My yearling is scared of velco.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
I have a rising yearling colt who has a "thing" about velcro being undone across his chest or neck.

He's absolutely fine with velcro belly bands.

I have stood off to the side and repeatingly done and undone velcro. He's OK with that.

But try and undo anything across his front or around his neck, he's up on his back feet trying to strike at it. Not me, the velcro!

I had thought about taping the sound and attaching the recorder to his neck rug and playing it in is stall so he can de sensitise himself without the association of me around.

Any other ideas??? This is in the "never had one do THIS before" basket for me.

It is a very irritating sound.

Crank up the radio while you're doing it and don't take all day.

Tried the radio thing - works OK at home but not at shows!

And also tried the two speeds. Yesterday he nearly put himself through the wall when I went fast.

He is from a very high strung line....but this is a tad annoying

How about playing the sound, then give a cookie. Sound, cookie, sound, cookie, sound, cookie? Maybe you can help him associate it with something pleasant as well and causing him to become used to the sound?

Good luck
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldnt imagine a radio helping, the sound will still be there and you would have to have that radio up very high to not hear the sound. Marty do you mean crank up the radio to drain out the sound of the velcro? Sounds more like a way to avoid the problem.

I have a filly that cannot even wear a blanket, she is a whole different kind of high strung ...a whole other level in fact. Found out last winter, after actually getting the blanket on her and her going into her stall, she jumped and did circles and flipped over, worked with her as much as i safely could but she just will not wear a blanket. She is a hot hot filly, and big like 43" Classic filly.

That is odd, that he just doesnt like the velcro sound in that one area. I would wonder if he is touchy about that area in general infront of his chest?

Frankly, I've never known any of our horses who didn't react to the sound of velcro.

Desensitizing is a good idea, and using treats as Jill suggested would probably help. Eventually they figure out that the sound is NOT going to "kill" them!

Jill - thanks for that, will certainly give it a go!

Leena - wow, yup you got a whole different issue there
default_biggrin.png
And my guy quite happy to have his chest and neck touched, scratched etc. That was my first thought.

And yes, they all react to start with and I can't say I like the sound either. Just never had one react so violently.

I wonder what horror stories his mummy told him while he was with her. Hmmmmmm
default_biggrin.png

I have a yearling that is doing the same thing right now, although I don't have him rear and strike. I just keep talking to him, and have some one else hold him while I do it if possible. If you don't make a big deal about it to him, (ie get too upset with him,) I think time and persistance will solve the problem.

Barb
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How about playing the sound, then give a cookie. Sound, cookie, sound, cookie, sound, cookie? Maybe you can help him associate it with something pleasant as well and causing him to become used to the sound?

Good luck
default_smile.png

EXACTLY what I would suggest, and take time don't rush it, lots of talking to him also.

I would consider getting a closed front blanket. It will need to go over his head, but that may not bother him nearly as much. I have all closed front blankets with straps that buckle. Velcro is too easy for them to get off--or so I have found.

I've had a couple, one colt in particular, who was terrified of velcro.....he got to where he would finally tolerate it - just repitition and praise - but I still had to pay attention putting blankets on/off or he would be on the other side of the stall in a heartbeat LOL.

Jan

Latest posts

Back