my version of clicker training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I've TRIED it first with AKC obedience dogs but could NOT get the hang of it, PLUS it required EQUIPMENT.

After reading Leias post on the Dusty Drag thread the light bulb came on for me.

This is my version of clicker training. (no equipment required)

Instead of the clicker I use one word EVERY TIME in the SAME TONE. GOOOOOD immediately followed by a good itch at that particular horses best itch spot. The itch puts them into na na land, relaxes them and gets them focused on the person doing the itching.

For those that don't want to carry a clicker or treats you might give this a try its a method that has worked for biggies and minis for me for over 30 years. My BEST trade secret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.
default_biggrin.png
Neither Amy nor I use any equipment, just a specific sound with our mouths. The only difference is the short sound marks the moment a little more clearly than a long, drawn-out word. Rewarding the horse at the moment they do something right is just good basic horse training!

I think of clicker training as almost a form of shorthand communication. You can get the exact same results without it, it just takes longer and is a little less clear for the horse. Both work.

Leia

Leia my word came from a German dressage rider that I watched warm up a horse.

When he said it it made me feel warm and fuzzy and he got the same reaction out of the 17 hand Trakehner he was riding.

GOOOOD with a german accent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of like trainer Bob Giles soothing the horses with a drawn-out "Yaaaaaah" in his lovely Maine accent. Too cool! *LOL*

Believe me, I use warm-fuzzy "Goooood's" and enthusiastic "atta-boy's!" when I'm training. I prefer not to click from the cart for one thing, so I use it a lot there.

Off for the CDE now.

Leia

"Clicker" training really isn't about the clicker. I'm glad you found an alternative marker that works for you and your horses.

Latest posts

Back