My Tracey is in heaven with Michael

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
TRACEY
AKC A Trace Of Class
2-11-98 - 3-9-07
I raised Tracey from a puppy. She arrived three weeks after we adopted Devin from the pound and they were raised together as brother and sister. Tracey dominated Devin and she loved to boss him around to prove that girls can be Alpha too, but they were best friends anyway. I used to wrap her up in a blanket and rock her in to sleep, until she hit about 40 lbs. That was one big baby. She was my constant companion, my best friend, my confidant, my protector. I called her “Racer†or “My Girlfriend.†I spent years training Tracey for a wide variety of things. For us, training was fun and easy, just a game, never work. That’s how German Shepherd dogs are.
At 18 months old, she won her first dog show, and won first place in two shows after that. At 2 years old, I began training her for Search & Rescue but she ended up just being my loyal pet.
Tracey was very protective of me. She always got between me and whoever I was talking to, until I told her “back off†She liked to show her fangs and snarl to intimidate, although she wouldn’t hurt a flea. But heaven help the person who got out of their vehicle here before I got there.
When I was in a bad accident confineing me to bed with several broken bones in a cast, Tracey was my lifeline. She’d bring me the phone, bring my slippers, an extra pillow, and let me lean on her to get up and down to the bathroom. I guess one day I asked her to bring me too many things. While I was sleeping, she decided to bring me everything in the house that wasn’t nailed down. The dirty laundry, towels, toilet paper, pillows off the couch, my shoes, my purse, my coat, you name it. You can imagine how I laughed when I woke up to see this huge pile of stuff on my bed. She must have worked for hours going back and forth with all of it.
Tracey worked in the family store with me forever, every day since she was a baby. She lay under my desk and surprised a lot of unsuspecting customers when she would emerge with a ball in her mouth, asking them to throw it for her in the showroom.
She knew that everyone that walked into the store was allowed to be there, and made all our customers her friend.
Everyone in town knew Tracey. She was in the local parades. She knew how to work the crowds for junk food too. She was a regular at every drive-thru window in Dunlap. At Subway, she got free meatballs. At McDonald’s she got free quarter pounders. At Hardee’s she got free pork chops. She dressed for every occasion you could imagine. She had her own dresser drawer in my room just for all her dresses, tee shirts, and bandanas. I’d open up the drawer and she would drag out what she wanted. She had a very large holiday wardrobe. When it came to Halloween, she had a costume every year and helped hand out treats to all the kids. At Thanksgiving, she wore a nice festive dress. For Christmas, the sky was the limit. She loved wearing anything red or green. Oh, and she had jewelry too. She always wore fun necklaces when we played dress up.
She slept on my bed half the time when I wasn’t looking and then she lied about it. When I saw my bedspread all wrinkled up I would say, “Tracey, have you been sleeping in my bed†and she would lie, by giving me that innocent face, like “who, me?â€
I never left home without her. She wouldn’t let me. She would re-arrange my furniture if I did. One time she knocked down our Christmas tree one year and lied about it. Even though she was covered in tinsel, she insisted it wasn’t her. She stood in front of her counterpart, Devin, the bad dog and barked as if to say “it was him.†One Thanksgiving she ate our turkey right off the table. But that wasn’t her either. Another time, she ate Jerry’s recliner, but she lied about that one too. She was very naughty as a puppy, but she never got hollered at, not even a finger spank. She knew when she was bad when I gave her “that look†and she punished herself by cowering in the corner until I said “that’s okâ€.
