mystery solved!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRUE PICK

Reaction score
hey everyone! My husband and I left this morning at 9:45 to take our grandson to soccer, at 10:50 neighbor called and said "when did your horse have her baby? " ahhhhh. rush home. sure enough. I am the proud owner of a SOLID sorrel filly. white on face. now how does that happen with a b/w paint daddy and palomino paint momma? I sure dont know. cute as can be of course. Hope to figure out how to post some pics. Her name is Annie. Grandson decided that his new baby sister should be called Annie, but her parents chose another name. So, since we grannies love to give in, her name is Annie. And to all those who are still watching and wondering, I will say; the ONLY thing different about this mare over the past month, has been that her rectum appeared to be VERY swollen Thurs. eve. I could not find any other sign that we were close. So I figured it was due to butt rubbing all day! NOT. She is pretty cute. Gotta get back to watching for poo.

Congrats! I knew when you said her bag went up and down that it wouldn't be long.

Shall I try to see if I can send you a different prize then?

. I am the proud owner of a SOLID sorrel filly. white on face. now how does that happen with a b/w paint daddy and palomino paint momma?
Very simply. The sire is heterozygous Black/Red and passed on the Red gene, not the Black. Dam is homozygous Red and heterozygous Cream. She had no choice but to pass on Red and did not pass on the Cream. Both parents are heterozygous for Pinto and neither passed on the Pinto gene (unless of course the foal is so minimally marked as to appear solid).

Congratulations on your new baby!

If it has not yet been mailed, I would love to donate it back to the game! I was trying to think of something to donate and now I have my answer. If it has been mailed, I will still donate it back, but for a different month.

Congrats! I knew when you said her bag went up and down that it wouldn't be long.

Shall I try to see if I can send you a different prize then?

Thanks for the explanation, but very simply to you is quite complicated to me. thanks.

Very simply. The sire is heterozygous Black/Red and passed on the Red gene, not the Black. Dam is homozygous Red and heterozygous Cream. She had no choice but to pass on Red and did not pass on the Cream. Both parents are heterozygous for Pinto and neither passed on the Pinto gene (unless of course the foal is so minimally marked as to appear solid).

Also wanted to add, for those of you who are wondering "what mystery?" This mare was bred to be due May 22. No baby. I have been watchine her ALL SUMMER because I felt she was preggo but wasnt sure. She was back out with Stallion late in summer last year, but I never again saw her show signs of heat, and obviously never saw her be bred. Also, a littel more on this morning, I saw her walk across field at 9:30, seemed normal, nothing strange. when we left, saw her behind barn again. No big deal. These mares are quite tricky! Must admit, hadnt done bag check this morning, but last eve, same as its been most of summer.

Congratulations , cant wait to see the pics !!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks for the explanation, but very simply to you is quite complicated to me. thanks.
I think you explained it very well except some people may not know what homozygous ( 2 copies of a gene) and heterozgous ( 1 copy of a gene) means

OK, I'll try again. Every horse has two genes for each color, pattern, dilute, modifyer, etc. Every horse will pass on one gene of the pair to its offspring. Black is dominant over Red so if a horse is heterozygous (1 Black and 1 Red gene) it will be visually Black, but can pass on the Red gene. A Red horse (Chestnut or Sorrel) is homozygous because Red is recessive and will not show if the horse has a Black gene. Palomino is Red with one Cream dilute gene and one non-Cream. Pinto (I'm assuming Tobiano Pinto in this case) is also dominant. A horse only has to have one of the pair to be a Pinto. Therefore, if neither the stallion or the mare pass on their Pinto gene from the pair, the foal will be solid.

So, neither your stallion or mare passed on their Pinto gene and the foal is Solid. The stallion passed on his Red gene and not his Black gene. The mare only had Red genes to pass on, so the foal is Red. The mare did not pass on the Cream gene so the foal is Red and not Palomino.
default_biggrin.png

All taken care of. I caught her before she mailed it.

I will mailing you a different prize.

OK, I'll try again. Every horse has two genes for each color, pattern, dilute, modifyer, etc. Every horse will pass on one gene of the pair to its offspring. Black is dominant over Red so if a horse is heterozygous (1 Black and 1 Red gene) it will be visually Black, but can pass on the Red gene. A Red horse (Chestnut or Sorrel) is homozygous because Red is recessive and will not show if the horse has a Black gene. Palomino is Red with one Cream dilute gene and one non-Cream. Pinto (I'm assuming Tobiano Pinto in this case) is also dominant. A horse only has to have one of the pair to be a Pinto. Therefore, if neither the stallion or the mare pass on their Pinto gene from the pair, the foal will be solid.

So, neither your stallion or mare passed on their Pinto gene and the foal is Solid. The stallion passed on his Red gene and not his Black gene. The mare only had Red genes to pass on, so the foal is Red. The mare did not pass on the Cream gene so the foal is Red and not Palomino.
default_biggrin.png
Sometimes we just need the classic biology charts from 9th grade to illustrate this
default_smile.png
I understand what you're saying perfectly, though, since I am a nut over the science of color, too. I really enjoy seeing what results I get and figuring out the likelihood of the combination. Even in people - one parent has black hair, the other has blond hair, and then 2 of their children end up with red hair. Of course, people have different modifying factors and a lot of "co-dominance" - but the black gene for hair is definitely dominant over the red gene.

ok, thank you again. I actually did get it, and get it again, but it baffles me how you all can memorize those things. hats off to you. If it werent for you all, most of us would be in the dark. I have an update (again!), at this moment I am going w/her being a palomino. pretty cool huh? I promise toi give posting pics a try tomorrow. lot's of company today since we have a new celebrity here. the under side of her her tail and edges are light, almost white?silver. I know that can change. her mane is the same color as her for now still. but her points, bottom of her legs, muzzle, and under side of belly are really light! not white, but light enough to make me think she will not stay this dark. right now she is the color of caramel. pretty exciting huh?

Sometimes we just need the classic biology charts from 9th grade to illustrate this
default_smile.png
I understand what you're saying perfectly, though, since I am a nut over the science of color, too. I really enjoy seeing what results I get and figuring out the likelihood of the combination. Even in people - one parent has black hair, the other has blond hair, and then 2 of their children end up with red hair. Of course, people have different modifying factors and a lot of "co-dominance" - but the black gene for hair is definitely dominant over the red gene.

Wow Congratulations, she obviously didn't read the book. Lol

I am so glad all went well and I can't wait for pics.

Renee

I am gonna take you up on that. tried everything and can't figure it out, so I am sending 2 pics to your email now. thanks.Oh, and congrats on your HANDSOME new fella

So exciting!!!! Congratulations
default_wub.png

Can't wait for the pictures!

If you need help posting the pics, send them to me and I'll be happy to post them for you! ([email protected])

default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back