national show pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racingfan72104

Reaction score
i have bought a National show pony yearling. Her sire is 27.50" mini her dam is 40" shetland. she recently measured 32.00" any thoughts on how big she will mature too.

paperwork is still pending

It is to bad National Show Ponies cannot be registered as Miniature horses if one parent is miniature and one parent is shetland and they are the respective height for their age group. I have a gorgeous NSP. His sire is a miniature, his dam is a shetland. He is about 37" now as a 2 year old so don't think he will grow much more.

i will get a friend to post photos for me as i don't know how. but you can see her photos so far on our website

www.haylominis.com

or go checkout our freinds horses on their websites as well

www.vinyardhillminis.com

www.maranathaminis.com

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a National Show Pony?

Hi Parmela:

The NSPR (National Show Pony Registry) is a new division of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR. It was created three years ago for those folks who were breeding their Shetlands to larger ponies to create a pony that a child could step up to before they moved onto a "big" horse.

When the BOD decided that there was a need then they set the parameters for this program....You can have one parent registered AMHR, ASPC, or ASPR. The other parent could be one of the following:

AMHR x ASPC, AMHR x ASPR, ASPC x ASPR, AMHR x ?, ASPC x ?, ASPR x ?. The question could be a registered horse, POA, Welsh, Hackney, etc. I was working with a registered Paint mare who was 14.2 and was breeding her to my Shetland stallion. The requirement of this program was that no NSPR could go over 14.2 in height. This IS NOT a breeding registry but a registry for performance only ponies.

Since some folks were breeding AMHR to Shetlands this gave them an avenue to put those off type (papered ponies) in a sister registry and not loose their idenity. It never was intended for the smaller horses but will have some anyway. If my registered Paint had her foal my foals registration would show her sire registration and her dam's registration. If only one parent registered and the other a grade pony, then you would have seen one side registered other listed as grade.

The ASPC Congress is where these ponies are to be shown, and any club that wanted to put NSPR classes into their show premiums they can. Most of these classes are Pony Hunter Hack, Pony Western Pleasure and Pony Pleasure Driving.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that Karen. Can you also add that to the other pony place in the Pony divsion section? If you dont' understand what I am asking PM me.

thanks!

Thanks Karen for the explaination
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back