gif
Way to go youth!!!
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif

I applaud the kids that do it all on their own , too. My first quarterhorse that I raised from a baby and showed and won with in 4-H made me cry. That was the greatest thrill.

I work with a group of kids that don't have the means to buy their own. One of my mares was ground driven and broke to drive by a 9 year old with an adult giving her instruction. They do most of the work and especially in showmanship which I do NOT do well.

We are proud of them for each effort and ribbon they win. Just the confidence they gain by going in front of people is a reward.

So if you ever get a chance to have a youth help you at shows and show with you take advantage of it. You both win.

I must add my two cents here as I have a daughter who will be 4 in October. We just bought a mini and can only afford to have the one right now, so he is a family horse for now. We have taken him to two shows this year. The first one did not have a tots class, but the second one did. My daughter ended up showing a friends horse because she felt more comfortable showing that one because it was more her size. She brought home sixth place and got the cutest little trophy. Now my point is that if we had the money, she would most certainly have her own mini that we would help her train, but that just is not possible right now. Although I agree with all of you 100%, we must remember that there may be something else that is keeping the youth from having their own horse to train and show like the money issue.

flashsnewmom said:
I must add my two cents here as I have a daughter who will be 4 in October.  We just bought a mini and can only afford to have the one right now, so he is a family horse for now.  We have taken him to two shows this year.  The first one did not have a tots class, but the second one did.  My daughter ended up showing a friends horse because she felt more comfortable showing that one because it was more her size.  She brought home sixth place and got the cutest little trophy.  Now my point is that if we had the money, she would most certainly have her own mini that we would help her train, but that just is not possible right now.  Although I agree with all of you 100%, we must remember that there may be something else that is keeping the youth from having their own horse to train and show like the money issue.
466035[/snapback]

I dont think its that its bad that kids show others horses. Its just a really big thing when a kid works so hard to get a horse just for themself. I saved for a year to buy Dealer. Then I put in MANY hours of training myself and I brought him to nationals and placed in jumper.

I do see where you are coming from though.

Well....I don't go to nationals...but I sure do show my horses myself, with all the training that entails!

Both Oliver and Fascination are(were) reg'd in my name, and I showed them as my horses. Heck, other than a few dressage lessons, I did all the work too. Pippin will be the same way.

I also love to see youths showing their own horses, that they trained, maybe bought, and are definitely having fun with.

And on the note of showing others' horses, I've done that too--I showed a friend's gelding with my mare in tandem...I put just as much, if not more, work into him than her. So...that works too!
aktion033.gif

As someone who grew up in a family of six kids and whose father died when I was nine, I totally understand that many kids (and adults) cannot afford their own horses. I'm in no way suggesting that it's a bad thing to show others' horses...I just think it's an extra good thing when the kids do it all on their own, just as Jamie has done, as Breanna has done (although I have a difficult time thinking of Breanna as a youth when she's one of my mentors!), and so forth.

I know what a rewarding experience I've had training, conditioning and showing Mingus and now starting Pastorius, and how much we've bonded, and wish I had had the chance to do that back when I was a horse-crazy kid. Countryrose, if only I had known someone like you back then...

Well, I can see both sides of it.

Kids who do it all themselves have every right to be proud and also to move to my neighborhood so they could come help me in their spare time
smile2.gif

On the other hand, I think that it is awesome that some kids get the opportunity to show a higher caliber horse than they themselves may be able to have at this point in life
yes.gif

I'd love it if there was a youth who was interested in showing one of my horses
yahoo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Susanne,

First let me say THERE is an award out there already to reward these Youth as well as the Amateurs. It's listed on page 304 of your new 2005 ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Rulebook...

The ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Amateur and Youth Award of Excellence.

Please take the time to look this new program over and you will see it awards both the Youth and Amateurs on their accomplishments with THEIR animals.

I would also like to say something in regards to Youth showing other horses....When my daughter show'd as a youth from 1996 to 2002 (when she graduated from high school) she was very fortunate enough to be able to train our own horses and did very well winning at the top of her youth classes most of the time but to be able to be involved with several different trainers within our Registry that ASKED her to show horses from THEIR show string in the youth classes at the AMHR Nationals. What an honor when these trainers ARE watching OUR kids. They know who will go on someday to take their places.

What this teaches the kids: first, if that youth thinks they want to become trainers themselves someday...this allows that youth the opportunity to take in a horse that they have never laid hands on (and believe me most of those horses she handled she saw only at the show) and what it is like to handle something that was trained by someone else. What you have to remember no two people handle horses in the same way. That horse can respond quiet differently to the trainer verses the youth. Seen this happen with one particular horse my daughter drove in a youth class. Well she ended up winning that driving class and for the rest of the National show, that horse, which was driven by the trainer, never placed as high as it did in that youth class. The owner of that horse was so proud as it was the only win that horse obtained that year at Nationals and was won by a YOUTH.

After that my daughter was approached by several owners asking HER to handle their horses in the open classes. Well, since that time, she has gone on to open her training facility teaching both youth and adults how to handle their horses in halter and Showmanship. Last year she had 9 kids which she worked with all year and those nine kids all placed in the top ten of their classes at nationals. This year in reviewing the results of those youth classes. Her kids have once again done her proud.

