my surrounding area out of gas.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
My husband called this morning to tell me that the stations he passed in Birmingham Alabama were out of gas and that when you are able to find it people are having to pay 3$'s a gallon for the cheap stuff. A co-worker with a relative in GA said their gas was 6$'s a gallon for the cheap grade
new_shocked.gif

What are the gas prices in your area?

The gas prices are causing a snowball effect, everything is going up because of it. If the government doesnt stop rasing the prices on the american public they are going to push us into a depression, its hard enough for the average joe to make it anyway without the government bleeding us dry.

I may be wrong but dont they own the printing plates, if they need more money why dont they print it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as far as the oil issue goes dont even get me started!

Just had to vent.

My advice is do not buy gas unless you absolutly need it. One of the things causeing this temporary shortage is people hearing there is going to be a shortage and fill up every vehical and every jug they own. Buy just what you need and within a few days things will back to near normal (except of course for the price.) Conserve where possible and leave some for the next guy.

Geese I fully agree I have said it on another thread but one pipeline that was closed well according to CNN will be up and running by midnight tonight which will help alot with gas availability in the South East maybe not with prices but it will be there to be had once the panic slows down

I agree, Geese. People are panicking. The problem initially was in distribution for the Southern and some Eastern states because most of the gas usually was distributed from the Gulf States.

Things may ease up soon as the Energy Commissioner just announced last night that they are lifting (temporarily) any distribution restrictions usually made to different states.

We'll see what this does.....

MA

$3.69/gallon here in central Michigan for reqular unleaded. I have a 48 mile drive one way to work and hubby has a 32 mile drive one way...we both drive cars to work, me a Kia and hubby an Alero, they are just OK on gas, not great, but better than the truck.

I don't think it's quite as simple as the government printing more money when they need it - they have to have reserves to back up what they print.
smile.gif

My understanding is that the oil companies - at least before Katrina - have been making record profits as prices continued to rise. I think some of our outrage needs to be aimed at them. I know they are going to be strained as well now with the gulf production out of commission for awhile, but I hate to see them take advantage of the situation.

Gas is still available in our area although the price is climbing daily. I filled up yesterday morning at the last station around who had not changed their prices and felt like I got a bargain at $2.44! Haven't been out today, but everywhere else yesterday was between $2.54 and $2.70. I'm sure it's more today. I know it must be terribly frustrating in the hurricane states to have gas shortages on top of everything else, but I imagine the truckers like everyone else are having a hard time making their deliveries. It's going to take patience from all of us - and I'm afraid it's going to require a lifestyle change for many.

Jan

I went over to Jacksonville, near tyler area, this morning to buy groceries, (might I mention, I feel a little guilty considering so many are hungry right now) and paid $2.84 for the cheap gas.

My hubby is in Parachute Colorado and paid $3.41 for 85 octane.

I find it amazing that gas prices are so ridiculous, as my hubby just finished drilling the 15th gas well in Colorado, all within a 2 mile radius.

I agree wildoak. It is not the government that is dictating the price. It is the oil companies that are charging outragous fees and are making record profits for some time now. I think that the only thing the government should do is mandate that the states and federal government drop all taxes and surcharges on the cost of purchasing gas at this time and the government should start to regulate the companies that are here so that their is some control over the costs at this time. I am not saying that all these changes should be permanent, but the general US population is now panicking and I tell you, I am cutting spending as I just don't have the money to buy frivolous things like Starbucks coffee. Yep... I am thinking that there are some hard times coming for a while.

I filled up today at Fred Myers in Scappoose (Spelling??) think if I remember correctly it was 2.76 with the 3Cents off gas card.

Another station was asking for 2.89, so compared with other areas of the country, it is not as bad yet.

Was going to Enroll my almost 16 year old in some collage classes, but right now, because of the gas prices we will have to hold off until spring. Sigh ~ ~

I do not drive much, but having to pay the high prices is sure eating into our budget... from the gas itself, to the products that keep going up in price.
wacko.gif

Glad my hubby can commute on his motorcycle which gets 50 mpg! Until it starts getting ice around here anyway.

Gas here was 2.85 for the cheap stuff, but at lunch it had jumped to 2.99 and whats up with diesel its made of trash???? They had a guy here in Colorado showing how to make your own and how easy it is to make.

Yesterday the cheap stuff here in Northeast Arkansas (about 30 minutes south of Poplar Bluff, MO.) was 2.65 a gallon, then today when I went through they raised it up to 3.19 a gallon !!!
new_shocked.gif

I filled up day before yesterday at 2.45 a gallon across the state line but with my SUV only getting 13.9 mpg it goes really fast when I run about 150 miles a day.

Definitely a ripple affect happening all over the country......

And I agree that the oil companies are behind a lot of this. There is NO reason that because one refinery and distribution center has been closed down because of Katrina it should affect all of the others! Sure the others have to pick up the slack, but that's the cost of business for crying out loud!

