Mysterious wound

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew! Glad you took care of him! Supposedly we do have rattlers around, but for some reason we've never seen them on our property. <knock on wood>.......We have garter snakes, bull snakes, and occasionally king snakes......all of which I do like having as they keep the pests at bay. When they are small they eat insects and when they get bigger they eat mice....
We don't mind any snakes except poisonous ones. My philosophy is, my animals are in my care and I have an obligation to protect them if I can. They can't run away or go to some other location. So we have zero tolerance for poisonous snakes, porcupines, feral dogs, and other assorted nuisance animals. No location is perfect; each has pros and cons. We think the pros of our area outweigh the cons--which includes rattlesnakes. We don't go out and hunt them, but if they come into our "space" they take the consequences.

Glad you got him, wish our snakes here were not poisonous. Hope Dapper Dan is feeling better
default_smile.png

Skin is sloughing and I hoped to get some of it off last night hydroing but it wasn't quite ready. He did it himself on a tree in the night. Today I put the fly sheet on him, as it doesn't need any more scraping.

I didn't put anything on the wound, as I wasn't sure what was appropriate. But now I'm wondering if I shouldn't put some silver spray, neosporin ointment, or some other product on the spot.

Any ideas or thoughts, please?

Dead skin pretty much sloughed off now. Still hydroing twice a day and he's wearing his fly sheet so he doesn't rub it any more. Some hair is growing back in the area but the fang wounds are now pretty raw looking. He's still licking up all his tucoprim and is doing fine. He's been on prebiotics for quite a while, and that worked out extra well because of the antibiotic.

I have both horses on prebiotics, mainly because of the hoof separation issue, but also because Dapper Dan is on Adequan for arthritis.

For the life of me I can't remember the name, but there is a human antibiotic ointment that also includes pain relief that may help on the bite marks. I've used it on myself and it also helps numb the itching when things are starting to heal. It may be polysporin?

For the life of me I can't remember the name, but there is a human antibiotic ointment that also includes pain relief that may help on the bite marks. I've used it on myself and it also helps numb the itching when things are starting to heal. It may be polysporin?
I just bought some... Neosporin with pain relief, I believe it's a triple anti-biotic.

I used it on Bliss's nose laceration.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the petting zoo at the Fair yesterday, DD's snake bite wound was a source of shock and awe. Snakebite! Yow! And many had snakebite stories to tell. One young girl of about 8 told how she had seen one in the yard and run into the house for a weapon. She killed it with one of those "sharp pointy things"; figured out she meant a poker. Another person told me their dog had been bitten so many times the venom no longer bothered him. A vet stopped to chat. He said the antivenom cost about $850 a dose so hardly anyone bothered to carry it. And he wasn't sure it did that much good anyway. Best thing was to treat the symptoms.

If you have an aloe plant break off a leaf and put the gel on the wound.I have used it many times for skin issues and it works great and is very soothing.Glad you got the culprit and your baby is doing better

Don't have an aloe plant. I bought some Vetericyn (sp?) today. I've used that before with good results. When I hydroed this morning there was a drop of blood on one fang mark, so it isn't healed as well as I thought. I think he rubbed it; I haven't left the fly sheet on at night lately.

Tattoo gel? Hmmm. Maybe a little out of my comfort zone if I had to buy some!

I have a horrible skin condition. And tattoo gel is the only thing that soothes! I swear by it for rashes, sunburns, scrapes that area large area but not deep, etc. it feels SO good. And it's gentle and promotes healing. Any drugstore should have jt

I was baby sitting a friend's TB mare years ago. Somehow she managed to get bit by a sidewinder on her hip! No, I don't know how a 16-17 hand horse was bitten on the hip, but she was. You could see the fang marks and I found the dead sidewinder in the road, incriminating crescent shaped squish mark.

Notified my friend then called the vet. We cold hosed the area many times a day, actually washed the bite twice a day. Then put mastitis cream in the whole. It's an antibiotic that comes in a tube (like worker) but has a thin tip so that you can just slip it in the hole and dispense the cream. She was on oral and injectable antibiotics as well. No sloughing of skin, just lots of heat, swelling and oozing.

She healed over and was fine. Funny thing, we had dispatched plenty of snakes in the years leading up to that and had never had a bite tilll I agreed to watch this horse while my friend moved.

I hate when things like happen when one is responsible. You certainly took good care of your friend's horse.

I had a farrier that used the mastitis with the tip applicator to medicate thrush.

Just when I think my horse's wound is healed I get a surprise. It's been fine for three days, but this morning the two little fang marks were red again. They just won't heal up. No swelling and the hair is all growing in. I'm using the Vetericyn on it. He is feeling fine.

Vet said there is some scar tissue that is causing him irritation. I asked if I should continue to hydro and he said it wouldn't do any good. I asked if I should fly sheet him so he does not rub the spot, but he said it wouldn't hurt for him to rub it. Just to keep an eye that he didn't rub too much. He said no need to do the Vetericyn.

Last night when I went out, he was all rough, like dried sweat. He was fine earlier. Vet said he probably had a mild colic attack and sweated. Oh dear. What next.

Took them in to get their feet trimmed and Rowdy had a gash above his hoof when he got out of the trailer. Something in the trailer, or Dapper Dan stepping on him? Also a scrape on the inside of his front leg. Trimmer wasn't concerned, but I don't like to see blood.

WAshed him off when we got home and put aluminum spray on it. Hope they can stay trouble free for a few hours now.

This hot, humid weather isn't helping anything, either.

I was telling my sister about the sweat and she said her Arabian did that also yesterday. Our humidity was killer high for some reason. Maybe he just got too hot. I saw them both laying flat out in the sun yesterday, instead of being in their shade. I did clip him in August, but he's already getting pretty furry again. I gave him a bath this morning; he was such a mess. I never saw any sign of discomfort, as in colic. He was feisty and ornery, his usual self, this morning.

He is on prebiotic. His supplement has a probiotic in it.

I think tomorrow, since it is supposed to be hot again, I'll confine them in a different place where they can't get into the sun at all.

Saturday we are supposed to get a break in the heat.

Not sure who/what was recommending Vetericyn for wound/snake-bite care? Really?

I do thank you all; I read my Vetericyn label and will not purchase this product again.

This stuff is 7 thousandths of a percent of some sort of bleach derivative (...not feeling the love to Google some whacky stuff, sorry.) And, don't forget to move the decimal point over 2 places for the percent.

I have used Vetericyn on Nicky (our boy with cataracts and the eye injury)... but honestly, as I think about it; I used it when I was lazy and didn't keep the fly masks on. I wonder whether just cleaning his eyes was the solution.

Not sure who/what was recommending Vetericyn for wound/snake-bite care? Really?

I do thank you all; I read my Vetericyn label and will not purchase this product again.

This stuff is 7 thousandths of a percent of some sort of bleach derivative (...not feeling the love to Google some whacky stuff, sorry.) And, don't forget to move the decimal point over 2 places for the percent.

I have used Vetericyn on Nicky (our boy with cataracts and the eye injury)... but honestly, as I think about it; I used it when I was lazy and didn't keep the fly masks on. I wonder whether just cleaning his eyes was the solution.
People swear by Vetricyn, but I find it hard to believe a bleach derivative can be such an all around product for wound cleaning; and since it is a bleach derivative, why is it so expensive? I've only bought one bottle ever, and it wasn't as useful as other products I've tried.

Latest posts

Back