No matter where I went, she was a fixture in my truck. I never left home without her. She barked, and howled out of the truck window passing through town like a crazy lunatic because she was so happy to go for a ride. Tracey has been my shadow seems like forever. I can’t go from one room to the other without her right behind my every step. I haven’t gone to the bathroom alone in 9 years.
We liked to hike in the woods, watch Sci-Fi together on Saturdays. She loved Dr. Phil and when she heard his theme play on TV, she’d start barking to call me “he’s on, he’s onâ€. She did the same thing for the Ellen show. We had to stop watching Animal Vets because the sounds of the dogs whining upset her.
Tracey and I had a favorite tree that we liked to sit under together for some quiet time, reading a book or playing some music. Michael would come out there and say that we looked like we were worshipping each other. “Mom, you and that dog are acting gross,†he’d say. And I’d say, “hey, this is the closet thing I have to a daughter!†…….and I’d tell Tracey to go get ‘em and she would chase him and grab him in the butt, then, we’d laugh about it. Those were good times then, when things were right; like they were supposed to be forever.
Nearly two years ago Tracey was diagnosed with a problem in her spinal column, which would eventually render her paralyzed in her hindquarters. Then that turned into something more and that turned into four more problems. She was put on a very large amount of daily medications and shots. Monthly shots turned into weekly shots and they turned into shots twice a week. Tracey always bounced right back. She wasn’t in pain, because she had no idea that her hind end wasn’t working. She couldn’t feel it. But she did figure out that something was wrong.
Tracey could no longer play bally which is her favorite thing in the world, or fetch a stick. She could no longer go to the barn with me to help me with my chores by herding the horses out to their assigned fields. She knew what horses went in what field and put them there. She could no longer go for rides in our truck or play Queen of the hill on top of our hay stack. I couldn’t pick up her 97 pounds of dead weight to get her in the truck, no matter how many ramps I built. When I finally got her in the truck, she’d fall off the seat. I couldn’t use her seat belt either because then she couldn’t use her front legs to steady herself at all. There were no more Saturday night fun bubble baths in the tub. I couldn’t get her in, or out of it anymore.We’re not having fun anymore, and watching her was making me cry more and more each day as she struggled to walk around with her bally.
This week, Tracey became very depressed when I had to run an excessive amount of errands in town every day. I had to keep telling her “No Tracey, you can’t go†way too many times. She didn’t understand why I was driving off without her. She cried and whined each time I headed for the door alone and a couple of days ago she tried to chase me out the back door and fell and hurt herself. She looked up at me with sadness in those gorgeous amber eyes of hers, stuck on her back, unable to get up. For the very first time, I have seen my girl completely helpless and miserable, and me, feeling the same exact way.
It’s a beautiful bright spring like day. We should be outside in the warm sunshine, playing bally, and going for a nature hike to watch the wildflowers attempt to grow. Instead, we’ve gone to the vet for the last time, still barking and howling out the window all the way. It is just too heartbreaking to see my girlfriend deteriorate like this before my eyes. Rather than letting this drag on any longer, and allow it to become worse, I want her to go to heaven with dignity. She can chase after Michael again and knock him down, bite him in the butt again, and tug at his pants. He’ll be so happy to have her. She’ll pounce on him and nip his feet which was their favorite game together.
I don’t know how much a person is supposed to handle in a lifetime but I give up. I just give up and quit. I suppose it’s not possible to die from a broken heart, because if it were, I’d be long gone already.

