nasty email l got??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
l opened an email this morning stating this person had a beautiful filly ready to be weaned and was looking for another weaner to put with her perfers a filly registered or not didn't matter as long as it was a filly do l have one...l wrote back saying l wouldn't sell a weaner for that purpose and good luck...they wrote back and said what kind of heartless B was l to judge for what purpose my filly would be used for...l couldn't believe this was for real so wrote back for them to go where the sun doesn't shine. Now l think l'm upset for the whole day not knowing if it was a joke or someone honest who really would be looking for a filly to wean with their's and then what do they do with the one they bought....
no.gif

Hmmmmmmmm...this is a toughie. I guess it would depend on how the email request for the filly were worded.

I have a single filly to wean this year and I can't tell you how many times I have contemplated either borrowing or buying her a companion BUT I haven't asked so I guess my answer is I'll tough it out.

If "I were buying" a weaniling filly companion for Missy I would surely keep it and love it but not everyone is nice and honest like that. You followed your gut. Your filly is safe and that is what counts. Don't fuss over the small bumps in life. Smile, it's fall and the minis are cute and fuzzy.

Hmm everyone has there own ideas but personally I had sold both of my babies which would have left me with the one i am retaining. I was looking for a companion filly for her to wean with and have to play with as lets face it the broodmares arent great playmates babysitters maybe but not playmates.

Turned out I didnt need to as I had a filly fracture her neck and she wont be sold and will be here and now cant be weaned so the other wont be weaned either for a while so they can still be companions..

I personally dont know that I would have issue with someone wanting a companion weanling or other horse for that matter but again that is just me.

On one of the boards--don't recall which one now, though it was just a couple days ago--there was someone advertising that they want a foal to be a companion to the one they have that is ready to wean. I wouldn't buy a foal just on that account, but some people don't want to wean one foal & have it be alone, so I'm sure the inquiry was for real.

some might be questionable what they'd do with the bought foal once the other was weaned & could go back out with other horses, but I sure hope that many would keep the other foal & give it a good home. Perhaps they'd be buying another foal anyway, but specifically want one now to keep their other foal company, and of course would want one of the same sex as the one they are weaning.

Doesn't necessarily make them a bad home, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with you not wanting to sell a foal for that purpose.

I think maybe the way the potential buyer worded it was unfortunate.

Since I am helping someone buy a 2nd mini-- as a companion to the one they are buying from me-- I immediately thought that it was perfectly okay for someone to look for a horse for that purpose. I would never imagine that someone would buy a companion and then abandon it afterwards... but maybe there are people that do this. It's just out of my realm of thought.

Under the circumstance you just described, I would have turned down the inquiry as well. Just seems silly that it turned ugly. (You have every right to decide where your own horses go!)

Last year we sold a weanling to a great lady (who happens to now visit the Forum) and she also bought another which wasn't old enough to be weaned yet. Because the first weanling was going to be by itself, we offered her a companion filly ON LOAN until her second baby was ready. I should add, that this was a local sale -- which makes things easier for arrangements like this to work.

Of course we had gotten to know our buyer, and everything went smoothly. She ended up getting very fond of her loaner filly, but at the same time knew the filly was not for sale so that was never an issue.

Sorry that you had to deal with such an awkward situation in the first place! The lady who contacted you really should have checked out her local area to possibley LEASE a youngster -- a yearling would have been best and NOT another weanling.

Just my 2 cents,

MA

The fact that she cares enough and compassionate to want a mate for her baby tells me everything about her I would need to know. Would be happy to accommodate.

On another note, our cat had one kitten this year, so we got her to adopt a week old kitten, so it would not be alone.

I sure wish I had another foal to wean Timmy with. That would be gobs of fun!
new_multi.gif
I love buying weaners to raise, but I can't at the moment.

I'm really sorry her come back to you was so rude!

l don't have a problem with people selling a weaner to someone else to use with theirs for that purpose BUT if l email back and tell them in one sentence l wouldn't sell for that purpose and good luck and their reply comes back what kind of heartless B???h was l to judge them for what purpose my filly would be used ... SORRY that tells me more then l want to know about whoever wrote that l feel l have that right to know what any horse from here is used for without being called names and saying l am judging them on one sentance.

I have found that most initial e-mails from potential buyers are typically "vaugue", and not giving all the important information, as the buyer is unsure about the seller. (Im assuming) So I allways give them the benifit of the doubt, with a little info, and ask them a little more about themselves or their intentions before making any decisions.. Most of the time they are very 'conciencous people" that are just tenitivly showing intrest, and waiting for a reply, or two, before going on with more of their intentions.. "Most" of my sales started out with "one line blunt questions".. before turning into more friendly in depth paragraphs, about things.. just my personal experience.....

I would have gotten upset also at her reply back to you.

She should have just said. Thank you for your time and dropped it and pressed on to fine what she wanted from some one else.

I wouldn't have even wasted my time emailing her back.
no.gif

I know its a hard thing to do when your upset. I have set on my hands plenty of times just to keep from emailing such people back.
laugh.gif

Just let it roll away and forget it!!
smile.gif
You'll feel so much better
yes.gif

Joyce

Even if she, the emailer, felt disappointed or offended by your reply there was no need for her to be so rude.

Sounds like you made a good decision, the emailer is obviously easily offended!!

Every owner has a right to say No Thanks that is not the type of situation I want for my foal.

I have to say good for you being so picky, clearly you have your horses best interests at heart.

Although I would think this would be a good reason to buy a filly, but my assumption would be that the two fillies would be raised and live together in a longterm situation. Perhaps I should not assume!
wink.gif

I see no problem in selling a weanling as a companion for another weanling............ Since we sell our horses as weanlings I would much rather my foals end up with another horse rather than alone......................... I would think that this person was going to keep the horse since they requested a filly which would have cost them more money than a colt. I feel if they wanted a temporary weaning companion, they would want to spend less money.

Latest posts

Back