So, don't be too harsh on those youth that do handle horses for trainers or others, as that youth just might be your child who is making you a proud parent while telling others of their accomplishments both in and out of the showring.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

Don't get me wrong here, I would love to let my daughter have her very own horse, but that just isn't possible. She helps me train the one horse we have right now and will be showing him very soon. I understand where all of you are coming from, but I think we should still give credit to those youths who work hard to help train the horse that they show even if it isn't their very own. On top of that, I think we should be proud of all of the youths who work hard to train and show just because they are the future of this business and they deserve to be recognized for their hard work and dedication to the industry.

Come on everyone...please read what I've written, not what you THINK I've said.

I think it's great for kids to be involved no matter what the basis, and as I wrote right up front, I'm not criticizing anyone...I just especially love seeing the home-grown make it to this level and win. Just a comment from my heart...how anyone could get "harsh" out of that, I sure don't know.

I like to see the youth train, show and own their own horses. We are not frowning on parents that send their kids to a handler/tariner.. But I think the kids learn more if it is done on their own.. of course with help. Jodi's grandpa says ... "We don't do her home work why would should we do her training and horse keeping..." "This is a old horseman quote" Grandpas got to love'em...
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

I MOVED THIS.... PLEASE NO FLAMES !

Here is my daughter Jodi and she is in need of many
pray.gif

My daughter( Jodi Hurley ) owns, trains, shows and care for her own horses. She owns AQHA, APHA and AMHR horses. She worked so hard all year to train her 30" blue roan pinto gelding (Tex). She has him in the top ten in over 5 classes. Youth country, roadster, model, liberity ect. She wanted to go to AMHR Nationals and show her gelding ( Serenity Acres Tux N Tails ) Jodi worked odd jobs, pull weeds, train ponies, clean houses ext all summer. She had enough money to go to nationals.... TILL... one day her AQHA rodeo horse "Kris" ( barrel , Pole bending and break away horse ) Was packing her hind leg. Kris couldn't put ANY weight on her leg. We rushed her to the vet ... after several x-rays... Kris had a fractured hind leg... Vet said she might have been kicked by another horse. The vet said she could be fixed but it would take over $2000. Jodi had saved $2100 for AMHR Nationals and for a ASPC Pony. With heavy heart she handed the $2100 to the vet to save her horse. We now have a bill of over $3000. She is selling her Weastern Pleasure horse( Tuck ) to pay the vet bill. Jodi watched all of her deams of going to AMHR Nationals go down the drainand to own a ASPC Pony. Jodi's horses come first, play last she always has been this way. Horses eat and are cared for befor she eats and ect. Every day she asked what classes would she be doing today if she went ot AMHR Nationals. Jodi is so heart broken . Her horse ( kris) still might not make it ! ! She is still at the vet. Jodi visits EVERY day which is 1hr drive one way. Kris is depressed with out Jodi and Jodi with out Kris. Here are few pictures of Jodi and her horses.....

Jodi wants to be a vet some day ! !

Kris and Jodi.... barrels...

Jodi1.jpg

Tex & Jodi roadster ... in Ogden Ut 05

Texjodiroadsterogden05-1.jpg

Tuck and Jodi.. Tuck is her Western Pleasure horse.. Grand Son to Zipo Pine Bar

Tuck is still in training... The picture was taken during a training day. Jodi doing the training...

tuck111.jpg

We are praying .....
pray.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif
for help.....

We suport youth that own/train and show their horses. I see how much Jodi has learned about goals and hard work.

Sorry for this book....We need a miracle ! !
please.gif
please.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif
pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
starminis, I am SO hoping that Kris pulls through...your daughter is a true horsewoman, and I have such respect for her maturity and humanity in the choices she has made. It's obvious that you are a great mother and have instilled great values in your daughter. Your family is an inspiration!

I enjoy watching the youth and also the beginning "oldsters" and their accomplishments. The dedication and love of their horses shows whether they get a blue ribbon or none.

And what a wonderful horsewoman young Jodi appears to be! she will make a great vet some day! Lavonne

raven of course has foxy who she loves and does everything minus clipping him herself (ok she does his belly since no one can see under there)

she also shows our other horses who we both work with and loves it her 7th with foxy this year at Nationals means more to her then any other ribbon for sure- however she does want to be a trainer/handler and loves to work with other horses as well. I am just as proud of her when she gets handed a horse out of a non kid home and can still manage to get that horse to set up and respect her even if she is small to them
wink.gif

but I will admit that when I saw her in liberty with foxy (who is not a liberty horse which is what makes him such a great youth horse) but when i saw her in liberty with her horse.. yes I am a boob i went in the corner near the in gate and cried sigh....

susanne

Im just like you. I get a kick out of seeing any kid show but especially one with their own horse that they have had to work with and train etc.

I have offerred several of our horses to youth to show at various shows. I hate seeing a kid standing ringside with that longing look in their eye and no horse to show. Heck ive got the horse there and whats one more class? I did offer one of our smaller show fillies to be shown by a tiny girl but the only thing i was admant on was that the girl had to come here and work with the horse and get to know her first. Well they never did come but i did make the offer!

Feather--maybe you should have asked the judges why you didnt place. sometimes we cant see outside ourselves to see what might have gone wrong. Just because a horse pivots doesnt guarantee it a placing but i agree it helps

Kay

[SIZE=14pt]Well Roy isnt registered in AMHR (and cant be sucks) but I do show him myself and own, train and clip!![/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back