Jerry’s dog Devin has cancer, but amazingly, he feels fine.

Godspeed my beautiful Tracey. Go get Michael now.

Traceycollage.jpg

traceyhallo.jpg

newxmasmartytracy.jpg

Oh Marty!!! I am so, so sorry! She was a beautiful dog! I am absolutely crying for you. At least you have the comfort that she has Michael with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
:no: So sorry Marty. I know you knew this day would come eventually. I'm glad she stayed with you as long as she did. I'm sure she was a comfort this last year.

(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

Marty, this is so sad. I'm so very sorry for you and your terrible losses in the last two years. It does seem like too much to bear. I wish there was something I could do for you, to help ease the pain... <<<HUGS>>> to you and Jerry too as I'm sure it's extremely hard for him to see you in such heartache.

Oh Marty, I am sitting here in tears. I am so so sorry.

Marty, I am having trouble seeing to type this because I am crying, so, so sorry that you had to lose your beautiful Tracey. The only consolation is she will be with Michael and able to run and play bally again. Hugs and prayers coming your way
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

Marty, sweetheart, I am so very, very sorry.

I know- far too many of us know- exactly what you have been through and what you are going through now.

God Speed, little Tracey- your mommy loved you so much.

Have fun and don't get Michael in trouble, now.

[SIZE=14pt]Marty, i am so sorry that Tracey is not with you anymore. there are no words but know i think of you and your family often. Nikki [/SIZE]

Oh Marty I am so sorry to hear about your Tracey... but I know Michael was there to welcome her.
default_yes.gif
:

Quick story...my grandpa, "Gig" (I couldn't say "Grandpa" when I was little so I called him "Gig Gee" and it was shortened to "Gig") always wanted a dog but my grandma never wanted a dog. He wanted a "coach dog" - a Dalmatian.

I was given a yellow Labrador Retriever pup as a wedding gift three days before Tim and I got married. He was "Sparky McGraw" and he was an awesome dog for 14 years. When I was living in CT, Gig loved my Sparky dog and gave him lots of treats until Gig passed away on Easter morning in March of 1989. Sparky accompanied us through the birth of our sons and a move to upstate NY. Over the years, I knew he was slowing down but a strange thing happened to me in June of 2002.

I saw a glimpse of a man feeding my horses and he was wearing golf knickers, golf shoes and a bright golf shirt and sweater (Gig was an assistant golf pro and he ALWAYS snuck treats to my first mare, Courageous, and when I came to the barn empty handed, Courageous would nip me to show her displeasure. Like Mercy, she was all about the food.). No one was there but I knew it was Gig.

I knew exactly who it was, even though Gig passed away in 1989, a year after he walked me down the aisle and danced with me as the "grandfather of the bride". It was a flashing glimpse but some things you just feel and you just "know".

Sparky passed away a day later and I know and feel in my heart that Gig came around to let me know he would guide Sparky over the Bridge. Two days later I caught a glimpse of both together of near my pond...and then never saw them again... the message that they were together in an afterlife was clear to me.

Other animals have passed from here such as my Basset Emily, my cats Ashley and Otis and my Belgian Liberty and my beloved Courageous but I know that Gig is making sure they have lots of treats and will be there for me when my day comes, just as I am sure Michael is welcoming Tracey with a big hug and pats...and Tracey is kissing his face.

{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Marty, I am so sorry about your losing Tracey. I know she was your heart dog..

What a wonderful life you had together!!! You and Tracey had an amazing relationship!!!!

God bless you for seeing that she needed to be freed from her difficulties.

It's true; there simply are no words...Marty, my heart aches for you. I have been through painful losses, but not like you have-so much aching loss in such a short span of time - it seems so unjust-but, it seems that it is just not for us to know, why these things happen as they do. Please, try to take comfort in the sure knowledge that Michael and Tracey are together again, doing all the things you described. Cherish the wonderful memories; they are the great and dear heritage left by our loved ones who preceed us. You still have your beloved husband, son Dan--and even, the other animals who have their place in your heart; let them also be your comfort and strength.

You are in my heart and prayerful thoughts,

Margo

Oh Marty!! My heart is breaking for you. I am sooooo very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Tracy. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I hope you can find comfort in the fact that you did what was best for her and she knows that and loves you for it. Also, she is running happily with Michael now, what a joyful reunion that must have been. God Speed sweet Tracy!

Tammie~

oh Marty
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
: my heart breaks for you... the ones left behind are the ones who have it hard. i know Tracey and Michael are enjoying being together again! and you know he will take good care of her for you, and vice versa! but big {{{{{hugs}}}}} to you as you deal with this loss! tell those two men of yours to give you lots of "real" hugs for all the cyber hugs sent your way.

how lucky you were to have Tracey for so long and all the wonderful things you got to do together!!

Marty, my dear friend..I am so sorry ot hear about Tracey, I am sitting here crying right along with everyone else. You just remember Michael and Tracey are never very far, and are now together, and the memories you have are beautiful ones. There are never no easy words to say when we lose a companion as loyal as our dogs are to us. (((HUGS))) Corinne

Hi Marty. I know you feel.....

She is with Michael now.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back