Nail test on mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have to laugh at this year's results... here was what was predicted...

Fillies for Nutmeg, Kitty and Duchess

Colts for Delite and Stardust.

It was all just the OPPOSITE. Only don't know about Kitty as I lost her and the foal during foaling- vet could not get the foal out at all.

So I guess I should check the mares for this next spring and see what it says.

Well I have to laugh at this year's results... here was what was predicted...

Fillies for Nutmeg, Kitty and Duchess

Colts for Delite and Stardust.

It was all just the OPPOSITE. Only don't know about Kitty as I lost her and the foal during foaling- vet could not get the foal out at all.

So I guess I should check the mares for this next spring and see what it says.
Sorry about your loss.

Some mares are consistently opposite of what you expect from the string test.

I've never done the string test, but I always enjoy reading the results. Sometimes it's incredibly accurate, and then there are those mares, who I think just "have it in" for us!!

Sorry about your loss this year. Just keep us posted on your upcoming little ones for spring. ~~Diane

What is this "nail test" and how does it work!?
Tie a nail/needle to a string and hover it over the womb area on the horse. It will either spin (filly) go back and fourth up the spine (colt) or not move (not pregnant)

Its just a bit of fun
default_smile.png

Tie a nail/needle to a string and hover it over the womb area on the horse. It will either spin (filly) go back and fourth up the spine (colt) or not move (not pregnant)

Its just a bit of fun
default_smile.png
Hahahaha! That cannot work LOL! Fun yes I can see that! How the heck do you hover it over the womb of a standing horse and do you swing it to make it move hahahaha

Hahahaha! That cannot work LOL! Fun yes I can see that! How the heck do you hover it over the womb of a standing horse and do you swing it to make it move hahahaha
You hold it over the spine roughly in the hip area. Just hold it, it's supposed to move on it's own if the horse is pregnant. I've seen it move without wind or me knowingly move it; but couldn't tell you how accurate it is. I've had it move over pregnant mares, not move over opens, and even vise versa, it's mostly just for fun, but some seem to have pretty good luck with it.

I tried again tonight.

Definite no on the two that were never exposed.

Filly for Tana

Colts for Bonny and Misty

Movement, but not clear on direction with Showy.

Colt for Baybe

And, now this time it says no for Tilly.

Back