MY SHAMMY GIRL IS GONE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Today, I got a call, and now having gathered myself up, I will tell you that my Shammy girl is gone.

She died last Monday afternoon of colic impaction with the new owner(We delivered her just April 12th) Wendi holding her and and the vet at her side in her beautiful new pasture. Looks like it was colic impaction. She had shown no signs.

She has been buried under a large Lilac tree and they are erecting a cross for her which will be marked.

She was driven the day before and was fine. She had just turned 18 yrs old recently.I know she no longer belonged to me but I cry with tears one can only have for the loss of a dear friend who gave me wings when I became no longer able to walk well, and I felt like I was flying.

So Shammy (Alliman Joy's Color Me Shammy) is over the Rainbow Bridge now and she gave everything she had to whoever she could and deserves a Prayer to go along with her.

Thank You, Maxine

CarlnMaxine47anniv1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Maxine I'm so sorry about your Shammy. Remember heaven is a place we are all working to get TO, she just got there a little ahead of you but she'll be waiting.........

Take Care

Whit

oh, maxine! i'm SO sorry, what a terrible loss. she was absolutely stunning. even though she didn't live WITH you, she obviously lived in your heart. the new owners must be devastated.
default_sad.png

OH Maxinne what a terrible shock~! I just can't believe it~ I am sooooooo very sorry, so terrribly sorry. OMG I can't get over hearing this. Please tell Carl how sorry I am also.

Maxine, I am so sorry for you and for Shammy and her new owner. It is so hard to lose these wonderful little souls.
default_bye-sad.gif
Rest in Peace beautiful Shammy.
default_pray.gif

Oh, this just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry for your loss and her new owners'. Just from what I've seen of her here on the forum, I think it's safe to say that she did more for the world in her 18 years than many people do in a lifetime.

What a shock for you and the new owner! Terrible to find a horse dead after there are no signs for you to help save her.
default_crybaby.gif
Sorry this happened, but remember the nice life you gave her!

Oh NO Maxine!! It breaks my heart to hear this. I am crying with you!

I cant believe she is gone..

You just cry as much as you need, I know she held a special place in your heart...
default_wub.png

Missy

Maxine --

I am so very sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

Recently, I lost a sweet mare I'd owned for several years and she came from a friend of mine. It's hard especially to loose one when you know others love her, too (adds another layer of feeling responsible).

My heart goes out to you and to Wendi.

Jill

Oh Maxine Im so sorry I know how much Shammy meant to you and Im sure to her new owners as well. Run Free beautiful girl.

default_crybaby.gif
Thanks for the posts, I need them. I feel so guilty because we almost called to ask if we could stop by on our way home from Florida and would have been there Monday! I could have been with her depending on the time. But I was in a lot of pain and we drove on up to my sisters in lower Michigan so I could get out of the van.

She wasn't gone when they found her, just felt at her avanced age the stress of surgery would have been way too much and truthfuly I doubt she'd have even made it into surgery so the vet helped her over the Bridge.

I sit here in tears trying to grasp it all, that she's really gone..Wendi is sending me a bit of her tail hair and I will wear it in a locket.

I have to say that family at Mustardseed Ranch are rare, truly a wonderful caring family and I feel Blessed that Shammy was with them.

Well think I'll go outside a while but today we were cleaning up the barn since the horses are gone now, and don't think I want to now, will just go get groceries and wash the truck:)

Thanks for letting me ramble on.Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no, I'm so sorry, Maxine, and to Wendi as well.
default_sad.png
What a beautiful mare Shammy was. My heart hurts for you both....

Oh, Minx, I am so sorry you lost a dear friend! My heart goes out to both you and her new owner! jennifer

Oh Maxine I'm so sorry to hear that your beloved Shammy is gone. I feel very badly for you and Shammy's new owner.
default_no.gif
Shammy was a beautiful gal.

I wanted to tell everyone but darned not until I could tell Maxine myself in person. We are all so devastated! She had only been here three weeks but had been examined twice by my vet, had her shots, had her teeth floated, and the weather finally broke and we drove her lightly on Saturday. We even let my three year old son ride her a few minutes. All in all we had her out 45 minutes and although she sisnt even work up a sweat the kids gladly walked her around the yard to "cool off". Sunday everyone was fine and we put her in her stall all comfy with her hay and feed and Monday morning at 8:00 I found her down and unable to get up. My dear sweet vet came right out and there was no choice. I rubbed her neck and told her how much her Mommy (meaning Maxine) and I loved her and what a good girl she was! We buried her in a beautiful spot and DH is helping the kids make and paint a cross this weekend. Vet swears there was nothing I did, or didnt do, and nothing I could have known. I feel horrible, not only for myself and my kids but for Maxine and Carl. We just knew right away what a wonderful and special horse she was and our short time with her was precious. I hate to say this, but I was thinking it, and my daughter who is heartbroken even said it-"Mommy I wish it had been one of the other horses.." .

Thanks for letting me share too..It has been eating me up inside as I have had no one to share with and would not dream of letting Maxine find out from any source other than me-Now It is out and I can cry on everyone elses shoulders.

Maxine a HUGE hug from afar to you-and I am soo sorry!!

My heart is going out to you........Wish there were some magic words.
default_no.gif

Sending big hugs to you both, it's heart breaking to lose our special friends, but remember not to blame yourself, you did the best you could.

<<HUGS>>

Dear Maxine, Carl & Wendi I am so terrible sorry for the loss of Shammy. I had the pleasure of knowing Shammy personally and she was a wonderful girl. I know your time with her was special and that she will always be in your hearts. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers. God Speed Shammy! You will be missed.

Tammie~

Oh Maxine, I'm so sorry. Shammy was one of the ones that I KNEW by name on here, just from reading your stories about her.

Latest posts

Back