My soon-to-be gelding!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
I am going to geld my beautiful boy, ESPRIT!!! My heart just isn't into the breeding side of things. I love the babies (LOVE THEM!!!), but I am the worst seller in the world. It just tears me up to sell an animal. Too hard on me! So I am going to geld my boys, and enjoy the ones I have plus the two foals I am expecting in 2009. Esprit's appointment is on September 6.
default_ohnoes.jpg

So look out world, Esprit will be stepping out next year into the gelding ring! Plus driving, hunter, all-around! He is going to be my big-time SHOWBOY! I am very excited about it, actually. I will be hardshipping him into AMHA as well, which will cost me far less with him as a gelding. He measured for his permanent measurement this weekend at 33". He was reserve champ sr. stallion under judge Kathy Shea. This year he has done very well in halter, can't wait to bring him out in the performance division.

My Esprit! With Syndi Kanzler at the Pacific Crown show.
default_wub.png

esprit_cindy.jpg

He is going to make you one KICK BUTT gelding!!!! If you're like me, you'll just enjoy and love him even more as a gelding (though I'm sure you love him all there is now -- he'll only be better).

Congratulations
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

No way... Seriously? Wow. Have you even seen what he can produce yet? I think this is the first time I've EVER thought a Miniature stallion soon-to-be gelding should be left intact.
default_wacko.png
There's no doubt he'll win as a gelding, but I think the breed will be losing a quality stallion.

Congratulations, I think its a great move. And I agree with Jill, he will be one tough to beat gelding. And he will be alot more fun for you. I also am not into the breeding that much and I have yet to find to many stallions that I couldn't geld. Actually if I don't sell our 2 year old stallion before next spring, he will be gelded too. Good luck with him in the future.

That is a LOVELY photo of him Amy!! I don't think I've seen that one before. He's a good-looking guy and I have to admit that of your three stallions he's probably the last one I'd be gelding. He's well-mannered like all your boys, already has other horses to run with and socialize with, and I'd LOVE to see that incredible hip of his passed on. I think he'd produce some spectacular babies with your other roan mares and fillies. On the other hand geldings are the world's best buddies and you've got a strong argument with that huge savings on hardshipping as a "ex-stallion." I know you were worried about keeping weight on him right now too and gelding will surely help that. In the end he is YOUR horse and I applaud you whichever way you go!
default_aktion033.gif
Just remember you can't glue them back on if you change your mind again.
default_wink.png

It was a pleasure to watch him show this last weekend. The steward was measuring all the horses pretty tall so I'm impressed Esprit sticked at 33". They got Kody as a solid 34", believe it or not!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

Yes,,,, that is not an easy decision. He is a beautiful guy. I got to be next to him in stallion classes. But we probably will be in gelding classes together next year!

He looks great!! And I don't believe there is a stallion out there too good to geld, they are all potential geldings to me! You have very sound reasons, so I say go for it!

Kudos on your decision to geld such a nice boy! Should make a great show gelding for you to have fun with.

Ohhh AMY!!! What a decision!!!

I have always LOVED Esprit...I'm another that will be sad to see Esprit lose his meatballs.

Best of luck for his surgery

Thanks so much for the encouragement and support! And compliments too, of course. I have a lot of his bloodline here at my farm, including a 3/4 sister who is every bit as nice. So that takes a little of the sting out of the decision. I guess my biggest deciding factor is just how much I love the little guy. He is one that I really want to be my best show buddy and pal, the one that "does it all and does it well." One of the great show geldings that people remember for years and years to come. I am 99% sure I am going to geld Sensation too. He needs to put on some masculine muscle and he is still such a baby I am going to hold off for a while. I don't think I will geld Alladdin...he is already puppy dog easy and sweet and lives with my young boys without any trouble. I could easily keep him with two geldings and not have any trouble. Esprit will be a happier boy when he can actually live with his buddies, and that makes me happy. :D

Congrats Amy! He is one of my fav. forum horses and I love updates on him. He will be a phenominal gelding!
default_smile.png

Angie

Woohoo!! You got to know what a gelding fan I am! Good luck Im sure you will have a blast and do well showing him.

I have Always loved Espirit. I think I like him best of all your boys, although, they are all very nice.

I am a huge gelding fan, but it saddens me to see THIS boy gelded.

I'm sure he'll do well for you. Best of luck. He's a beautiful horse.

What a kick-butt competitor he's going to make!! Definitely applaud your actions - it's hard to make that decision!

I can also appreciate how hard it is selling - having a long list of who should be sold, but probably never will for the myriad of reasons I have for them NOT leaving - lol!

Latest posts

Back