NATIONAL QUESTION

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal & Deb Bryant

Reaction score
New and changed Draft Rules regarding ring procedures were approved at last years convention

and have been followed by all the shows this summer.

Why have they reverted to the "old" rules at this years National Show?

I was one of several on the commmittee that reviewed and re-worked these rules

and was surprised to see that they were not used at The Nationals.

I am not referring to the Judges placings just that they did not follow the correct ring procedures that were approved.

It does not seem fair to the exhibitors to change the rules at the National Show.

default_deadhorse2.gif

default_frusty.gif

Hal Bryant

We usually attend Nationals at Tulsa but did not this year.

Instead we exhibited at the pony Congress in Des Moines.

Since we could not be there in person - we watched all

three draft classes to see how the new rules worked out.

And yes, we will follow up with other rules committee members and

Directors about this. The idea behind the rules changes was to improve

our draft classes and that is definitely worth following up on.

Thanks for your input.

Hal and Deb... could you please elaborate? I haven't followed the rule changes but I do love watching that class. And you guys DEFINITELY put a top-notch hitch together... I have a lot of friends in the draft horse world and they go nuts when I share pictures of your hitch with them. They don't know they make scotch tops and hitch wagons that tiny!

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea - Thanks for your kind words.

Last Winter, 5 teamsters that have exhibited at The Nationals were contacted by the Rules Committee of the Registry

and asked us to come up with a set of rules for the Miniature Draft Classes.

After much discussion and e-mails among the committee members, we not only wanted a set of Rules but also Ring Procedures that would help promote our draft hitches.

It was our consensus to follow the large draft show rules with an attempt to possibly lure some of their exhibitors our way.

It was pointed out that our classes were taking too much time and we had too many different types of vehicles.

The final consensus was: Horses to be judged 60% on working together, manners, performance on the rail, maneuvers and backing.

40% on equipment, horses suitability and conformation.

Preference will be given to a four-wheeled, fifth wheel type wagon.

A wooden spoke wheeled cart is preferred for singles and tandems.

Ring Procedure is to include: Horses to be shown both ways of the ring at a working trot (reversing on the diagonal at the trot)

and a flat foot walk without undue restraint. The walk shall be kept to a minimum.

Multiple hitches will be asked to line up along the rail and perform their individual maneuvers: work a figure eight, walk up to the Judge (Call Judge),

swing gee and haw, back quietly and stand quietly.

When the last hitch has performed their maneuvers, entrants shall line up side by side for Judge(s) to mark their cards.

As for the classes I observed (without belittling exhibitors):

How can they judge 60% on the rail when some of the exhibitors didn't get to circle the arena completely before being asked to reverse and line up.

Also, the reverse was not done on the diagonal or at the trot.

The walk was not kept to a minimum (all teams look better at the trot).

Some of the vehicles had reaches as opposed to a fifth wheel. Therefore they could not perform the maneuvers (gee and haw) equally.

It was our hope and intention that with these new rules and procedures in place, that our Miniature Draft Classes would continue to improve -

for the Show, the Exhibitor and the Spectators. This can only happen if the Judges and Stewards follow the Rulebook.

I know for certain that the Chief Steward is very much aware of this error on the part of the judges. I don't know what will happen, but it has been identified and she is HOT!

Hal and Deb just wanted to say that I have loved you guys for a long time and have a lot of respect for you. I'm sorry this happened and I really hope that it gets all worked out. Best wishes for you always.

Hal and Deb just wanted to say that I have loved you guys for a long time and have a lot of respect for you. I'm sorry this happened and I really hope that it gets all worked out. Best wishes for you always.

Thanks Marty, We really enjoy what we do and just want to do all we can to help promote

not only the Miniature breed but hitch driving, too.

Hal,

What was passed at convention last year, was it in the 2011 supplement? If not made extraordinary, then that new rule will go into affect in 2012, thus the reason why you saw a difference. You have to remember ANY rule changed passed at convention, unless the board makes it extra ordinary (means it needs to be in NOW), then that new rule will go into affect the next show season on January 1st.

Karen

Hal,

What was passed at convention last year, was it in the 2011 supplement? If not made extraordinary, then that new rule will go into affect in 2012, thus the reason why you saw a difference. You have to remember ANY rule changed passed at convention, unless the board makes it extra ordinary (means it needs to be in NOW), then that new rule will go into affect the next show season on January 1st.

Karen

Karen - I'm sorry - I mis-spoke earlier.

The new rules were not approved at the Convention but rather at the

Spring Board of Directors Meeting and posted on the Registry web-site stating - "Delete from 2008 Rulebook and 2010 Supplement" -

the old rules and add the new rules.

We have said for years that any new rules and/or rule changes need to be in print and

available to all exhibitors before the beginning of each show year.

Latest posts

Back