I just drove through one of the two towns we use for our shopping and compared gas prices before deciding where to stop. All but one was $3.19 for desiel and $2.99 for regular unleaded. The one I fueled up at was $3.15 diesel and $2.89 for regular unleaded........AND I EXPERIENCED MY FIRST GAS LINE SINCE THE 1970's !!!
ohmy.gif

The poor gas attendents were having to direct the lines so people wouldn't jump in at odd angles and block folks in who were already at the pump. Things aren't desperate here yet, so it was a little scarey -- makes me wonder how people are going to behave if things DO get desperate.

MA

Seems to be pretty consistent all over the nation that the gas has gone up to between $3.00 and $3.50. ANYONE CHARGING DOUBLE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE FOR GAS IS PRICE GOUGING & SHOULD BE REPORTED!!!!!
new_let_it_all_out.gif
They even made that comment on the news tonight....price gouging will not be tolerated!!!!
nono.gif

It is not just Katrina driving up the price of gas. It was slowly going up before.

Talked to a few people that are in the business... and some of it has to do to.... that we are no longer the biggest buyer of Crude oil in the World. One of the reasons gas was so cheap in the USA is because of this.

However, China is now the new up and coming Country, and they are buying more Crude Oil than we are.

Granted Katrina didn't help matters much. But I do not see gas prices getting better any time soon.

Yesterday gas was 2.29 today I paid $3.49!!

Same tank of gas that was in the ground before Katrina,but now its seems to suddenly become liquid gold!!!

I am disgusted with the politicians coming on T.V. ans saying we feel your pain to those poor people down south and telling them to be patient.

Okay Mr President starting right now you get no food and water and of course your family as well and lets see, maybe come Monday i will tell you to be patient and of course I feel your pain.

Lets see A BILLION DOLLARS A WEEK FOR THE WAR and zip for Katrinas victims.

Oh now another one is in an air conditioned studio belly full clean clothes and hes saying how much better things WILL get okay I can't watch anymore. Sorry off topic.

Lets see A BILLION DOLLARS A WEEK FOR THE WAR and zip for Katrinas victims
Yep, it's time for the Iraqis to start running their country again and time for us to start coming home. Would be nice too to see these countries around the world that we have helped financially to step forward.

Jan

It's all so upsetting. Hurricane victims, gas and everything else.

I don't see how families with minimum wage jobs are going to make it.

I remember sitting in those gas lines with my mom in the 1970's, it was no big deal then, but we have all become so accustomed to our lifestyles, that I can only imagine what it is like for the folks NOT SO FAR from me that don't even have the bare minimums. People are in a panic, myself included. Well, not a panic, but it was NOT easy to pay the hay man for my 40 round bales this evening.

Kept thinking, well, if worst comes to worst, at least the horses will eat, and how much gas will that buy, and if this keeps on, how will I pay for our son's surgery.

But right when I think I am having a meltdown, the wife of my hay man calls and says she will come help me move hay tomorrow. (Our tractor won't start and the hubby is gone)

I'm praying for all of us and the situation here in the South. There is light at the end of all this devestation. May it be slow or fast coming, the sun will shine again.

I think your advice not to buy gas unless you absolutely need it is great advice and hope people will understand that the gas is needed right now just to get goods transported across the country which people need. I do doubt that we will see price go down for a long time now because there aren't enough refineries producing gasoline to fill the needs. I do hope people conserve and save some for those who really need it...such as supplying all the goods needed. Mary

justaboutgeese said:
My advice is do not buy gas unless you absolutly need it.  One of the things causeing this temporary shortage is people hearing there is going to be a shortage and fill up every vehical and every jug they own.  Buy just what you need and within a few days things will back to near normal (except of course for the price.) Conserve where possible and leave some for the next guy.
459450[/snapback]

wildoak said:
Yep, it's time for the Iraqis to start running their country again and time for us to start coming home.  Would be nice too to see these countries around the world that we have helped financially to step forward.

Jan

459822[/snapback]

I sure agree with that statement but have yet to see others jumping in to offer there help makes you wonder.....

ALTHOUGH I will say again every news report I have heard says that shortages wont be a long term issue really not much of a short term issue either (as in ok again in a day or 2) but yes the price will stay up and buying or not buying isnt going to change that for sure
wacko.gif

Lifestyle changes for sure. Of course the rich will always have the money to pay for the gas but the middle class will probably be the ones to pay for it the most. So many Americans have gotten so used to going whenever the notion struck but it will become unaffordable for many. Higher gas prices will mean higher than ever food prices, clothing prices and most everything else we buy because much of it has to be trucked in. It will mean higher than ever hay prices, grain prices etc. because the farmer is going to be paying more and more for gas. It will cost more to build a barn for our horses, well....it can go on and on. We haven't been on a vacation for years and was planning one for October but we are forfeiting it to help conserve. The money it would take for gas can be used better for the people who are in such need in the South. Mary

wildoak said:
.  It's going to take patience from all of us - and I'm afraid it's going to require a lifestyle change for many.Jan

459468[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back