My Ricky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&H Miniatures

Reaction score
Ricky was and still is in need of a hairdo. He had his feet clipped today and they had to take a lot off due to a big horse farrier not doing it right. He looks a lot better now and should be fine. My other new stallion, I am not so sure. My mini farrier said the farrier that did these obviously did not know what to do on minis. She said that it would take several trims on Duke. My poor little man. He may need stifle surgery because his feet were messed up some and now they lock. It is def not a breeding issue with him. He was moving so much better after his trim. She at first recommended the surgery, but after seeing how much better he was doing said let's see how he does after a couple of trims. She is awesome. Anyway, she also said exercise would be great for him. Is this true? Just learning.

Anyway I tied Ricky up this evening and tried my best at detangling the mess of mane and tail he has. He has a lot. It looks better but needs work. They are fairly new here so I started on his tail but didn't go to far into getting it detangled because he is just getting used to me. He is so awesome though. He is wonderful. Should I get a mane tamer to help with this mess of hair or what would you suggest doing. Here are some pictures from this evening after the detangling process. Thanks.

Here he is almost a month ago now.

l_64895ea5f4aa913860539e4ecca62ab7.jpg

l_c614ec6643ccb009a42b0e8069dbaeb3.jpg

Here is this evening.

l_4714bfd8c68cd30606561b018d56a484.jpg

l_0cc2da883b27339d373b87d408bd2d12.jpg

l_e5259bf1c4310e50aa03047640930090.jpg

He looks like he loved the attention
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
He really did seem to love the attention. He really loved the free scratching I gave on the left side of his neck. I know these guys were loved where I got them from but they were really busy as am I, but I want to have a little bit with them each evening as I can especially until they get used to the place.

I just love him. He is so sweet. The other one is not as trusting, but I hope he will be pretty soon.

I just can't help myself, I LOVE silver bays
default_smile.png
Someday maybe I'll even have one. lol If I were you (I am NOT an expert in the area of grooming) I would clip him a nice bridle path and then I'd thin his mane, that should help it hang smoother with out the mane tamer which I wouldn't use on a pasture horse. (Maybe he's not a pasture horse tho ) Just having less hair will help it not bush out so much and the bridle path will make getting his halter on and off easier too.

I just can't help myself, I LOVE silver bays
default_smile.png
Someday maybe I'll even have one. lol If I were you (I am NOT an expert in the area of grooming) I would clip him a nice bridle path and then I'd thin his mane, that should help it hang smoother with out the mane tamer which I wouldn't use on a pasture horse. (Maybe he's not a pasture horse tho ) Just having less hair will help it not bush out so much and the bridle path will make getting his halter on and off easier too.
He is a pasture horse as of right now, but I plan on learning to show him in the future. I will try clipping him a bridle path this evening or next. I just brought him home so I don't want to do too much at first. Kristy

Latest posts

Back