Name...color....confusion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
Now I'm pretty competent on colors, note the use of the word competent rather than an expert.

I have a palomino mare that I've established carries silver as her 07 filly palomino filly's has turned into the lightest of silver buckskin.

Anyways her 09 baby comes along and I'm guessing he's a silver buckskin as well, just much darker.

playmate1.jpg

(was born a buttermilk buckskin color)

Well he got darker and darker and darker until tada, grullo.

mytic.jpg

This mare does not have a dorsal stripe, nor a hint of color in her mane or tail. Sire is as bay as bay could be, no silver (out of a bay sire and black dam) so he is easily discounted as carrying the dun factor. I also have seen this colts granddam, same palomino color but she is a solid, no shading on the legs, no dorsal, no points. The colt's grandsire was a black pinto we owned, no silver.

platinum1.gif

My question is could his dam (and grand dam) be a silver, palomino/dun? I always thought that even if they carried the dun gene on palomino it would be expressed by a dorsal and points but could the silver be masking (completely) those points? Or is he is silver something and not grullo? His dorsal currently is very apparent if that means anything.

I hate naming foals, I really suck at it but I thought I was so clever when I came up with the name Dun Mystified but would feel rather foolish to call him that and have him turn out to be a shade of silver black. (Would hate to lose my title of competent. lol)

Bliss5.jpg

This is my Dunalino!!!

There is often no way to tell from looking, honestly.

I have a silver bay mare (looks nearly palomino) and we are pretty sure she is also dun, but its hard to see her dun markings as they are silvery colored (and they don't show up well in pictures, but not too hard to see in person).

He looks almost identical to my silver grulla filly. She was born that exact creamy color and then shed out to be darker. I say your boy is silver grullo and that your mare is not only carrying the silver and cream genes, but also has dun.

Now I'm pretty competent on colors, note the use of the word competent rather than an expert.
I have a palomino mare that I've established carries silver as her 07 filly palomino filly's has turned into the lightest of silver buckskin.

Anyways her 09 baby comes along and I'm guessing he's a silver buckskin as well, just much darker.

playmate1.jpg

(was born a buttermilk buckskin color)

Well he got darker and darker and darker until tada, grullo.

mytic.jpg

This mare does not have a dorsal stripe, nor a hint of color in her mane or tail. Sire is as bay as bay could be, no silver (out of a bay sire and black dam) so he is easily discounted as carrying the dun factor. I also have seen this colts granddam, same palomino color but she is a solid, no shading on the legs, no dorsal, no points. The colt's grandsire was a black pinto we owned, no silver.

platinum1.gif

My question is could his dam (and grand dam) be a silver, palomino/dun? I always thought that even if they carried the dun gene on palomino it would be expressed by a dorsal and points but could the silver be masking (completely) those points? Or is he is silver something and not grullo? His dorsal currently is very apparent if that means anything.

I hate naming foals, I really suck at it but I thought I was so clever when I came up with the name Dun Mystified but would feel rather foolish to call him that and have him turn out to be a shade of silver black. (Would hate to lose my title of competent. lol)

I cant help with color, but how about Palette Mystified.

default_whistling.gif
A palette (pronounced /ˈpælɨt/) is: (1) a rigid, flat surface on which a painter arranges and mixes paints. A palette is usually made of wood, plastic, ceramic or other hard, inert, nonporous material, and can vary greatly in size and shape. The most commonly known type of painter's palette is made of thin wood board designed to be held in the artist's hand and rest on the artist's arm; (2) a selection of colors, as used in a specific art object or in a group of works comprising a visual style.

I wanted to have my four of my foals that were born this year tested for dun, (their sire is a test-confirmed dun) but it's $50 for each test!
default_sad.png
One is a buckskin, and the other three are palomino pintos. The owner of the sire says the buckskin is a dun, but the others are too light to tell. Hm, I wonder if UC Davis would give a group discount on the tests, four foals from one sire, lol!

Latest posts

Back