Mysterious lameness in front right foot/hoof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure if you did a google search you could find lots of information on abcesses, asking your vet to use hoof testers, nerve blocks, radiographs, etc.

Are we allowed to reference our favorite websites, still? I sure hope so...

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/

These guys may be able to help out, too -

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG. Dazzler, I hope you got some ideas, since no one is offering *medical advice* Sorry, I'm having a hard time typing cause I'm laughing so hard I gotta pee.....
laugh.gif

new_shocked.gif

Once upon a time there were two farriers who owned a paint gelding. Hubby came

in one morning and said ol paint whacked his right front foot really hard on the

metal gatepost. Well, the horse is lame, on and off for a while then gets dead

lame. Wife thinks oh no broken coffin bone. Another farrier friend comes out to

help and can't figure it out either. Finally wife calls vet because the two guys just

can't decide what the problem is. Vet comes can't figure out what is causing the

lameness either. Wife INSISTS on x-rays. Horse has abcess waaay up high.

Husband then realizes horse whacked the left front foot on the post not the right.

The right front had that abcess brewing for quite a while. Husband slept in dog-

house after that. Linda B
wub.gif

My horses started with a slight limp and vet #1 squeezed, pinched , felt, poked/scraped with hoof knife and had no answer. Vet #2 (excellent equine vet) looked , felt, squeezed, x-rayed, topography scoped the whole horse and came up with the problem being a soft tissue damage in shoulder. Went home with medication. Limp got worse and the total shoulder muscle atrophied. It did not appear that horse was in pain and would run with the other horses with her awkward gait.

Subsequently ran across what appeared to be what happened since it mirrored my horses symptoms. A very little known problem called Sweeney, when the nerve endings in the shoulders are severely damaged. If known early, can possibly be fixed. In my instance, that morning my fence was down and a corner post broken. Assumed she had been kicked. Sweeney can also result from feet being caught (have page fence and it does happen) and we all know how a horse will struggle and throw itself to get loose, thereby causing severe damage to the nerve endings.

This was a more common problem in the old days when horses worked long, hard days with ILL FITTING collars, whereby they damaged all the nerve endings.

Another cause of lameness that few , if any, of todays vets will pick up on.

[SIZE=14pt]What is going on !![/SIZE]

my work computor has been down for 3 weeks + and I come back to this !!

Why is everyone having to talk through their Londonderry Air ?!!

I'll be be reading to catch up with how this all started.... how can a great help tool like the forum be taken to such extremes of liablity..... come on people bang your heads together. We have some great people on here....

I have grown up with people having issues about one thing or another..all my days.

get a life...stop the nit picking !

Latest posts

Back