my stallion sorrel or chestnut

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
He was registered as a sorrel pinto when born but l've been told by some thats wrong he's a chestnut not sorrel l'm putting him into the R shortly and would like to know the correct color to put down for him...

may12014.jpg

Really, there is no difference between the colors sorrel and chestnut. It's often a breed thing, or a discipline thing....QH owners and western type horse owners tend to use sorrel, owners of--for instance--Morgans, almost always use chestnut.

I have 3 horses much the same color as yours and I registered all as chestnut. The last one, an '07 foal that of course needed photos on his AMHR papers, I half expected to have the registry people change his color to sorrel, but they didn't they left him as chestnut, just like I wrote down. (I don't "do" sorrel--they are all chestnuts!)

Thankyou l didn't know that...don't know why some people are so sticky on those two colors.
default_biggrin.png

Today in many breeds the terms are interchanged. Sorrel used to mean shades of red body with mane and tail lighter colored than the body. Chestnut was also a red body but the mane and tail were the same color as the body.

Sorrel and chestnut are the same thing. "Sorrel" is used in Western circles, whereas "Chestnut" is used in more English circles -you won't hear an English trained rider refer to a chestnut as a sorrel...and vice versa -you won't hear a lot of Western riders refer to sorrel as chestnut-.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorrel and chestnut are the same thing genetically but around here people call the redder body colours sorrel and the darker browner reds are called chestnut. I think that which term is used is sometimes a locality thing too. BTW doesn't matter what colour you say he is he is quite lovely .
default_smile.png

I'm a western person... and I hate the sound of "chestnut" I love to call 'em sorrels.
default_smile.png

Everyone in my area seems to think theres a huge difference between the two, it drives me nuts!
default_wacko.png

Today in many breeds the terms are interchanged. Sorrel used to mean shades of red body with mane and tail lighter colored than the body. Chestnut was also a red body but the mane and tail were the same color as the body.

That is how I was taught as well, years ago by an old (93year old) Calvary soldier who owned and taught at a large academy in Michigan!

Sorrel - Red with lighter mane and tail than body

Chestnut - Red with mane and tail same color red as body

So My 2 cents worth... he is Sorrel :0)

Joy

Sorrel - Red with lighter mane and tail than body

Chestnut - Red with mane and tail same color red as body

So My 2 cents worth... he is Sorrel :0)

Joy
That's pretty much how I learned the "difference". I used to own a Chestnut AQHA mare and her son is a sorrel. The mare was rather dark with dark mane and tail; he's somewhat pale with nearly flaxen mane and tail.

I grew up with Arabs so always called it "chestnut" or a "flaxen chestnut" if the horse had a lighter mane and tail, but somehow with Kody "sorrel" just seemed to fit better.
default_wink.png
I use it more as a shorthand description for his phenotypical color than to indicate his genetics. If I'm talking formal color I would call him a chestnut.

Leia

Latest posts

Back