My retired brood mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful pic! and I like the cart too. Congrats on getting her going so nicely.
Thank you! None of the pictures of her trotting turned out. It's so hard to photograph a black horse, especially when she's in woolies.

The sulky is a very old Jerald that was used for miniature horse racing in Florida. The harness has the racing quick hitch on the saddle that snaps to the sulky shafts. Old, but serviceable for quick jaunts. I bought them from a retired racing guy (passed away now) who got into miniatures back in the early 90's. I sold the sulky once, but bought it back as it is such a useful vehicle.

Because of the quick hitch, it's very important to keep my weight firmly in the seat and not on the stirrups. I try to balance myself just on the seat, above the axle, and just have my feet very lightly in the stirrups. We've played "horse" with it, experimenting with pressure. I don't know if all sulkies are like that, or if the quick hitch makes it more exagerated.

I think Bridgette is looking good for 20 and 13 foals!

I submitted the photo and short explanation to the AMHA magazine. I thought it would be a great way to promote retired or older horses. They liked the idea, but did not want to use the photo of her because she is not wearing blinders. They said it is a safety issue.

You all know how hard it is to get a decent picture! I will try again, before she gets too wooly. I'll have to readjust my bridle with blinders to fit her. If I can't do it this fall, maybe I'll wait till next summer when she is sleek.

btw, did you notice my dog behind the sulky? That is where he always travels. Just like a little carriage dog!

My non-horse husband helped me with more photos and we finally got one that AMHA can use for Miniature Tales. The editor was excited about the idea of another illustration of how versatile miniatures are. I hope other owners of retired brood mares, or older geldings and stallions, will send in photos and stories of their horses at work and play. Maybe they will do a whole article on the subject!

She said at World's this year there were several stallions that had only done halter in the past competing in the driving classes.

This is the photo they accepted (I was so happy they did not require a check!):

www.cassphoto.com/bridgetmag.jpg

It was Bridgette's first time wearing blinders and she adjusted quickly.

I've never heard of mini horse racing. I think that would be neat to watch. Back in the early 80's my granddad had a bay mare about 33" that we showed with a sulky. A man in a pick up truck clocked us at 12mph at the trot. I thought that was pritty good but I really have no idea.

I've never heard of mini horse racing. I think that would be neat to watch. Back in the early 80's my granddad had a bay mare about 33" that we showed with a sulky. A man in a pick up truck clocked us at 12mph at the trot. I thought that was pritty good but I really have no idea.
I think the miniature horse racing never got off the ground because there wasn't enough money in it. Some speculators tried it, but the financial incentive wasn't there to sustain it.

Another nice pic and the lighting is great - she looks happy.

Funny about the blinders being seen as a safety issue. I guess for some horses it is. Mine has always gone in blinders but sometimes I have seen her eye looking back at me. We were on the trail yesterday and were overtaken by a speedy mountain biker. My friend's horse has not had blinders (10 drives now) and the mountain biker did not bother her in the least as she could see it.

Mine wearing blinders of course could not see what was passing (about a foot away from her) and although it was past her before she really became aware of the sounds (because I was yelling at the guy
default_smile.png
) I am thinking of changing to an open bridle. I will have to see how she takes that.

Some people say you absolutely need them so the horse pays attention to you and what is ahead. Other people are firmly fixed on no blinders.

I trained both my horses with blinkers, but have switched over to open bridles. Both boys are much more calm and really like to see what is coming up on them from behind. I did try putting one of them back in blinkers, but he spooked and took off with me when a noise behind him startled him (and me too!) At the National Drive this weekend, a guy popped out of a portapotty a few feet from us, and my horse barely flinched, and kept right straight ahead because he could see what made the noise. I don't show breed shows (one of my horses is a rescue so no papers) and ADS does not require blinkers, so I am very happy driving open. I'm not saying its for everyone but it works for me.

Thanks - yes, I think she may take traffic better when she can see what it is coming along.

Bridget is "pushing" the runabout Jerald now. She is responding well to pressure. I've been worried about giving her too much work too soon, but she is doing great. We've done 2 miles, mostly trotting, and yesterday we were out 1 1/2 hours, mostly walking, but working figure 8s at a trot also. Some large dogs rushed barking out of their yard at us (I was driving with another person) but both our horses only flicked an ear at them. The dogs had the hair up on their backs, but our calm passage defused them. The man was in the yard and called them, but they paid no attention to him. The episode led to a discussion about loose dogs, how fortunate we were to have sensible horses, and past dog experiences. We went down some inclines and she used the breeching with no trouble.

Doing road work with another driver shows me things I need to work on. She prefers one side of the road and I have to work to keep her on the side she doesn't prefer. She'd rather follow the other horse than lead; when he was behind her, she was uncomfortable not having him in sight. Driving by myself, I didn't notice those things.

Bridget is supposed to be in the December AMHA magazine. The article also features another older horse age 26! that placed in the top ten in showmanship! I hope this causes some potential miniature horse owners to think about older horses when they are shopping.

Latest posts

Back