Name something you grow really well in your vegie garden & whats the secret behind it ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Johnson

Reaction score
Hi All,

Whilst in the middle of a very cold winter in Australia , I am eagerly awaiting spring so I can plant out my vegie garden beds in seedlings.

Whats something you grow in your garden, that grows extremely well & Whats the secret behind it ? (if your willing to share)
default_smile.png

Ryan
default_thumbup.gif

Tomato plants + horsey poo = huge plants! LOL!

I'll post a picture of this seasons plants. They are the best yet!

Oh and pumpkins planted in an old pasture are fabulous
default_yes.gif
!

2014-07-01_20-43-44_294.jpg

2014-07-01_20-42-56_593.jpg

Did I mention that I don't do my veggies in an actual "garden". I use pots! I hate weeds and weeding like shorthorsemom. I just don't have the time or desire to weed. I did take Shari's idea and made a few stick trellis's for my cucumbers. I have never had an upward growing cucumber plant but so far so good and they are climbing right up
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had very good luck with onions, winning prizes at the Fair. This year, we had a late freeze and it stunted them. But I use raised beds which makes for excellent drainage, custom-mixed soil, and automatic drip for even watering. Every year I top dress the beds with my compost, which is chicken/horse/clippings. The onion variety I prefer is Texas Sweet (NOT the Texas Super Sweet).

What kind of onion varieties are available in Australia???

My herb garden does wonderful in a raised cedar bed (cedar keeps slugs away) with a tea made of cow and chicken manure. My mint bed grows like a weed in a dirt/sand mix as mint and lemon balm do best in poor soil (go figure). I plant my squash and melons in an old cement feed bunk which drains well so the stems and roots dont rot in loomy soil. I take the tractor bucket and scrape up a big scoop of peat mud from the cow pond and fluff it into the bunk before planting. Ive always dumped the mastitis milk we cant sell on to my pumpkins to make them grow huge. I use the rinse water from washing calf bottles (before soaping them up) to water the pumpkins too as it has milk in it.

Most everything we plant does really well in our main large garden, reasons, it is planted in the winter sacrifice paddock, lots of manure turned in, lime early in the spring. We also mix in egg shells epsom salts and fish around the corn..I'd have to say the best thing we grow is blue lake green beans, we get so many and when I'm done canning for the winter we give the rest away. People are already asking. Sometimes I get tired of canning and freezing, but then in the winter I'm so appreciative of our hard work. I just put up zuccinni in the feezer this morning, so we will hve bread all winter.

Artichokes are big, attractive plants that last a few years before you tear them out and replant. They don't need a lot of fussing.

We have a few different types. A lot of them are suited to the different climates across Australia. In a red onion, there is the Red shine & the Red emperor. White onion - Bianca & White Spanish. There is a "Table onion" which is a basic brown onion.

Last year I planted some strawberries in an old wheelbarrow. I also planted a few of the same variety in the ground. Whilst the wheelbarrow "Looked good" , the ones I planted in the ground had a lot more taste.

Great tips everyone- I will be using them this year
default_thumbup.gif

A whole raw egg, shell and all placed in the hole of your tomatoes plant, put the plant right on top of the egg and cover normally. Works great!

Latest posts

Back