My stallion is in trouble!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
I am not breeding any mares this year, and my stud Beamer is not happy!! He has bred a couple of outside mares. Anyways I have 3 mares in heat right now and he is going crazy!
default_wacko.png
Well this morning he got out and we chased him for a half hour, could not figure out how he did it. So then this afternoon we had friends over and one of the kids watched him start running and jump over our 4 foot fence!!
default_new_shocked.gif
So I at least I know how he got out, he is now in with our goats in a 6 ft fence!! There are 3 pastures seperating him from our mares!! I am ready to ring his neck!!

Has anyone had a mini jump a 4 foot fence before? I think I need to start showing him in jumping
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png

Well, you know a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
default_rolleyes.gif

Sounds like he's going to be tough to contain!

I think you are RIGHT! Give him something to do! (Like jumping!) He needs to work off his excess energy since he's not being used as a breeding stallion.

If you have ANY other horses (perhaps a gelding that he gets along with?) to keep him company that may help.

Does he pull a cart?

Maybe put Vicks around his nostrils so he can't smell the mares.

My gelding can jump four foot with s spread in the middle of the jump. I don't do it often or a full course of jumps that high but he doesn't have a problem doing it. He loves jumping and driving.

Amanda

Please pay close attention to him after putting him in with your goats. If he is feeling that aggressive he may kill them. No joke. I had a stallion one time that would kill anything that entered his pasture. Just an FYI.

The sire of some of my horses can clear a cattle panel. I don't even want to THINK too hard about this subject. And, I will not be showing my stallions this thread
default_laugh.png

Please pay close attention to him after putting him in with your goats. If he is feeling that aggressive he may kill them. No joke. I had a stallion one time that would kill anything that entered his pasture. Just an FYI.
I just want to second that. I have a friend who just delt with that same situation a few days ago. One stallion jumped a 6ft cattle pannel to get to the other stallion, who is living with goats. The stallion is killing goats all of a sudden, my friend cought him take one by his teeth and throw it.

Can you lease your stallion to someone that IS breeding this year ??

Sounds to me like someone will get hurt. I hate to think of your stallion if he does not clear the fence.

Thought I would add one more helpful hint here. If you can keep your stallion in his stall while the girls are out and then when you bring the girls in let him out. That seemed to work for me. That way there is a whole lot less stress and worry. I sure wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt.

Beamer has been in with the goats before, so he is used to them. Plus he was in a pasture with a jack and a 2 yr old QH that has grown up with him. So he was not by himself!! He is definately needing something to focus on!! I have a friend that wants me to start driving so I guess Beamer will be getting into some new lessons!!
default_biggrin.png
I also think I will try the vicks, that may help him settle down!!

Boys they are definately a handful!!

Hormones can drive lots of silly behavior in all kinds of animals LOL. I have a new stallion here who is challenging me too - he's knocked panels from the round pen down to get IN with a mare, put him in and turned her out then he knocked them down to get OUT. He's now banished to another not so cozy round pen away from mares, poor boy.

You might consider hot wire on your fence - he of course could still jump it, but if it was brought to his attention in a shocking way
default_new_shocked.gif
he might decide to stay completely away. Or not, given the hormones.........

Jan

One of our lads can clear a 5 ft. fence even when he has mares of his own in his pasture. I've not seem him do it. I don't know if he makes a running start, flatfoots it like a mule, or whether he climbs over it. He just appears in the next pasture. He's done that a number of times. Once, part of the fence was bent.

We had to add an additional bar rail at 6' for his pasture. That has kept him inside.

Funny, but NOT funny!
default_wacko.png
We have a 2 yr old MARE who is the talented jumper. Zoey stands now at about 32.5-33" and has cleared her 4 foot paddock fence TWICE. Her paddock is a dry lot, due to one of her companions being a very easy keeper -- she decided the green pasture nearby was much more appealing.
default_laugh.png
I think a strand of electric at the top may deter your boy from repeating his jumping performance. This is our little athlete, Zoey.

Zoey2_June_2008-346x263.jpg

Err.. Romeo, even though he is a gelding, prefers to take a different route.. UNDER the fence. He is in a dry lot/run, and most of the other horses are on green grass pretty much a foot from the fence. His fenceline was cattle panels. Somehow, the little squirt figured out he could lay down and scoot himself under the fence to the irresisitible green grass. Well, I guess he is smarter than I originally thought.
default_rolleyes.gif

This isn't Romeo(he is the horse in my avatar), but you can see the panels in the background! He was able to squeeze under that last bar.
default_new_shocked.gif

Angel0112.jpg

Needless to say he is now in a different run farther away from grass, and his fence is "scoot-proof"..
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=8pt]Oh I know how you feel!! Im really to GELD mine... He keeps getting out and was in with the mares the other day... I will have to Lutalyse one mare cause I dont want any babies next year. I finally had to put him back in the electric fence. He is minding his manners now. Wont go near the fence....[/SIZE]

April

Latest posts

Back