My Shetland pony mare bred to a miniature stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsimmers55

Reaction score
My 12 year old maiden bay tobiano Shetland mare is around 285 days pregnant and just now beginning to show. She is bred to my silver dapple miniature horse stallion. She is homozygus for tobiano, so foal will be tobiano. I will post a pic of miniature stallion 20220412_083923.jpgin comment.

There really isn't that much difference in their sizes, the foal should be born at a normal size for the mare and end up somewhere between 34 and 44 inches unless there are some genetic surprises. Normally if you have one parent much bigger than the other the rule is the mare dictates newborn foal size, if the mare is much bigger than the stud the foal can be a little smaller than her normal, if the stud is much bigger than the foal can be a little bigger. I could be wrong though, i've read up on it but I'm not a breeder. They are both very pretty and your foal is going to be adorable.

Kinda in the same situation.About to buy a pregnant shetland mare with the sire being a mini.I only own minis so this will be new to have a shetland.Ive always heard they have a little extra sass.Have you found that to be true?She doesn't look like she's showing yet much either and due in May.

Kinda in the same situation.About to buy a pregnant shetland mare with the sire being a mini.I only own minis so this will be new to have a shetland.Ive always heard they have a little extra sass.Have you found that to be true?She doesn't look like she's showing yet much either and due in May.
Thank you. I love the Shetland mares! This is my 4th one and probably the best one so far. They were all driving ponies and had spunk on the trails. Always wanting to trot. Sparrow is more laid back with a big walk, but will trot when asked. She has a great extended trot too.
I do recall that my other mares were bred by a 38 inch Shetland stud and they always had smaller foals like the studs smaller stature.
She could be due from May 27 to June 11.

My 12 year old maiden bay tobiano Shetland mare is around 285 days pregnant and just now beginning to show. She is bred to my silver dapple miniature horse stallion. She is homozygus for tobiano, so foal will be tobiano. I will post a pic of miniature stallion
She's a beauty. Is she giving birth in around 40 days? Exciting.

Sparrow is really looking pregnant now and udder is developing more. Due date is Monday June 6th if she took on first heat, if not then around June 27. Stallion was in pasture with her for several months. She was no longer interested in him by July though.

Attachments

• 20220604_152432.jpg
    20220604_152432.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220604_152536.jpg
    20220604_152536.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back